Tuberolling the Mapletree Ear+
Mar 20, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not surprising. In general, I find 5751 types to sound more clear, direct, matter-of-fact compared to 12AX7's, which tend to have a more "airy," softer-edged, bloomier type of sound.

Sovtek 12AX7WA surprisingly offers more density, immediacy, and warmth when compared to my faves Sylv TMBP and GE 5 star 5751 when driving K1000, but for other 'phones, the 5751 types are preferred.

Has anyone directly compared Sovtek 12AX7LPS to Sovtek 12AX7WA or Sovtek 5751 and heard differences?

I myself hated the Sovteks! But then I don't have K1000's.

As I've said it all depends on system synergy. Not very helpful, I know, but then very few on this site have exactly the same system.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the grey plates a tad fuzzier overall with a little less extension at the top and bottom ends. The grey plates have a smaller soundstage as well, IMO.

Thanks ! Can you explain more about Black-Plate & Gray-Plate

in Thailand, I can find 5751 GE black plate with $62.50
and Gray-plate with $42

read from your opinion, it seem to 5751 GE Balck-Plate is really better
than Gray-Plate
lambda.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone directly compared Sovtek 12AX7LPS to Sovtek 12AX7WA or Sovtek 5751 and heard differences?

I will compare the 12AX7LPS and the 5751 in the next few days, if I find the time. Never heard of the 12AXWA, though. Is it very different?

Cheers
Kurt

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ! Can you explain more about Black-Plate & Gray-Plate

in Thailand, I can find 5751 GE black plate with $62.50
and Gray-plate with $42

read from your opinion, it seem to 5751 GE Balck-Plate is really better
than Gray-Plate
lambda.gif

I have both and been doing some swapping lately because I just got a new source and wanted to see how the tubes sound with it. The GE 5-star black plate seems just a bit more dynamic, a bit more refined, and has a bit more soundstage. It is not a huge difference though. The grey plate is a little more forgiving of bad recordings even though the Grado PS-1 as already pretty good even on the worse recordings. I could be perfectly happy with the grey plate.

I also have a Raytheon triple mica windmill getter (supposedly praised on some of the sites) and it just doesn't sound right to me. It's very pleasing but after awhile I notice it's not as dynamic and the soundstage is not as big. With the GE, sounds are all over the place and I'm wowed by the experience. The Raytheon doesn't grab me like that. Maybe it's just not great for rock music.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #20 of 45
I tried my cheap Sovtek 12AX7LPS that Lloyd shipped with the amp because he was out of the 5751 at the time (sent me one later). Anyway, it still sounded enjoyable, nice and smooth but is missing all the dynamics and punch of the 5751 GE's. I can see how some might think the GE can be harsh but they sound great with rock.

I also am currently using the grey plate GE 5-star after more testing because I found it has just a touch less bass which better for the PS-1. They were a few albums with the black plates that had just a bit too much bass. Everything still sounds very dynamic and the soundstage is still very good. I'll probably do some more swapping before I settle on the right tube. As I said, so very close that you probably wouldn't even notice the difference without really trying.

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 45
I don't like GE's: grey plates or blacks. I prefer the RCA 5751 TMBP to all others and then come the Raytheons and Sylvanias. I prefer the production Sovtek to GE 5 stars!

We all have different tastes in sound. I am not sure why the GEs all turn me off. They seem flat and lifeless.

But hey, we all like what we like and no one can take that away from us.

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like GE's: grey plates or blacks. I prefer the RCA 5751 TMBP to all others and then come the Raytheons and Sylvanias. I prefer the production Sovtek to GE 5 stars!

We all have different tastes in sound. I am not sure why the GEs all turn me off. They seem flat and lifeless.

But hey, we all like what we like and no one can take that away from us.

Must be a synergy thing because the GE 5 stars are the most dynamic in my system. The Sovtek actually didn't sound too bad but I didn't like the mids as much. I think the PS-1 sound pretty good out of anything so no matter what tube I try it still sounds good.

I think I'm sticking with the GE 5-star black plate. Has better punch so the drums sound more realistic. Maybe if I get the urge, I'll seek out some other tubes recommended here. It's fun to try out different sounds but then I get focused on listening to the changes instead of just enjoying the music.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 45
I have K-701 headphones that are very detailed and neutral. The RCAs add warmth. I sold all the GEs I got before I bought the K-701s. It's possible for example that with something like HD-650s, which are warm, the RCAs would sound like rotten tomattoes, while the GEs would sound good.

On the other hand, I have always liked the Sovtek.

Strange.

See if you can an RCA TMBP. They are a little hard to find.

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by munkong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where to order GE 5751 5 stars Black-plate ?
ship to worldwide
I'm a international user
icon10.gif

thanks

The U.S. ebay has some with worldwide shipping. You can keep checking back for the best deals and quality. I bought a few tubes off ebay and have had no problems. Just check their feedback. You can probably find any of the other tubes mentioned here on ebay too. Just don't get sucked into paying way too much. There are also some stickied threads that lists tube sites as well.

Kop Khun khrap

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #26 of 45
munkong;2816584 said:
where to order GE 5751 5 stars Black-plate ?
ship to worldwide
I'm a international user
icon10.gif

Sorry I cannot shop online for you and negotiate shipping to Asia; So I guess I'm of no help to you other than to point out where I bought mine online. @ http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/

Hope that helps you, and good luck ;-}

Edit: Good advice above ^ a trusted seller and the specific tube and reliable test results are important ebay can be a good source I wouldn't pay over $30 a tube though + shipping...

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the difference between a GE 5-star tube and a GE no-star tube?

Depends - 'bout 15 - 30 dollars
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O_O is the difference in sound worth the extra money? I'm not sure whether to spring for a 5-star NOS or a no-star JAN tube...

Depends- on the year (60's or earilier), if used tested "as new" then the reliability of the tester & equeptment, plates and mica 3m said to be quieter, the color of the print etc... But in general GEs do offer more lower end but how a specific tube sounds has a great many variables and some here in this short thread have various preferances, as you have read. I'd rather see you have two from which to choose and change up your balance of tone promenance with the same budjet. Some GEs or Sylvanias can be had for $10 - 15 bucks tested "as new" off ebay and as you can see from my link a NOS GE 5 star 3m can run $60 retail. No I do not think that is worth having one tube. I bought a used GE 5 star tested "as new" from them for $25 I believe, and to me, yes that is worth it to me. Having $100 in an assortment of tubes and back ups is reasonable especially if you have 3 different headphones. I notice, for instance, you also have a 990, which the GE may provide a bit much bass together and as I said above, I prefer my Sylavania with that can etc. Understand, the Black plates are in demand especially 3m whereas an "as new" tested GE 5star 2m grey plate may very well be nearly indestiguishable but fully have the GE house sound for you, etc...

Hope this helps in your decision~

Good luck~

Here's a deal IMOhttp://www.kcanostubes.com/products/348/ANOS-GE-5751-5-Star-Triple-Mica-Gray-Plates.htm

And her NOS indistinguishable No star GE [ur
l]http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/485/NOS-JAN-GE-5751-1967.htm[/url]

http://www.kcanostubes.com/products/...ray-Plates.htm I bought this same tube off ebay for $10+ 5 S&H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back