Tuberoller's favorite soundtracks
Dec 24, 2003 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
Anyone who has ever exchanged music with me knows that I love soundtracks. I have a great love of the 70's "Blaxploitation" movie soundtracks and I go to huge lengths to find these on vinyl and/or CD. There is some fantastic music on these soundtracks by some big named artists that you may not have known about.

My faves:

The Education of Sonny - This is killer soundtrack with some great ballads and some super funky "action tracks" if you like epic love songs and spectacular guitar work you'll love this one. It features songs by Don Covay and Ernie Isley.

Come Back Charleston Blue - A great Donny Hathaway performed,Quincy Jones composed soundtrack with some great tunes that have never been released on any other recording. The list of musicians on this recording sounds like a virtual who's who of greats. This is Donny Hathaway in his most raw and emotional form. There is a bit of overproduction on a few of the tracks but some of them are pure acoustic and sound great.

Trouble Man - this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen lifted by one of the greatest soundtracks ever. Marvin Gaye pulled out all the stops on this one and I feel it is one of his masterworks,only topped by "Lets Get it On". The songs here are some of the tightest ever recorded by anyone. You don't have to like R&B or Marvin Gaye to really enjoy this one. Every song is great. The sound quality is also top notch

Across 110th Street - If Bobby Womack has ever done anything better I have yet to hear it. The movie was aweful too but the music was just unreal. This is raw emotion pouring from your speakers(or headphones). Bobby just kills it and this music has stood the test of time. Listen to this disc and tell me if you don't think it could have been recorded yesterday by one of the modern " Neo Soul" or R&B artists.

Blackula - Grant Green and George Benson contribute to this soundtrack as uncredited performers in some goofy studio band put together to record the tracks for this really,really bad movie. The dueling jazz guitars sound incredible and Green and Benson are laying it all out. If you can find this one, listen to the almost constant backround music put down by Grant Green. His work is legendary here and was never heard anywhere else.

The Learning Tree - this was a great movie with a great soundtrack featuring the likes of Miles Davis,Herbie Hancock,Dexter Gordon,Art Blakey,Nina Simone,Nancy Wilson,Wayne Shorter and many others who contributed original songs to this movie as a favor to the director for no cost. None of the artists were credited for the soundtrack but were thanked in the closing credits of the movie. None of the songs from the movie soundtrack have ever been released on any other recording ,though some songs used in the movie,but not featured on the soundtrack,are previously released. This is one of the great jazz compilations ever and it was shamefully only pressed in a single run on vinyl.

I also like the soundtracks from Shaft,Superfly,Lady Sings the Blues,Mahogany,Claudine,Let's Do It Again,Carwash and and bunch of others,but my favs are the ones that standout for me and feature some great work. None of these are easy to find but if you do,I promise some great music and new discoveries.

Dec 24, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm very interested in checking out the The Learning Tree. Is it really available on vinyl only? I did a search of the internet & found it for sale in vinyl only sadly...

Argh this is one of those times when I want a turntable.

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Cool recommendations, Tube. Thanks! Quote:

What about Crossroads?

(spit take) LOL
biggrin.gif
!

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Blackula - Grant Green and George Benson contribute to this soundtrack as uncredited performers in some goofy studio band put together to record the tracks for this really,really bad movie. The dueling jazz guitars sound incredible and Green and Benson are laying it all out. If you can find this one, listen to the almost constant backround music put down by Grant Green. His work is legendary here and was never heard anywhere else.

Did you know that this classic was released on DVD along with "Scream, Blacula, Scream!"?

B0000VCZWA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Cool recommendations, Tube. Thanks!(spit take) LOL
biggrin.gif
!

Once again I pay for reading the thread too quickly. Tuberoller has the Crossroads soundtrack on vinyl and it sounds great although not on the same category as the others. Every time I vow that I will read the threads more closely; New Years is right around the corner I see a resolution coming.

Dec 28, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Did you know that this classic was released on DVD along with "Scream, Blacula, Scream!"?

B0000VCZWA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It will be coming out on January 20. Mark your calendars!

Dec 28, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

It is available on CD in the UK and available by import from Amazon or Barnesandnoble.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back