Tubed speaker amps for K1000.
Jan 18, 2004 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Hajime

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello there,

I heard the AKG K1000's with the Fisher 400 again yesterday at the Milwaukee meet and loved the combination for the second time. I'm definitely going to get a pair of K1000's. The Fisher looks like a great piece of equipment also, but I am curious; does anyone have any recommendations for tubed speaker amps under $800? I'd be using these with the K1000's and whatever speakers I decide on in the future (probably PSBs). Thanks.

Jan 19, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 22
I've been very pleased with my nOrh SE9 in combo with the K1000. However, at 8 wpc, it's not much of a speaker amp.

I know that nOrh makes a 16 wpc amp, the SE16, which I believe is within your budget. Someone on these boards had one (sorry, don't remember who), and they might be able to give you a better idea about it.

I've got a Fisher that I'm itching to rebuild, but I'm afraid that it's going to break down into simpler elements by the time I get around to it. I'm glad that I have the nOrh.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 22
On a budget, the nOrh se9, at US$395 shipped, is hard to beat. Roll in some better tubes, get the SAA Equinox cable, and you still come in under $700. At 9wpc, it will power some small, efficient speakers too.

For a little bit more (~$1000), the RKV is an even better choice for the K1000's specifically, imo. But that is not really designed primarily for speaker use (you need the Impedanzer add-on to do that).

TTVJ is selling a relatively inexpensive Sophia amp for the K1000's, but I've not heard it to comment. Looks purty tho'. Their EL34 looks even nicer.

Jan 19, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 22
Hajime, jpelg had the nOrh amp for sale awhile back. he may still have it. If you want to read a review about the norh amps and the K-1000 check out www.6moons.com for the review. The SE16 is supposed to be the same as the SE9 only twice the power. Hope this helps you out some.
edit: Oh well jimmy got to you first. Good luck in finding an amp.

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 22
Thank you for all of your recommendations. I heard the Sophia amp yesterday and did not like it as much as the Fisher. The SE16 sounds interesting but the only amps I could find on their website is the SE9 and SE18.

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 22
The SE18 is the one....

Jan 19, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 22
The Fisher 400 is an incredible piece. I can't recommend it highly enough -- you probably won't find any new gear anywhere near the price of a used Fisher 400 that performs as well. The output transformers alone (custom, heavy grain-oriented steel) would cost $120 each new these days. It's worth waiting around to find one in good condition. You do want the Fisher Doc mods installed though -- I bought the Fisher Doc kit but procrastinated about installing it and my Fisher 400 ended up catching fire. But when it was working, it was something special.

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 22
Eldrod-tom,

Thanks for the clarification. If I find a SE18 used I might go for it.

Wodgy,

I would not buy a Fisher 400 that didn't have the mods. Having it go up in flames is scarry!

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 22
I'm driving my K1000 with Bottlehead's Paramour SET 2A3 tube monoblocks.
They are only 3.5 Watts each, but they also do a very nice job powering my high efficient Straight 8 speakers.

It also depends on the type of music you typically listen to. My setup is great for Jazz and Classical, but lacks power for loud Rock.

Jan 19, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
If I find a SE18 used I might go for it.

Hajime,

The SE18 has two advantages:

1. A built-in phono stage. If you plan to assemble a vinyl rig now or in the future, this will save you some $$.
2. Double the output. At 18wpc it will drive a wider range of speakers and with greater authority.

But it has one disadvantage. It's overall sound is actually not quite as sweet as the SE9, especially when the SE9 has been tuberolled. I believe this to be due to the SE18's solid-state rectifier. The SE9 rectifier is tubed, which can be rolled to great advantage. Rolling the EL34's on the SE18 has a much less dramatic effect, imo.

Both are beautiful, and bargains for what they do, and especially for what they cost. Pick your feature-set, and pays your money. Btw, the SE18 has a lot of tubes, and therefore generates a load of heat when in operation. nOrh doesn't call it their 'apartment fireplace' for nothing. Just an FYI.

My .02

Jan 19, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
But it has one disadvantage. It's overall sound is actually not quite as sweet as the SE9, especially when the SE9 has been tuberolled. I believe this to be due to the SE18's solid-state rectifier. The SE9 rectifier is tubed, which can be rolled to great advantage.

That's especially funny/strange as the SE9 page boasts:[size=xx-small] Quote:

If you look at other Single Ended (SE) amplifiers, you will notice that the SE 9 appears to have an extra tube. That is because many tube amplifiers will use a 10 cent diode instead of a $12.95 rectifier tube. We use the 5AR4 rectifier tube.

[/size]and [size=xx-small] Quote:

5AR4 rectifier tube (not a 10-cent diode)

[/size]I think the Fisher 400 looks like the best option so far.

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 22
Does anyone else have any recommendations for tubed power amps in the sub-$800 market? The Fisher sounds so good but the prospect of replacing all of those tubes is daunting.

Jan 20, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 22
I scored a nice Fisher 400 with the wood case for $150. I ordered the Fisher doc kit (I'm still waiting, and waiting, and waiting.....) for about $110 (with some spare knob caps) and now the hunt is on for tubes. Tube prices vary hugely and the selection will make you dizzy. I figure I'll spend at least another $150 for the 4 12AX7 tubes in the V9-V12 spots. Then I'll have to try and score the 7868 powertubes which are going to be big bucks if I can even find them. I'm listening to it now (with a fire extinguisher nearby, thanks Wodgy!!
smily_headphones1.gif
), bone stock and it sounds great. I really don't think I'd have to touch it except for the Fisher doc kit but I can never leave well enough alone.

Hey Wodgy, you have anything left of that 400 you want to sell? Did the tubes survive? Lol! Did yours have the selenium rectifier? Mine was a later model and didn't have it. I have the newer(silicone?) rectfier.

Jan 20, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Oops, I forgot. If you want to save up a few extra bucks, buy yourself a Fisher X from www.2baudio.com I think it's like $1100 but it comes modified and also those 7868 tubes are replaced with ones you can actually get if they go bad.

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 22
The thought of retubing a Fisher 400 scared me off. I think you could get into a pricey situation there. The K1000's were set up at the Milwaukee show with the Sophia Baby. Did you try that? If so did you try both the Berktech and Equinox cable? The Berktech was the clear winner from everyone I talked to. I think the Baby is a very special amp especially with speakers. It mated very well with my Straight 8's. Nice mid bass slam and midrange lushness. Also very holographic and pinpoing images. It does seem to accentuate the highs a tad but its not peaky and the low bass can be the slightest bit wooly but that is a hell of an amp. I am using the SE EL 84 International Audio Group amp with my K1000. The EL84's run in triode mode at about 2 watts. It too was at the Milwaukee show. Its the one that looks like a waffle iron. Unfortunately I broke a tube and we couldn't use it. This amp is plenty to drive the AKGs. They move lots of air, good bass slam. Some nice image placement going on too. I like electronic music and it can blow your mind with some of the stuff going on in your head. The IAG is also softer on top which is the direction you want to be in with the 1000s, high end is more laid back than the Sophia. Run it with some good NOS tubes. I use the Tungsram. I got mine from Horace Atkins. Hopefully he is still repping them. He's a good guy. Again, the K1000s sounded best with the Berktech Cable over the Equinox. I like the Canare Starquad cable too. From Full Compass, about $15 in parts if you roll your own.
I've been curious about the DIY " Darling" amp. I think it only puts out 3/4 of a watt but that might be enough. I just saw one that went on A-gon but otherwise you have to get out your soldering iron and get to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back