Tube vs. SS Electrostatic amps
Feb 1, 2008 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wower

1000+ Head-Fier
This issue has been rattling around my brain as I plan a jump into the world electrostatics but after searching and getting scant response I decided it time to turn to the gigantic brain that is head-fi.org: What does a tube amp do for Stax? (Especially the O2.) Electrostatics are so different in nature I can't imagine the differences between tubes and SS. Is there a reason people perfer tubes on the higher-end electrostatic amps? Isn't the KGSS enough? I'm interested in the more esoteric sonic characteristics than any specific amp. And what about the voltage-swing factor and such? Thanks in advance!

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This issue has been rattling around my brain as I plan a jump into the world electrostatics but after searching and getting scant response I decided it time to turn to the gigantic brain that is head-fi.org: What does a tube amp do for Stax? (Especially the O2.) Electrostatics are so different in nature I can't imagine the differences between tubes and SS. Is there a reason people perfer tubes on the higher-end electrostatic amps? Isn't the KGSS enough? I'm interested in the more esoteric sonic characteristics than any specific amp. And what about the voltage-swing factor and such? Thanks in advance!

The reason the highest priced amps for Stax are tubed is because people in general want tubes in their expensive amps... the differences are strictly between tubes and transistors in audio in general, nothing specific to Stax.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 17
Well. I have a tube amp myself. But do tube's euphonic musical characteristics translate as well on eletrostatics as dynamics? I'm looking for something more descriptive. Are any details lost going valves with stax?

Feb 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Well. I have a tube amp myself. But do tube's euphonic musical characteristics translate as well on eletrostatics as dynamics? I'm looking for something more descriptive. Are any details lost going valves with stax?

Lets put it like this - with Stax you are going to be getting more detail with a tube amp than a dynamic will ever give you. Your main worry here is the amp being slow, or blurring in the first place, because Stax will let you hear that very explicitly. On the other hand - tubes or transistors, an amp can be fast if designed well. Depending on the headphone, you might want the more euphonic signature, or more analytical (and depending on your tastes). When you get that high up in gear, detail levels are so high that you tend to start worrying more about the tonality (at least most people I spoke to do) ... But in the end...its really up to the design of the amp. A good push-pull pentode design can be just as analytical as a similar JFET amp.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its really up to the design of the amp. A good push-pull pentode design can be just as analytical as a similar JFET amp.

Well. I'm sure some will disagree but I don't have the experience to say. Thanks for the insight. Your comments about tonality are spot on. I wish I had thought of it.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 17
Tubes are voltage sources; transistors are current sources. So if you want maximum voltage swing, tube is the way to go. And since electrostats need voltage, tubes are more common among the high-end e-stat amps. Although this is not always the case, since the SS SRM-727 has more voltage swing than the tube SRM-007t. But if you are going to go for the "ultimate" e-stat amp, tubes would be the way to go.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 17
This thread has been fruitful. Thank you. One follow up: does the ability to hook the eletrostatics right to the tubes lend the unit a more transparent sound sig? Because there is less stuff in way of the circuit?

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes are voltage sources; transistors are current sources. So if you want maximum voltage swing, tube is the way to go. And since electrostats need voltage, tubes are more common among the high-end e-stat amps.

yes I understood it this way too.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Tubes are voltage sources; transistors are current sources. So if you want maximum voltage swing, tube is the way to go. And since electrostats need voltage, tubes are more common among the high-end e-stat amps.

Thats what I have understand as well.
That with a tube amplifier the tubes provide the voltage swing needed to drive the electrostatic panel. While a solid state amplifier need a massive transformer to convert the current to high voltage. Which 'might' degrade the sound quality.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I have understand as well.
That with a tube amplifier the tubes provide the voltage swing needed to drive the electrostatic panel. While a solid state amplifier need a massive transformer to convert the current to high voltage. Which 'might' degrade the sound quality.

Not always, the KGSS doesn't use a transformer to convert current into voltage, and it has more power than either the 007t and the 727II.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 17
I have only a single reason for preferring tubes for ANY set of cans: I'm able to vary the sound to suit my particular taste. If I prefer more lows I find a set of tubes that give more lows. Same for mids and of course highs. Plus, with a couple of tube adapters I can find some REALLY cheap tubes to toy with and find just the right sound for my listening tastes.

Solid state for the most part comes with a sound you're stuck with - no ability to alter the sound. My old KGSS was good, but you can do nothing to alter the sound of the unit itself.

Feb 2, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Not always, the KGSS doesn't use a transformer to convert current into voltage, and it has more power than either the 007t and the 727II.

Oh, I thought the KGSS use a transformer as well.
But now I know better.

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 17
One more thing when considering the tube amp is asking yourself if you can provide a stable environment for it. Because the tube amp is relatively more sensitive with the environment particular like humidity. This not only affects its performance but also the reliability.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

This thread has been fruitful. Thank you. One follow up: does the ability to hook the eletrostatics right to the tubes lend the unit a more transparent sound sig? Because there is less stuff in way of the circuit?

Fewer items in the signal path will yield a more transparent sound if every thing else is equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back