Tube VS Solid State?
Nov 23, 2003 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kenny12

1000+ Head-Fier
Which of the two is best value for money??

I might get a DT880 soon and i'm looking at a MG Head or some other solid state amp

I've also spotted this
http://www.av-2000.com/testzhang/t2a-t2.1a.htm

which can be bought for ~200USD apparently its really good looking at a thread a while back

which of the two amps is better? what are their maintaince costs?? i don't really want to spend 100+ tube rolling to get a good sound.

Nov 23, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 19
Welcome to Head-Fi Kenny12. This question has been asked many a time on these forums. Since audio is such a subjective thing there is only one way to know which you will prefer for sure, and that is to audition both then judge for yourself. BTW, as for your concern about tube expenditures, most of the MG-Heads that come up for sale here already have tube upgrades, so all you'll have to do is connect to your CDP and your in business.

Nov 23, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 19
Like GlowWorm said; it's all very subjective. Some prefer one over the other, some like both and some will swear that one is superior to the other.

But; Yes, judge for yourself by "Listening" and auditioning.

Nov 23, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 19
Hi,

Do what I did - get pally with a nice member on the forums and request them to send you an amp or two which they are not using. Get one SS and one TUBE amp and give them both a listen. Try to get two amps in the same price range...

I have the MG Head OTL and the Creek OBH-11SE - I am listening to them both right now - borrowed from a member...

I will not tell you what my choice is so that I dont influence your decision but I have told you the procedure...

Nothing like actually listening and making up your mind yourself...

If you want - email me and I will give you my feedback. Dont want to post about it here...

Nov 24, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 19
hi,

I've tried the G&W T2A with the DT880 and here's my feel about it.

1. Thin sounding
2. Slightly bright
3. Lack drive, small soundstage

Definitely not for recommendation.

Edit: Note that these comments are based on the factory-installed tubes.

Nov 24, 2003 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 19
so what do you guys recommend for a ss or tube amp??

I guess my budget would be ~1k australian dollars, which traslate to ~700USD.

remember i have to buy a headphone too
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 19
Do you like bass? I'm thinking you might, given your choice in headphones.

I'd recommend that you consider an Emmeline XP-7 by Ray Samuels Audio. Nice little portable amp...I'm getting tons of use out of mine, and it sounds GREAT!! Blows away just about anything I've heard in its price range (approx $500). It will give you stunning bass!!

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 19
A tube amp that is truly a bargin and worth a lot more for the sound quality it provides is the 395.00 singlepower PPX.
Tubes Rule
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 19
I suggest a Sennheiser HD-580 and a MG Head or Singlepower or one of those tube amps. Try something different for a change!!

Use the spare change to buy more tubes and have fun tuberolling to find the sound that suits your music. I have tuberolled around 10 different tubes and I have classified them according to the music genre that they suit. When I am listening to a particular genre I just change tubes for the best experience!!

Tubes are the way to go if you are bored of those oh so common humbug SS amps
smily_headphones1.gif

besides - they look waaay cool, mature, funky and glow in the night...they are also room heaters
tongue.gif

600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 19
I don't think there is a more subjective argument. You really have to hear for yourself to decide what you like. My tastes run towards laid back music that is produced with human voice, acoustic instruments. I greatly prefer tubes over solid state for this type of music. I suppose that if you are into heavy rock music or dance etc, solid state would preferable. I just think tubes reproduce sound more naturally.

Nov 25, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #13 of 19
i recommend solid state for DT880, to pull them out of their politness.
strongly recommending the XP-7 for them. dream combo.
it's a very warm combo, BTW - somewhat tubey sound with SS power that puts out the best of them. infact, it's one of the warmest sounds i ever heard - much more warm then the EMP.

as mr. elrod tom said, the bass is great. fast, tight, dynamic. like a string that knows exactly when to vibrate and how much.

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I don't think there is a more subjective argument. You really have to hear for yourself to decide what you like. My tastes run towards laid back music that is produced with human voice, acoustic instruments. I greatly prefer tubes over solid state for this type of music. I suppose that if you are into heavy rock music or dance etc, solid state would preferable. I just think tubes reproduce sound more naturally.

I totally agree. Its all subjective but very much influenced by the type of music you listen to. Hard rock, metal or some variant of techno just sounds better on solid state amps (at least to me). I really like my MG Head (yes, like some stated the glow of the tubes is really cool as well) but it really depends on the type of music I listen to at any given time. Same goes for headphones. Get both!
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Well to start you can't go wrong either way, a heaphone amp will make your can's sound better no matter which way you turn, I myself have a Singlepower Supra (tube amp) and I love it, the main difference is how you like your sound, as far as detail is concerned they about cancel each other out, though I find solid states to have a slight edge. The main difference is how you like your sound, and you'll simply have to listen to them in order to make up your mind. In terms of headphones I would equate a Sennhieser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 sound to a solid state, and the RS-1's and Sony CD3k's to a more tube like sound. But again its just personal opinion. Oh, and tube rolling is fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back