Tube source
Feb 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 21
There seem to be a lot of Cary 303/300 - that isn't a good sign. Really leaning toward Ayon or Raysonic (to mod) - but I'll look into the suggestions.

Oh, and players without XLR outs are, well, out.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 21
Raysonic has nice layout and tubes are easily accessible which I love due to tube rolling.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 21
I have a tube-based system (linestage, phono, and amps are tube-based), but I am not inclined toward tube digital gear. What part of a digital source is really provided by the tube? Often the tube is just an output buffer or one stage of unneeded amplification. While a tube can be inserted into what is inherently a solid state chain, that generally means trying to artificially create a "tube" sound.

Vacuum State, makes mostly tube gear, as their name implies, but their modifications do not involve adding tubes. I've heard their modification to the Sony SCD-1 machine and the sound is terrific. I like the sound from my non-tube based cd player too (Naim CD555).

The one line of tube-based digital gear that I think sounds really good are the Audionote DACs. But, these can be terribly expensive. I've heard the Ayon in a system with Ayon amplification and the system sounded pretty good, but, I haven't heard that player in my own system or in any sort of side-by-side comparison.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #19 of 21
Looks like a Shanling CD-T1500 - we'll see what it does. Anyone know if the 6n23 or 6n1p is a direct drop in for the 6922 on this machine? It comes with EH6922, which will work, but, not for long.

Not after the 7308 / Amperex / Bugleboy / Siemens weinie chase - no exotic glass. Been there, got a rash.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #20 of 21
pabbi1, there is a guy in the for sale sources forum that is giving away an Accuphase DP-75v which is imo and many others opinion one of the best cd players in the world, it retailed for 12k. You should seriously consider this, it beats any of the players discussed here hands down! Accuphase is top top, beyond meitner, wadia, etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fi...2000-a-468850/

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pabbi1, there is a guy in the for sale sources forum that is giving away an Accuphase DP-75v which is imo and many others opinion one of the best cd players in the world, it retailed for 12k. You should seriously consider this, it beats any of the players discussed here hands down! Accuphase is top top, beyond meitner, wadia, etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fi...2000-a-468850/

Very nice - but, the other deal is done. I'll re-evaluate sources once I better know the rest of my chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back