Tube source
Jan 30, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
It is time I finally focus on the source, again, since the Cambridge 840c is what I have currently. Pretty sure I want tube in ther next go, and have been readig about the following:

Shanling T-150
Shanling CD3000 (Underwood L2 mod w/clock)
Raysonic CD-168
Raysonic CD-128 (Underwood modded)
Ayon CD 7
Ayon CD 2

Somewhere up to $3.5k cost (not retail).

Now, the Marantz SA11 (or SA7) are enticing, but afraid it takes me where I am now - unhappy with SS, though, I do like setting my amp directly on the source, so a top loader will cause rack issues.

Just getting started with this, but curious just how many good options there are. A dedicated DAC through the 840c is NOT a good option, as I do NOT want more moving parts.

Jan 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 21
If you're looking for an entirely tubed source, have you considered a tuner? I think Magnum Dynalab has a few entirely tubed models, and quite a few were produced in the 1950s and early 1960s. I use an older H.H. Scott 350B. Nine tubes and it does FM in stereo. It had to be recapped and aligned, but it works wonderfully and sounds great. Add a DIY outdoor antenna and it is a strong performer. If you have good radio stations in the area, a good tuner is worth thinking about.

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 21
I have 2 options for you, if you like. One SS and one Tube based

1. Ayre CX-7e
2. Unison Research Unico CD player

These two are the best I tried so far, one of them I own, not because its better, no, it was within my budget.

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 21
The new Unison Research Primo is very good for the money, or you could look at the Audio Note 1.1x or 2.1x (depending on budget).

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 21
Al, did you ever try Marc's Audio Sector DAC-1? It's SS but very warm and easy going and by far the best NOS dac I've ever heard. Cheap too if you DIY it.

The best tube source I've ever heard is my APL (custom Lundahl's and ECC99 FTW!!) but I can't really recommend it due to crappy build quality and a flaky builder.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 21
The modwright-modded Sony XA5400ES is supposedly almost ready. Tube analog output stage, external tube power supply, new masterclock. I believe new units sourced from modwright are right around your budget.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al, did you ever try Marc's Audio Sector DAC-1? It's SS but very warm and easy going and by far the best NOS dac I've ever heard. Cheap too if you DIY it.

The best tube source I've ever heard is my APL (custom Lundahl's and ECC99 FTW!!) but I can't really recommend it due to crappy build quality and a flaky builder.

I *think I heard it with the FET thing, but, not extensively, and i also didn't listen to the Buffalo32, which would be high on my list to try, since that is something that I could DIY reasonably with the Azur, which I can't even fix the remote on....

Really can't get the extra box / cable thing to go down so smooth. What I would REALLY like to do is get something like the Shanling CD3000 and do the mods myself, as it seems I have a lot of the Takman / Riken resistors, and some of the acceptable replacement caps. At $1k, I could stand to work it and not freak out if I bugger something, assuming almost anything can be recovered. What irks me about the modders is that balanced costs almost double, where I don't care one bit about SE. For $2k in their cost, I can probably spend $600 and make the changes IFF I can get everything else back together.

What I am not liking so far is that all the tube output stage players seem to be top load, though I just have to get over that.

Now, the Marantz units have always intrigued me (mainly because I can sit the amps on top of them), but, SS output. I have heard Wayne's Shanlings (the t200 and LOVE the T300), so I know i can generally be happy with the Shanling approach.

Oh, anyone know if the T150 is just a better cased T100, or is it some hybrid between the T100 and T200?

May just get a Shanling for now (not sure which one), then plan some DIY upgrade. I am so tired of only screwing up amps. As Trent Reznor says, nothing quite like the feel of something new.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 21
The only problem I've had with modding CDP's is that they are sometimes a pain to disassemble but other then that it should be easy. Go for it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 21
My only problem is the reassemble... :)

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 21
Any chance a dac like the Monarchy NM24 DAC would work? You could use your current 840C as a transport and the Monarchy can be found occasionally on sale in Audiogon for $1,080 plus S&H. The Monarchy sports a tube as well as an SS DAC. I have owned one for about 18 months and I am quite happy.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 21
It's a little below your available budget, but I bought a Audio By Van Alstine Fet-Valve DAC, which is a tube - solid-state hybrid DAC. I have been very pleased with the sound - much better with red-book CD's than either the Sony 555ES or Denon DVD-5900 decks I had (I actually sold the Sony after getting the AVA, and also light-years better than the (admittedly much cheaper) Music Hall 25.2.

At $1,700 , it's not cheap, but not uber-expensive, either. I love it.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only problem is the reassemble... :)

I hear ya. I'm going to strip down my APL soon to remove all the black chassis parts and replace them with silver. I'm also going to install a custom made SumR step down transformer inside the unit. Should be a major headache that one...
ph34r.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 21
Give me convenience or give me death. Just no on keeping the Azur - I simply have to make it a single unit. The wife underastands changing units, but, not adding them. Makes listening far more enjoyable when she isn't screaming at me.

One other important thing I forgot (and keep forgetting) - I'd like it to be SACD (something the Azur is not). I have a bunch of SACD I keep forgetting about.
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 21
Al, you should check out the Audio Note kits. If you can, you should hear one. These are the most "analog-like" dacs I've ever heard. They start at about $1,200 and have an easy and well designed upgrade path that tops out at about $2,500. For that price, you get a completely transformer coupled signal path with 5687 outputs, a tube rectified and regulated B+ supply, and a complete Blackgate, tantalum, silver wire, digital board. This is the path that I'm on. If you like the nos/filterless approach, these kits punch way above their price range.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 21
If you need sacd I'd check out the Exemplar or Modwrights. For redbook only either the BAT VK-D5 or D5se. These are wonderful players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back