tube, solid state, and hybrid kit ratings/reviews
Dec 20, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #31 of 32
The Bottlehead kits are point-to-point.  Don't be afraid of it.  PCBs are clean-looking and labelled, but point-to-point works well.  You have to plan ahead a bit, but it gives you a lot of flexibility for parts.  Axial or radial caps are no problem.  You can build very compact circuits, too.  No worries about damaging a trace, either.  Damaged wires come right out.  You can place parts where you want them.

Don't worry too much about HV, either.  Standard safety procedures will keep you safe.  I bring new toys and restorations up slowly with a variac and an isolation transformer.  If something goes wrong, I can kill the power without touching the chassis.  I take measurements by clipping alligator clips to the test points with the power off.  I don't stick probes into a live chassis.  Be mindful and you can push risk down to practically nothing.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #32 of 32
I just cant get over how sexy the bijou kit looks. Am I right in thinking the bijou kit is high current? If I were to build any of the bottlehead kits it would be the SEX. That would make the most sense for me, considering i'll be experimenting with passive speakers and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back