Tube Power Supplies
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rayvolution

Head-Fier
Does having a tube output stage make an audible difference? Woo Audio has separate tubed power supplies, some tube amps I've seen only have tube input stages as in the Ayon HA-3 and PS Audio BHK 300.

Paul McGowan of PS Audio himself said tube output stages suck. But a lot of companies still use them and they seem to be quite heralded. So what makes a tube output stage truly different than a solid state? Is there an audible difference? Is it just because power tubes are the biggest and therefore the coolest?

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 6
having such output implies a bunch of potential consequences that could lead to a different sound, mostly depending on the load(headphone). I'm not personally big on such designs because I value stability even more than fidelity. but as you say, they still exist and some people seem to love that. I'm not sure why but there could be more than objective reasons.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 6
having such output implies a bunch of potential consequences that could lead to a different sound, mostly depending on the load(headphone). I'm not personally big on such designs because I value stability even more than fidelity. but as you say, they still exist and some people seem to love that. I'm not sure why but there could be more than objective reasons.

I guess my question more specifically is ignoring the input tube debate do power tubes make a difference on their own? Could you in theory have an amp (tube or solid state) that accepts some form or external DIN connection sound different if it were to be plugged into a Tube/SS power source? Is there any science behind making a tube output stage over a solid state. Using an oscilloscope would there be a performance difference or is power just power as long as the current is within normal operating range?

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 6
my own understanding is sadly lacking in this domain, so I'll let those who know their stuff answer this. but from a pure notion of testing, I can't really imagine a real life experiment where only the tube/SS variation will be put in place. the power requirement and other designs will usually change in some ways, often tube designs will have an output with higher impedance. not necessarily because they have to, but more because those who favor such design also often happen to have a thing against negative feedback and stuff like that. I would bet that some decisions go beyond simple electrical laws.
it's a little like the argument between discreet DAC and delta sigma DAC, when you decide to design something a certain way, you usually have the opportunity to design "around" such system, so it's really hard to find a fair situation where it's an honest 1 to 1 comparison.
but again, I'm only making assumption, some designers or passionate DIYers might have a more realistic understanding of those things. in the end I'm basically a noob with an opinion ^_^.

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 6
I guess my question more specifically is ignoring the input tube debate do power tubes make a difference on their own? Could you in theory have an amp (tube or solid state) that accepts some form or external DIN connection sound different if it were to be plugged into a Tube/SS power source? Is there any science behind making a tube output stage over a solid state. Using an oscilloscope would there be a performance difference or is power just power as long as the current is within normal operating range?
Until fairly recently soviet MIG fighters used vacuum tubes.They are immune to EMP weapons....so your stereo would still work during a nuclear blast:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back