Tube Phono Pre
Feb 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

samsquanch

500+ Head-Fier

I'm currently looking at the Bottlehead Seduction pre with C4S upgrade kit.  Are there "better" tube kits for the money (sub $500), or maybe a good schematic online to build from?

Or even, a decent store bought pre that can be modded into something awesome? 

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Maybe pick up a copy of "Audio Reality" (http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Audio_Reality.html) from Bruce Rozenblit for $20. It has plans for a nice tube phono preamp in it. I have the book and intend to build this sooner or later. You can get the parts for $200-$300.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Hmm, I think I just might check that out.  Tubes have always been something that make little sense to me, more of a solid state guy, is there a decent amount in there about tubes?  If so then I just might be sold.

Edit:  Eh, what's wrong with some extra resources? Bought it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 7
There is the Hagerman Cornet 2, which is supposedly $500 in raw parts, which is the one I have. Is it an upgrade from the Seduction? Reading around the web, it seems it's more a question of preference.

There are also the Transcendent Sound Phono Stage, the Bottlehead Eros and the K&K Audio phono stages, but they break your budget. I do not know any other design, but then again, schematics don't interest me.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 7
I've looked into the akido before, but the boards are always out of stock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back