Tube or Solid state amp for K701
Jun 2, 2009 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

djevoultion

100+ Head-Fier
hey head-fi

which amp would be better in driving the K701 ?

A tube amp (Little Dot MK III, EF1)

or a Solid State (Corda Cantate)

Let me know please

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 21
The Corda Cantate is supposed to be really good with the k701s.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 21
Honestly I've tried Corda Cantate with 701, and it didn't work for me, and I end up buying a tube amp.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 21
I'd listen to him, I'm not speaking through any PE, only what I've read. However, solid state and tubes are totally different. Do you [djevoultion] have any experience with amps, tubes, or SS?

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 21
I've been very happy with my EF1 + K701 combination, I've liked it better than the two SS amps I've had (LD MKV, Compass).

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been very happy with my EF1 + K701 combination, I've liked it better than the two SS amps I've had (LD MKV, Compass).

The EF-1 sounds like a good idea, it sould sound super nice when you find the right tube to suit your tastes.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 21
Be careful if you decide to go with tubes. The K-701 is a 62 Ohm headphone and also very inefficient. That's on the low side for impedance and most inexpensive OTL tube amps will struggle, due to their high output impedance. Impedance matching between the output impedance and the headphone impedance is critical for power going from the amp to the headphones. The K-701 is inefficient, so if you lose a lot of power with an impedance mismatch, then you won't power them adequately.

If you want to get output impedance down around where the K-701's impedance is (and impedance matching is very important), then you'll either want an amp with output transformers or a solid state amp.

Output transformers usually add at least a couple hundred to the price of an amp (iron ain't cheap - transformers are always the most expensive parts) so you're going to pay for them. Don't think you're going to find anything good for $200 or $300, because good output transformers can cost that much by themselves.

The least expensive way to get a suitable output impedance for the K-701 is with a good solid state amp. Solid state has lost some popularity lately, but it can sound really, really good. I think my next project will be finally putting the Beta22 together. Man, does that thing sound good.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 21
The EF1 is a good potential choice. I have not owned K701's in a long time, but I agree with Uncle Eric than an OTL amp may struggle with the 701, whereas a tube-ss hybrid like the EF1 will handle it fine, and still offers the ability to tube-roll in order to fine-tune the sound.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Yup. EF1 sounds great with my K701 with the Sylvania Tube (with its best effect being killing off those upper mids a little). It's always great being able to tube roll so to a certain degree you'll find something that will cater to what you want in the K701. You'll also be able to roll opamps in later versions too, IIRC, so that's even more customization right there.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 21
djevolution: From what I've read, you want to avoid Output Transformerless (OTL) Tube amps due to their insufficient power. A Hybrid amp (Tubes with SS Output Stage) should be ok as well. I have the Canamp, and as you can tell from the PM, I am absolutely blown away by the combination. It far surpasses anything I've ever heard. Granted, that's not all that much, but it's a purchase that I will long be happy with.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I generally preferred it with the SS Zero and Compass. The LD MKIII was still good but but it felt like it was fighting the K701 rather than complimenting it.

The Mk III is an OTL and not a hybrid like the EF-1 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back