Tube headphone amps with tube rectifier
Oct 6, 2003 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there many out there?

I often read that tube rectifers (for plate supply) are better than any type of solid state diode in terms of sound quality,is this true?

Oct 6, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N

I often read that tube rectifers (for plate supply) are better than any type of solid state diode in terms of sound quality,is this true?

Based on my limited exposure, sometimes. Tube rectification can be the cause of "slowness" or "softness" in a tube amp. Solid state rectification can bring the speed of a tube amp up to that of a solid state amp, without sacrificing the advantages of tubes in the signal path. I've heard a Wheatfield HA-2 that uses a rectifier tube, but wouldn't trade my EAR HP4 or Singlepower Supra for it, as both are better sounding amps to me (both use solid-state rectification, as do Earmax Pro, Moretto HAP-03 and a host of others). YMMV. OTOH, the HA-2 has a "tubey"sound that, of my amps, only the Moretto comes close to. It's a lushness that really blooms in the midrange. It may not be the ultimate in detail, but it's fun to listen to. Somebody with more experience with tube-rectified amps may be able to shed more light on the subject.

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Based on my limited exposure, sometimes. Tube rectification can be the cause of "slowness" or "softness" in a tube amp. Solid state rectification can bring the speed of a tube amp up to that of a solid state amp, without sacrificing the advantages of tubes in the signal path. I've heard a Wheatfield HA-2 that uses a rectifier tube, but wouldn't trade my EAR HP4 or Singlepower Supra for it, as both are better sounding amps to me (both use solid-state rectification, as do Earmax Pro, Moretto HAP-03 and a host of others). YMMV. OTOH, the HA-2 has a "tubey"sound that, of my amps, only the Moretto comes close to. It's a lushness that really blooms in the midrange. It may not be the ultimate in detail, but it's fun to listen to. Somebody with more experience with tube-rectified amps may be able to shed more light on the subject.

you're comparing apples and oranges here. all these amps have completely different designs and the choice of rectifier is the least of it.

by the way, ear hp4 uses a voltage doubler in its hv power supply. this can only be improved upon.

Oct 7, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 8
The Twinhead uses tube rectifiaction. It's another headphone amp to your list but as zzz said, the circuits vary greatly and you can't really compare amps based on this one design feature.

Oct 7, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N

Tube rectification, the best? Not necessarily. It seems it depends on cct. design and how well htey are executed.

BTW, rectification stage can be a hybrid of sort. My single-ended triode Jota monobocks have a solid state 'soft start' before the tube rectification stage.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 8
I’m looking for some help on picking up a tube headphone amp for my planar cans, t50rp mk2,he-500 and lcd-x. Anyone got suggestions

Check out the Glenn Studios thread...His eL3n amp apparently rocks planars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back