Tube headphone amp / preamp
Apr 30, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stickers11

New Head-Fier
First time posting....thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I've been thinking of trying a tube headphone amp. I currently use a Pro-ject Headbox, and while it does a good job, it does not excite me particularly.

I'd like to try a tube headphone amp which could double as a preamp. This could function as a 2nd or 3rd system down the road.

I've been looking at the following: Woo Audio 3, SHANLING PH300, Melos SHA-1.

Regarding the headphone amp functionality. Is there a benefit in getting an amp that uses tubes in the driver stage....as in the Woo Audio or would a hybrid design function just as well? I am somewhat worried about excessive heat produced by the driver tubes.

Thanks again....

May 2, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 6
i love mine! i dug it so much!!!, after trying it with my (with all do respect a "b*!! sh!t) amp that i got used for a 100 bucks... i sold my audio research integrated amp.

whats your budget?

May 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 6
What headphones are you planning to use?

I love the combo of my Woo 3 with a pair of 250 Ohm Beyer DT 880's - and I have seen many others echo the same sentiment. I have also seen reports from fans of the Woo 3 + Sen 650 pairing. However, the majority on this board also seem to agree that K701's have much better synergy with the Woo 6 (which sadly does not include preamp functionality).

Regarding preamp functionality, I can offer only my own limited experience. I don't own a dedicated power amp, but I have experimented with running a pair of lower end powered speakers though the Woo 3 just to test it out. The SQ did improve to reflect some of the characteristics of the Woo, but the speakers aren't really good enough to justify further specific commentary. I recall that there may have been some user comments on the Woo 3 as a preamp on audioreview.com though?

As far as heat from the tubes, after a couple of hours of listening, I would describe my WA 3 as "a little warm" (using a Tung Sol 5998 and 2x Amperex 7308). My computer and LCD put out a lot more heat, so I really wouldn't worry about it as long as you are not planning to put it in an enclosed cabinet.

May 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Any of the Singlepower amps have the preamp option. Also the ASL OTL32 is a headamp/preamp

May 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Little Dot MKIII (and probably others) have headphone/preamp combo.

May 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the feedback so far. Budget would be bellow $500.
I love using headphone late at night as I can get more volume...live in an apartment with wife and 3 year old. That hasn't stopped me from building a modest system in every room.
Leaning towards the Woo 3.
Audiogon has a nice Rogue Audio Metis preamp with headphone jack....that would be a sweet unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back