Tube Gurus, treasure or trash?
Sep 4, 2007 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rav

1000+ Head-Fier
Found a bunch of old tubes in my late Grandfather's attic, wondering if any of these were worth hanging on to, and also if any will work in my incoming Mapletree HD2...

tubes.jpg

They're all as labled except the Brimar EF85, which actually contains a Mazda 6F26. I'm pretty certain the majority of them are NOS (by the condition of the paper wrappers inside). I know that he used to work with old TV sets, when tubes were still used in TVs, so i have no idea if any of them are audio quality. There was also some used ones loose, Marconi ECC83/B and a Mullard L84. The EL34 at the back is a bigger tube, so i've discounted that one.

Gonna hit up google in a minute, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge that also might help me, TIA.

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Only recognize the EL34s Mullards can be pretty good depending on your taste.
Also brand and maker can be very different a lot of time

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 14
I would suggest :-

1. Check out the date codes and tube construction and see what years and where the tubes were actually made. More then often, I need help from more experience tube guys.

2. Find a reputable tube seller nearby and have a good test done for the tubes, get the data - and see if (a) they are matched, (b) they are in good condition, (c) they are microphonics.

3. Check the conditions and if the lettering are intact and reflect what it is supposed to be.

Then you will know if these tubes are worth keeping.

Hope this may help.
F. Lo

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 14
That lone Mullard EL84 is worth something.If you can find another one to match it your talking around $100-$150 for the two.On it's own it's hard to say how much it's worth but something at least.

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Have you checked the tubes inside the boxes to verify they are what's on the label?

The EL84 and EL34 are potentially good tubes- but singles are worth less than pairs.

Take a picture of the EL34 and EL84 and check towards the base to see if there are acid etched codes to identify the tubes. Hope for red base with a hole in the guide pin for the EL34.

Mitch

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 14
You should take high-res close-up pics of the tubes themselves. Often times the only way to really determine what kind of tube it is... is to look closely inside at the internal parts.

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked the tubes inside the boxes to verify they are what's on the label?

All but the Brimar EF85 are correct, which actually contains a Mazda 6F26.

Quote:

The EL84 and EL34 are potentially good tubes- but singles are worth less than pairs.

Take a picture of the EL34 and EL84 and check towards the base to see if there are acid etched codes to identify the tubes. Hope for red base with a hole in the guide pin for the EL34.

Mitch

No red base, unfortunately:

tel34.jpg

detail:
tel342.jpg

The 84 is actually marked 'Rebus', not mullard, with a code near the bottom. Might not be NOS/original to the box, as it's not wrapped as tight as some of the others.

tel84.jpg

Thanks
cool.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 14
mullard xf2s arent bad but generally you need them in at least pairs or even quads.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Man the logo on that EL34 sure is perfect! Wow. Too bad there isn't a second, or you'd really have something nice.

I found an old Harmon Kardon amp in what used to be my great uncle's cottage this summer that has a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy EL84's and a BB 12AX7 in it - the exact tube complement of my ASL amp. Took them out, tested them, they tested strong, and put them in the ASL - WOW. They sounded MUCH better than the Electro-Harmonix tubes I was using. For free!

Too bad that then sent me on an expensive tube-rolling bonanza for my Darkvoice amp
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 14
The codes are not Mullard though. Maybe Brimar? And the pins all bent so it looks like the tube is used. If it was a used Mullard it would have the sooty deposits inside?

Nice score Skylab- that's a nice set of tubes.

Mitch

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The halo in the tube at the top is correct for the Mullard EL84.Is there a GT Britain or just plan Britain etched into the glass.If so that tube is definitely worth something.

No, the only writing on the EL84 is what's in the photo :\

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the only writing on the EL84 is what's in the photo :\

I'm at a loss as to what it might be then.It still could be a Mullard even though it says Rufus on it.Maybe someone else could jump in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back