tube damping
Apr 16, 2002 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zspradlin

Head-Fier
Has anyone tried any vibration damping for tubes??? I see that Ensemble makes vibration dampers they call "Tube Socks" and I believe I had seen another brand on Audiogon, Top Hat. Anyway, I was just wondering if any one had tried these yet, I'm thinking about it for my amp and pre-amp, (MG Head OTL and Cary Audio SLP-50B).

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 10
In the ZOTL, an inexpensive tube damper did nothing. OTOH, I think it's actually helped out the X-Can. Effects are subtle, and I have no idea if I'm actually hearing something real.

Nick, in a speaker system, there are lots of vibrations around. In a headphone amp, there may be transformer hum, and other vibration artifacts. Tubes are often microphonic. In the right circumstances, dampers can be useful.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
I seriously doubt they do anything at all.

Back when I owned a MG Head, I was once cleaning the dust off around the tubes with a blast of air from a compressed air can. I was wearing closed headphones and could hear a faint ringing type noise every time I hit the amp with a shot of air.

I don't know if the sonic effects of any of the tube dampening devices are positive or negative (or if there's any effect at all), as I'd never tried them. But I could see how they might help tame microphonics.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 10
tube dampers have only once worked for me.I used them on a set of high powered monoblocs placed on a floor.The bass from the speakers which were placed close to the amps caused a very audible microphony problem.I used"socks" to dampen the input tubes to great effect.I don't however see any real use for these on a headphone amp and I am weary of their long term affect on tubes.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
A properly damped component will need no tube damping.

quite true Nick!and the best point made here so far.

Apr 17, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Do a search on AA for more on the topic..I've been using teflon-coated silicone o-rings (available in various sizes from McMaster Carr); they don't melt or anything else unpleasant, and I've noticed a bit more sharpness to the treble (not unwelcome in a tube amp). It's a cheap tweak; give it a shot..as a reference, the one that fits over 12AX7-sized tubes has the following part number: 9319K26.

- Wasif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back