Tube Burn in
Jun 15, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Absolutely! Tubes may take days to reach their full potential. Note that matching simply means that the electrical output of the tubes is withing a certain tolerance (section matching means that the sections with a single tube are not wildly divergent). However, output is only part of the story. You'll need a warm-up period, even on matched tubes, to allow the tube (particularly NOS), to wake up from its long period of dormancy. although some dealers will do this warm-up for you. (note, simply measuring output for matching purposes does not require putting the tube through a full warmup, even though that's the best way to do it. Most dealers won't take the time). It will still take some time for the tube to reach its full sonic potential, though. I'd say a few days is a good minimum, but wouldn't be surprised if full performance took a lot longer.

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 10
After 2 weeks....my JJ EL 84s shined............don't know much about scientific stuff.....but I know from first hand - tubes do need time to reach their full potential.

I wouldn't say they all require like a 30 min. warmup before listening, but they do require a little "burn-in" when you first get them.

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 10
what's the difference between burned in tubes compared to non-burned in tubes? The reason I ask is that my new tubes seems to have occasional pops and crackles.. could this annoyances disappear with burn-in?

Jun 26, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 10
biggrin.gif
thanks.

the pic makes the brocksieper look larger than it really is.

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
what's the difference between burned in tubes compared to non-burned in tubes? The reason I ask is that my new tubes seems to have occasional pops and crackles.. could this annoyances disappear with burn-in?

Some tubes are inherently noisy. Nothing to do but replace them. However, sometimes the noise may be due to a poor connection with the socket. Take the tube out of the socket, and reseat it, making sure the connection is secure. I like to clean the pins with Caig DeOxit, although I've read posts in AA against this. Finally, the noise can be a tube warming up. My X-Can may crack and pop, but once it warms up it's completely quiet...until the next time I start it up again.

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 10
i hope my output 6dj8 dont fall under the inherently noisy category. I've had it on for over 8hrs on continously and i am still getting scratches, pops and a low hum coming through on one side. its really quite annoying.

how do you go about cleaning tube pins? spray some circuit cleaners on the pins? how about getting some wire meshes and scraping the pins with it?

Jun 27, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i hope my output 6dj8 dont fall under the inherently noisy category. I've had it on for over 8hrs on continously and i am still getting scratches, pops and a low hum coming through on one side. its really quite annoying.

how do you go about cleaning tube pins? spray some circuit cleaners on the pins? how about getting some wire meshes and scraping the pins with it?

Here are some links to posts on tube cleaning at Audio Asylum. Try at your own risk...

This is closest to what I do (simply apply DeOxit, wipe clean, and apply ProGold), however, if you read through these, some prominent people advise against it:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tub...ages/3135.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tub...ages/3155.html

This whole thread is worth reading:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tub...ges/15887.html

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back