Tube Buffers Are They Worth It
Mar 1, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...ku=WMFX10V3PSU

^^ Only reason I'm hesitating on this at the moment is because I'm wondering if they're getting ready to put out a newer one, otherwise I'm ready to jump on that ASAP unless you all really think it's a bad idea.

Also if you are going to order from audio advisor you might want to look at the demos section because they have both listed at discount prices.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also if you are going to order from audio advisor you might want to look at the demos section because they have both listed at discount prices.

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been very happy with my MF x10 v3. I've listened a lot with and without, so I think I can give a pretty good impression as to what it does, at least to my system. I'm using an arcam cd73 hooked to a NAD c352 amp with Wharfedale diamond 9.5 loudspeakers and hd580 headphones. I'd have to say that the x10 tube buffer doesn't add much coloration to the sound (my arcam sounds like it should). However, it definitely adds soundstage depth and perception across the sound field. In other words, I hear more of an even 180 degree sound field and I can place instruments close or far from me better with the x10 hooked up. I guess I'd have to say that imaging is quite a bit better with it. Without it, I lose the soundstage "magic" that it adds and the imaging. I'm not sure how it does it but it is really obvious. I listened to it hooked up for about a week - listened without it for a week, and then went back. It's definitely better with it hooked up. As for color, I don't think it really changes the essential sound of your source component. I'd say that it amplifies it's qualities and adds some soundstage and imaging magic to the equation.

I have my X10-3 modded with the Upgraded PS.. Very noticable difference
blink.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 37
BTW, the reason why I went a while without using it {tube buffer} with my arcam is because someone told me that I should. His reason was because 'you'll always degrade the sound be adding something to the chain'. That makes sense and all, but after disconnecting it, I was really missing something. In fact, I just wasn't as happy. I went a few weeks without it and finally hooked it back up.

If memory serves me correct, when I didn't have it hooked up, the 'sweet' spot between my speakers got a lot smaller. I was always moving around on my couch to get that 'sweet spot' effect. When hooking it back up, I could sit anywhere on my couch and be quite satisfied. I know that this is not very descriptive in the audiofile sense, it's just how I heard it.

Sometimes adding things to the chain can spice things up a bit, make things better. I can see how with really elevated components, you're gonna wanna stay away from anything that plays with the sound. In my case, I wanted a little 'somethin' somethin'', and the x10 is that.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the reason why I went a while without using it {tube buffer} with my arcam is because someone told me that I should. His reason was because 'you'll always degrade the sound be adding something to the chain'. That makes sense and all, but after disconnecting it, I was really missing something. In fact, I just wasn't as happy. I went a few weeks without it and finally hooked it back up.

If memory serves me correct, when I didn't have it hooked up, the 'sweet' spot between my speakers got a lot smaller. I was always moving around on my couch to get that 'sweet spot' effect. When hooking it back up, I could sit anywhere on my couch and be quite satisfied. I know that this is not very descriptive in the audiofile sense, it's just how I heard it.

Sometimes adding things to the chain can spice things up a bit, make things better. I can see how with really elevated components, you're gonna wanna stay away from anything that plays with the sound. In my case, I wanted a little 'somethin' somethin'', and the x10 is that.

Nothing is written in stone.. I wish I had speakers to try out my tube buffer with.. I hear they really shine with speakers.. Currently I use the buffer with my headphone rig.. Would rather have a 5.1 speaker set up, but got tired aruging with my father over the loudness & boom factor..

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #21 of 37
I feel I've gone full circle here as I originally started this thread & didn't own the Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 then but bought it thanks to input on this thread. I also bought the Jolida JD-100 CD Player a few weeks ago & the combination of the Jolida (I use JJ ECC83 tubes) & the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer & simple Acoustic Research 3' Standard Gold RCA cables, has given me the best sound I ever heard. Note I only listen via speakers, so my comments
don't pertain to headphone listening. Even though the Jolida is a Tube CD player, the tube buffer improves the sound tremendously with awesome seperation & depth & the bass sound is perfect, you hear it distinctly but it's not overbearing & blends in perfectly with the music. Even recordings that sounded terrible before, sound decent with this system & decent recordings sound fantastic on it. I listen to mainly 60/70's remastered rock & blues stuff.

You can get the Jolida with the remote & manual for around $600 - 700 plus shipping on Audiogon. The Tube Buffer seems to go around $250-300.

The one thing I posted earlier is, to people who thinks this changes the music from what you're suppose to hear- the actual recording isn't a full representation of what musician's are playing either- i.e. if you recorded the drum sound to produce what is actually played, you'd shatter every sound system & so subsquently drums are not recorded that way. Plus limiters are used on instruments, exciters are used, etc. I think you need to go with what sounds best to your ears.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel I've gone full circle here as I originally started this thread & didn't own the Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 then but bought it thanks to input on this thread. I also bought the Jolida JD-100 CD Player a few weeks ago & the combination of the Jolida (I use JJ ECC83 tubes) & the Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer & simple Acoustic Research 3' Standard Gold RCA cables, has given me the best sound I ever heard. Note I only listen via speakers, so my comments
don't pertain to headphone listening. Even though the Jolida is a Tube CD player, the tube buffer improves the sound tremendously with awesome seperation & depth & the bass sound is perfect, you hear it distinctly but it's not overbearing & blends in perfectly with the music. Even recordings that sounded terrible before, sound decent with this system & decent recordings sound fantastic on it. I listen to mainly 60/70's remastered rock & blues stuff.

You can get the Jolida with the remote & manual for around $600 - 700 plus shipping on Audiogon. The Tube Buffer seems to go around $250-300.

The one thing I posted earlier is, to people who thinks this changes the music from what you're suppose to hear- the actual recording isn't a full representation of what musician's are playing either- i.e. if you recorded the drum sound to produce what is actually played, you'd shatter every sound system & so subsquently drums are not recorded that way. Plus limiters are used on instruments, exciters are used, etc. I think you need to go with what sounds best to your ears.

Glad to hear you found the sweet spot to your musical enjoyment.. I know you had a rough ride getting to your audio bliss..
eggosmile.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #23 of 37
^^ Kool Bubba:

I was looking through that first thread in your sig to see what kinds of mods you all were doing this thing, but apparently every other person in that thread got banned for who knows what. (shrugs)

I'd like to know what you all have come up with. Can you tube roll with this thing?

Anyways, I contacted the US MF reps here and asked them about this product and if there was a newer one coming down the pike and they didn't think so.

So I guess any fence sitters who are interested in it probably shouldn't wait for very much longer.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that output buffers provide better impedance matching between your source and your amp and that's mainly how it improves the sound of your system.

Yes, that'ts the reason why it makes a difference. What it does is to guarantee that your CDP/DAC don't 'feel' any 'load' from the amp/speakers/headphones, that's why it's called 'impedance matching'. That is supposed to allow the CDP/DAC to work without at it's best.

I only have the X-DAC V3 but I auditioned the full setup (X-PSU & X-10D tube buffer, all V3) with my amp and my Senn's and thogether they sounded a LOT better than just the DAC. Everything just sounded much more real and natural, extension was also way better. And I was using an MG Head OTL which is kind of 'dull' & 'warm', so with a decent amp the differences should be much bigger.
Obviously I can't discuss exactly what were the specific effects of the PSU alone and of the tube buffer alone.
I'll probably get one of them and it will most likely be the PSU simply because it's much cheaper and even more if you consider that the tube buffer requires an extra pair of interconnects. Yes, I know, it's just another 'step' in your rig but what matters is that it sound better
biggrin.gif

xdacv8_web.jpg

The new line of MF products someone mentioned, include this, the X-DAC V8, it's supposed to be a DAC+PSU+tube.buffer all in one box with USB input and 2 outputs: one solid state and one tubed... now that should be very interesting as it allows to compare the 2 things directly!

cheers

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe

xdacv8_web.jpg

The new line of MF products someone mentioned, include this, the X-DAC V8, it's supposed to be a DAC+PSU+tube.buffer all in one box with USB input and 2 outputs: one solid state and one tubed... now that should be very interesting as it allows to compare the 2 things directly!

cheers

^^ Any idea when that stuff is due out?

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 37
It's supposed to be this spring. however, in Spain it's already for sale:
http://www.supersonido.es/productos/...&idCategoria=2

price in USD should be about 1500$. there are no reports of anyone listening to it... However, as far as I can tell from the specs it probably one box with the 3 X-series components, plus the SS line out and USB in and maybe some improvements in the (often criticised) quality of the electronic components (I hope)

you can read the manual here:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/manua...ies/xdacv8.pdf

cheers

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Kool Bubba:

I was looking through that first thread in your sig to see what kinds of mods you all were doing this thing, but apparently every other person in that thread got banned for who knows what. (shrugs)

I'd like to know what you all have come up with. Can you tube roll with this thing?

Anyways, I contacted the US MF reps here and asked them about this product and if there was a newer one coming down the pike and they didn't think so.

So I guess any fence sitters who are interested in it probably shouldn't wait for very much longer.

No tube rolling with the X10-3.. But you can tube roll with the X10-2.. The mods are on Pinkfloyds site.. Can't remember the websites name though.. Maybre someone can post it for you..

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that'ts the reason why it makes a difference. What it does is to guarantee that your CDP/DAC don't 'feel' any 'load' from the amp/speakers/headphones, that's why it's called 'impedance matching'. That is supposed to allow the CDP/DAC to work without at it's best.

I only have the X-DAC V3 but I auditioned the full setup (X-PSU & X-10D tube buffer, all V3) with my amp and my Senn's and thogether they sounded a LOT better than just the DAC. Everything just sounded much more real and natural, extension was also way better. And I was using an MG Head OTL which is kind of 'dull' & 'warm', so with a decent amp the differences should be much bigger.
Obviously I can't discuss exactly what were the specific effects of the PSU alone and of the tube buffer alone.
I'll probably get one of them and it will most likely be the PSU simply because it's much cheaper and even more if you consider that the tube buffer requires an extra pair of interconnects. Yes, I know, it's just another 'step' in your rig but what matters is that it sound better
biggrin.gif

xdacv8_web.jpg

cheers

I have my Xdac3/X10-3 pimped out.. Both are modded. Xdac3 is slightly modded.. X10-3 is heavily modded.. Plus I bought two lil pinkie PS for both of them.. 360.00.. But still cheaper then MF 400.00 PS upgrade.. Not sure what a 1,500 Dac should sound like since I havent been able to compare any hi end dac to my Xdac3.. I'm not very impressed with the Xdac3, but maybe my expectations were set to high..

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #29 of 37
to be honest, the main reason why I got an X-DAC was because I couldn't get a Lavry and the X-Dac was not only in my price-range but also at a discount price (I think I won't loose much selling it). Right now, the most attractive thing about the PSU is that it may be the best way for me to get something in exchage for my previous amp (MG Head OTL) while accessing a bigger part of what I have already invested in the DAC.
So I can't say I am a Musical Fidelity costumer by conviction but rather by a lack of alternatives. I'll probably trade my old amp for the PSU and then sell the DAC and PSU to get either a Lavry or an X-Dac V8.

Relatively to "how good the DAC is" I haven't listened to anything else above it's price but ALL the reviews suggest that it is **very** good value...

One very important thing I have learned: classical music is where it makes the most difference. With Pop/electronica/jazz I think it's not as 'in your face' as it is with classical. I can't really explain it but I'll try: you know those gestures maestros make? With a 'normal' 350$ Sony CDP they make no sense. with this DAC they do! and that is crucial for the enjoyment of classical music
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe this a bit offtopic, sorry, but I think it is important.

cheers!

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to be honest, the main reason why I got an X-DAC was because I couldn't get a Lavry and the X-Dac was not only in my price-range but also at a discount price (I think I won't loose much selling it). Right now, the most attractive thing about the PSU is that it may be the best way for me to get something in exchage for my previous amp (MG Head OTL) while accessing a bigger part of what I have already invested in the DAC.
So I can't say I am a Musical Fidelity costumer by conviction but rather by a lack of alternatives. I'll probably trade my old amp for the PSU and then sell the DAC and PSU to get either a Lavry or an X-Dac V8.

Relatively to "how good the DAC is" I haven't listened to anything else above it's price but ALL the reviews suggest that it is **very** good value...

One very important thing I have learned: classical music is where it makes the most difference. With Pop/electronica/jazz I think it's not as 'in your face' as it is with classical. I can't really explain it but I'll try: you know those gestures maestros make? With a 'normal' 350$ Sony CDP they make no sense. with this DAC they do! and that is crucial for the enjoyment of classical music
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe this a bit offtopic, sorry, but I think it is important.

cheers!

I know that the XDAC3 is better then my Modded GM DAC..Even with the stock walwart, the improvment was very noticable.. But a 1,000 DAC should beat a 300.00 DAC... I just hear from people in this forum that the XDAC3 is comparable to 500-600 DACS, & can't hold its own with 1,000 DACS. I bought my XDAC3 used (550.00) cause I though it was a hi end DAC... cause a 1,000 DAC has to sound like a 1,000 DAC right? For 200.00 more I could have bought a used Bel Conto DAC 2..
frown.gif
Live & learn.. My next DAC purchase will be a Stello/Benchmark DAC1/Bel Canto 2 etc.. But prefer a balanced DAC..
The XDAC8 does look nice though..Hopefully they improve on the components too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back