Tube Buffers Are They Worth It
Nov 2, 2006 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Hershon2000

100+ Head-Fier
There are a bunch of moderately priced tube buffers/tube buff amplifiers on Ebay. I don't have any experience with tube buffers but will they significantly improve solid state CD players sound or is this relatively snake oil?

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
There are a bunch of moderately priced tube buffers/tube buff amplifiers on Ebay. I don't have any experience with tube buffers but will they significantly improve solid state CD players sound or is this relatively snake oil?

If it is just a buffer, it may amplify the signal some but the main use is to color the sound. Now if it was a discrete tube output stage in the place of the opamps, then a significant gain is possible.

Nov 2, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
If it is just a buffer, it may amplify the signal some but the main use is to color the sound. Now if it was a discrete tube output stage in the place of the opamps, then a significant gain is possible.

Agree. Adding another stage can only degrade the sound. As Rodent says if it were used to REPLACE the CDP output stage, it could be a better output stage and better sound.

The only other use I can think of is for use with a passive preamp where an extra db or 2 of gain might be highly desired to improve volume and impedance matching with the destination component.

Spend the money on upgrading your source.

Nov 4, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 37
I purchased a Musical Fidelity tube buffer based on some reviews. I am not sure what it does but it makes the CD's sound more like LP's. My wife who is not an audiophile noticed the difference immediately and loved it. lDon

Nov 5, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaudio1
I purchased a Musical Fidelity tube buffer based on some reviews. I am not sure what it does but it makes the CD's sound more like LP's. My wife who is not an audiophile noticed the difference immediately and loved it. lDon

Yes... the MF X10 v3 Tube Buffer does give the sound of the MF Small X Series components a more "realistic sound" (i.e. warmer, more tone body, etc.) - although, it is subtle - sort of a "synergy" with the other MF components, which is a noticeable improvement.

Don't know how it integrates with other SS equipment, or how other brands of tube output buffers affect the sound of SS equipment.

Nov 5, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 37
I use X-10 V3 with solid state DACs. I tried Zhaolu, Constantine, and I have a Citypulse on the way. It greatly improved the sound from Zhaolu and Constantine. It also improved sound from Myryad MC-100. The improvement is well worth the money.

Nov 5, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid
I use X-10 V3 with solid state DACs. I tried Zhaolu, Constantine, and I have a Citypulse on the way. It greatly improved the sound from Zhaolu and Constantine. It also improved sound from Myryad MC-100. The improvement is well worth the money.

I am not saying that the sound may be more pleasing to your ears. I am saying that it is not better, just different. The tube buffer stage simply adds tube flavour and as stated, maybe a little power. I personally must have tubes somewhere in the chain of components. Depending on the tube and it's application the accuracy can be closer to the real thing or in most cases, further decrade the sound by adding colour which can sound better to some ears and worse to others. I prefer tubes in the signal end so as to not muddy the amplification stage with speakers and tube amps all the way for cans. That said, I much prefer SET tube amps due to the overall transparency of the design and not the colour and muddiness like many push/pull types. Tubes will always IMHO have a lead on soundstage and especially on jazz the realism. Why mainly jazz? Because most amps in a live jazz set-up have tubes in them. Not too many jazz guitarist will have SS amps.

Besides, did you not know that vacuum tubes give that sense of space so easily between musicians and clean up the soundstage by simply vacuuming sound clean of dirt?

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 37
Thanks for letting me know about the X10 V3 Can you tell me if the X10 V3 is significantly better the the MF X10-D in terms of audio quality as I can get that for about 50% of the price of the X10 V3 on Ebay & will if the difference isn't significant between the two. Thanks

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
I was under the impression that output buffers provide better impedance matching between your source and your amp and that's mainly how it improves the sound of your system.

This of course dependes on if the impedance was not matched to begin with.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
Thanks for letting me know about the X10 V3 Can you tell me if the X10 V3 is significantly better the the MF X10-D in terms of audio quality as I can get that for about 50% of the price of the X10 V3 on Ebay & will if the difference isn't significant between the two. Thanks

I have heard both and IMHO believe that the sound difference IS worth the extra money. The upgraded power supply was a boon as well.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 37
I've been very happy with my MF x10 v3. I've listened a lot with and without, so I think I can give a pretty good impression as to what it does, at least to my system. I'm using an arcam cd73 hooked to a NAD c352 amp with Wharfedale diamond 9.5 loudspeakers and hd580 headphones. I'd have to say that the x10 tube buffer doesn't add much coloration to the sound (my arcam sounds like it should). However, it definitely adds soundstage depth and perception across the sound field. In other words, I hear more of an even 180 degree sound field and I can place instruments close or far from me better with the x10 hooked up. I guess I'd have to say that imaging is quite a bit better with it. Without it, I lose the soundstage "magic" that it adds and the imaging. I'm not sure how it does it but it is really obvious. I listened to it hooked up for about a week - listened without it for a week, and then went back. It's definitely better with it hooked up. As for color, I don't think it really changes the essential sound of your source component. I'd say that it amplifies it's qualities and adds some soundstage and imaging magic to the equation.

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 37
I bought one and enjoy it very much. It was pretty cheap and was used on a 15 year old source (Onkyo C70). The X10 V3 cleaned it up some and makes me happy. Try one and see if it's for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back