Tube Buffers Are They Worth It
Mar 4, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #31 of 37
Even the used prices at ~$500 seemed high for the X-DAC, so I got a slightly used Zhalou D2 (AD1852 + upgraded Opamps) for $150 instead. I had purchased the X-10 some time ago after reading the reviews suggesting the combo with the X-DAC.

Although I was impressed with the improved sound the D2 provided over my stock SB3, what surprised me most was the fact I liked the tube buffer with that combo the most. I love the resolution of SS, and never figured I would like the X-10 just by itself.

I used the bypass loop out on the X-10 connected to an open RCA connection on my integrated so I could flip back and forth with the remote for comparison. It took a while for me to understand what it is I liked, but I could tell every time I changed over to the music playing with the X-10. Interestingly, I only really noticed when I added the X-10 to the mix, not when I removed it.

It's the extremes of frequencies that I really noticed, especially bass. I really heard it on Miles' My Funny Valentine. I should say I felt it, and could definitely tell my Rell subwoof was doing more when the X-10 was included in the mix. Otherwise what I noticed was the air and perhaps sounds of the recording room-- the stuff of imagery.

I'm sitting here thinking that I stumbled on something incredible. Who would've guessed from a solid state lover?

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do tube buffers supply current?

The review on AVGuide suggests that it improves the output power of the source. "The X-10V3 presents an ideal, very high-impedance 470-kOhm load (much higher than the input impedance of most audio components) that is so easy to drive that the X-10V3 can even be used with inexpensive Walkman-type battery-powered players."

I'm not an engineer, so I can't really evaluate this review. I'm keeping it because it brings out bass, and to a lesser degree top end, with my Zhalou D2. The naggging question is whether it's better or the same as the Zapfilter upgrate for about $225 and several hours soldering work. Or maybe I should try some other inexpensive SS DACs with it.... so many choices!

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #34 of 37
There are some DAC's where a buffer is almost a requirement. In the case of passive I/V 1545 based DAC's you need a buffer with a low input impedance to keep the DAC chip out of distortion.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some DAC's where a buffer is almost a requirement. In the case of passive I/V 1545 based DAC's you need a buffer with a low input impedance to keep the DAC chip out of distortion.

Are you refering to the TDA 1545 based DACs that I see on ebay? I think I saw the board for the Lite DAC-AH with 8 of those chips. Have you tried this?

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark-e-mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... The naggging question is whether it's better or the same as the Zapfilter upgrate for about $225 and several hours soldering work. Or maybe I should try some other inexpensive SS DACs with it.... so many choices!

I'm still on the fence about buying one of these as well, for just the reasons/questions you put forth.

I see that there's a limited run of these things though and time is running fairly short.

Maybe I'm not exposed enough, but it seems to me this tube buffer is somewhat of a unique product, is it not? Almost one of a kind?

The review you linked suggested a "shock and awe" sound experience which is one of the reasons why I'm intruiged by this thing.

What else out there can do what this tube buffer can do? DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back