Tube Audio Design has some great gear for cheap!
Oct 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #31 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you have to tempt me with something like this. If it had some sort of high-level output this would be irresistible. As it stands it still is very tempting. Quite a good price.

Temptation is a very real aspect of Head-Fi lol. Give in to the WANT!!

Seriously, I considered getting two just to see if I could knock small objects over.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #33 of 83
Yeah the sub certainly is way too much for my little room. I need a 24'x24'x24' and some 10 foot ceilings for this person. It really hits hard.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 83
I wish I could get it, but he's charging $92 shipping to Canada, instead of free. I love this country, but sometimes it's annoying to try and get stuff from down south.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhh, think about what you just wrote there for a sec.

Yeah... a 24' x 24' x 24' room with 10' ceilings would be awful for acoustics.
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #37 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... a 24' x 24' x 24' room with 10' ceilings would be awful for acoustics.
tongue.gif

Like I know lol. No matter. I will learn that bit when I build my next house. For now I am stuck in the basement. It is funny b/c the door that goes upstairs acts like a port and the bass just flows out from it. So really it is a BASSment now.

Um Canada shipping is more b/c he uses FedEx and they only offer overnight and 2-day shipping last time I checked. It was probably more like $160 shipping at least if I tried it. Too bad you are missing out I feel for you.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #38 of 83
189 dollars doesn't seem much for at least a very decent subwoofer.

The caps seems to be rubicon? and the brown ones near the transistors/fets are silmics? (brown caps). Good oversized transformer. if any, it looks pretty decent. especially for 189 dollars.

If you want better you'd have to pay at least 500-1000 dollars and the top is way beyond that at 2000 dollars and up.

So, for a moddest setup, it really might be a good deal.

And something else: the OP was mere enthausiastic about his great deal. don't burn him for that!

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #39 of 83
And something else: the OP was mere enthausiastic about his great deal. don't burn him for that!

Thank you. Finally someone that understands.

It is a great deal for a new sub. Especially considering that if I shipped this it would be at least $50 just for east coast.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #40 of 83
For those that are still wanting more info, check out this thread at AVSForum.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 83
Here's a thread from AVSForum discussing the subwoofer:

Aural ecstasy tad 12” Subwoofer for $129 shipped?

An excerpt:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyefan
It appears he uses either HiVi or Dayton components in his speakers and subs. He probably orders the cabinets from China (many mfg's do). His cabinets are very attractive, reminding me of Swan speakers. The pricing is very low, which either means he's ordering low end speakers in bulk, or making a very low margin on decent components.

The amplifier in the subwoofer is very small. Most of your better 12" subwoofers are at least 250w or more rms. That doesn't mean the driver isn't efficient. Many 12" drivers run off very little power, especially in ported enclosures.

For the money, it's probably worth a try. His center and front speakers cost more the this sub, so I wouldn't expect too much - but he does say he is clearing out 3 pallets of these subs that used to cost $389 a year ago.

I say go for it and report back. If it's a deal - buy them all and sell them out of a white van for $250 each.

Edit: D'oh... SysteX beat me to it.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #42 of 83
That is the second white van reference lol.

Just for the record, Paul, the TAD guy, says that the van is actually blue lol.

The amp does seem small but I am impressed by the output so it is probably ok. I really have not had the time or the wife out of the house long enough to test its limits.

Regardless, the sub is far better than anything I could get for what I paid for it lol.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 83
Based on the pictures you posted, I cancelled my order. Probably not better than the sub I already have. But it does seem like a good deal.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #44 of 83
It looks like the price is now $189 for either the piano black or cherry subwoofer. $129 shipped would've been nice.
redface.gif

Link.

It looks like he has some older 2006 models available at clearance prices, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back