Tube Amps
Oct 7, 2015 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hiphophead07

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a headphone tube amp, however, I have the following worries. I believe changing tubes and maintenence is something involved? As well as being technical to install or setup the tubes? Seen some tubes can be worth $100+ each which has me thinking owning one would be costly...

Can someone clear this up to me as I don't want to go through maintenance process. Is there a tube amp in which you wouldn't have to replace tubes and could just have like SS amp? How does this all really work.

Thanks,
M.G

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 20
Replacing tubes is pretty easy. In something like Schiit's Valhalla, the "replacement process" is just waiting for the tubes to cool down, pulling them out, then pushing in new tubes.

And most to all tube amps out there are going to need eventual replacements the same way you replace light bulbs. They eventually burn out.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 20
How long does it take before having to replace?

Averages depend on tube but usually figure between 3,000 to 10,000 hours depending on tube make.  Also costs will vary greatly.  The replacement tubes for the Valhalla are $40 from Schiit.  The replacements for the Lyr is $20.  There are also a decent amount of new tubes made that sound good.  Most of the ones you are seeing in the $100+ range are for NOS (New Old Stock) and were made in the 50's - 70's and it all depends on make and rarity as they are no longer being made.  Most tube amps now don't need you to bias the tubes anymore and it is just a direct pull old out and plug the new ones in.

One thing I did is I have the Schiit Lyr 2 and they make a solid state replacement for the tubes called the LISST.  I use those most of the time so I don't run up hours on tubes and when I want tubes I just pull the LISST and put tubes in.  Since the LISST are solid state they should last many times as long as tubes.

Hop on over and go through the Lyr tube rolling thread. The first post links some places to start for learning about tubes and while the discussion is about tubes for the Lyr the general tube information is pretty universal.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 20

Actually, once you have a tube amp, you would want to roll through the tubes.  Each tube imparts different sound signature, so you can change your taste now and again.  This is one of joys of a tube amp.  

This.  Many tube amps are only as good as the tubes in them.  Some are notorious for sounding cluttered and lacking dimensionality due to lackluster tubes.  

I believe tube amps have potential for more transparent sound than solid state.

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 20
Rolling tubes will also keep your wallet thinner and lighter.

True true...Just get new/nos tubes thru legit sellers (schiit, woo, etc.).  Ebay tubes are hit-n-miss, becareful.

Also try to get a full tube-driven amp.  Many entry level tube amps are hybrid (a mixture of tubes and solid state in the signal path).  I like full tube-driven due to the warmth and syrupy SQ.  

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 20

Also try to get a full tube-driven amp.  Many entry level tube amps are hybrid (a mixture of tubes and solid state in the signal path).  I like full tube-driven due to the warmth and syrupy SQ.  

This is really dependent on preferences and the amp in question though.  Tube hybrids can have advantages such as less tubes to roll, and they usually provide more current.  Some tube hybrids can be warm and syrupy, although probably not many.  The Cavalli Liquid Glass is probably one such tube hybrid since the solid state part is designed to be completely transparent to the tube sound (and then this becomes dependent on the tubes used).  Not that this is within the OP's budget though.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 20
It's not cheap, but this amp may interest you guys.

http://www.divertech.com/aslmgheaddt.html

All tube, lets you choose between OTC and OTL mode, from a company respected in the Hi-Fi speaker world so I wouldn't expect cheap components to be found inside.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 20
Get a Project Ember, only uses one tube and sounds sensational.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 20
A single tube is a selling point if you're likely to tube roll because you're only buying one tube at a time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back