Tube Amps + TV
Jun 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

QuantumEars

New Head-Fier
I have noticed that many of these high-end set ups often times just revolve around headphone listening. What about a media center set up or something of similarity. Is it possible to have a set up of some fancy tube amps and such to have good quality audio from things like movies and shows?

Also btw, I also have read that many of these tube amps, or just high quality amps in general, mention something about requiring couple hours of charge, like over 10 hours or so, what is up with that? I always thought that what power outlets where for, to avoid dealing with short battery lives.

happy_face1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm not sure that tube amps are worth the hassle just for TV listening, but it certainly CAN be done.

I have no idea what you mean about "charge time". Tune amps can be used within 1-2 minutes after being turned on, just long enough for the tubes to warm up. They often do sound better after a little longer warm up, maybe 30 minutes, but this is just for the last 1% of sound quality
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 17
I've also used a Rogue Tempest (KT88 tube amp) for a general purpose entertainment amplifier. Worked well although for most telelvision I doubt that it made a sonic difference and I did cycle through tubes at a faster rate than I probably would have. Was nice to see the tubes glow at night though.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 17
If you want quality audio why suddenly not bother when it comes to movies? Why are Hi-Fi Audiophiles like that? You just need to downmix multi-channel to stereo or listen to stereo/pro-logic soundtrack. Stereo LPCM probably the best if you just have stereo setup.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 17
I suppose it depends on the quality of your source. For me, I found that for most of the material I watched on television, the material didn't require that last 10% of quality that am improvement in amplification delivers. For me, the convenience of moving to a simple solid state amplifier for everyday use (less warm up time, less heat, less electricity, less replaceable parts, etc.) far exceeded the benefits from using tubes all the time. The difference to my electricity bill was also noticeable.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 17
YES!

love it for DVDs. Musis dvds, (classical music,opera, broadway shows) AND movies are enhanced by hi quality amplification. I also put the digital output of my satellite receiver thru a dac and it sounds better. At times I like to listen thru headphones with a tube amp.

It's definitely better!

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 17
I used to use a tube amp for dvds, but only 2 channel though...

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 17
Sure, you can use high-end audio gear for multimedia. I usually watch movies on my laptop (I don't have a TV) so I'll jack in to one of the tube amps and enjoy it.

I'm not sure about what you refer to as charge time. Tube amps usually come up within a minute or two, and then the sound levels out as they reach operating temperature. The caps and resistors sound slightly different when warm, but the difference isn't great. I usually turn an amp on and start listening shortly after.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 17
And in my experience/opinion even the smallest (soundstage-wise) headphones can create quite a surround feel to movies if the DVD player does the downmixing right and the movie has two or more channels.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And in my experience/opinion even the smallest (soundstage-wise) headphones can create quite a surround feel to movies if the DVD player does the downmixing right and the movie has two or more channels.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not as good as 5.1 mix on a home theatre though.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not as good as 5.1 mix on a home theatre though.

Yes... not as good, but it's that good that I am not interested in buying useless rear speakers just for some 10-percent performance (I read the front speakers do 90% of the surround soundjob.) and I think It is quite nice how stuff actually sounds with mere cans.
icon10.gif

Add: and this is just my opinion. Fans of home theatres obviously prefer the essence of real speakers in the back and I appreciate their taste.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 17
That last 10% is the difference between unamped headphones and amped. I just bought some side dipole speakers for brothers home theater, he already had rears but the sides added more atmosphere, thanks to Logic 7 :)

The front speakers will output the same if you set surrounds to none, but you don't get surround experience. It's like listening to your music in mono on your headphones. Or having the choice of CD or binaural on your headphones, which would you choose? Watching a movie in 2 channel is great still not multi-channel is even better. You should checkout Kraftwerk DTS Minimum Maximum, listen to 5.1 DTS on a 5.1 system.

Spent a lot on the home theatre worth every penny and would do it again.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That last 10% is the difference between unamped headphones and amped. I just bought some side dipole speakers for brothers home theater, he already had rears but the sides added more atmosphere, thanks to Logic 7 :)

The front speakers will output the same if you set surrounds to none, but you don't get surround experience. It's like listening to your music in mono on your headphones. Or having the choice of CD or binaural on your headphones, which would you choose? Watching a movie in 2 channel is great still not multi-channel is even better. You should checkout Kraftwerk DTS Minimum Maximum, listen to 5.1 DTS on a 5.1 system.

Spent a lot on the home theatre worth every penny and would do it again.

I deliberately chose the 10% figure because it's used in every hobby case anyway. I wanted to highlight the situation: people generally appreciate the increased quality of sound when an amp is added, but only the hobbyists actually buy those. The rest can't justify the expenses.

I consider the surround sound audio a different hobby from stereo listening (that usually doesn't involve movies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back