Tube amps OTL choices
Nov 26, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 110
I really would look for a used Singlepower. Last year, I picked up a used PPX for $500, which is around where they go used. I've had zero problems and listen to it regularly. It is as others have described here.

For your price range, you might be able to get an OTL custom built for you. Take a look through the library over at Headwize and see what catches your eye. Off the top of my head, I know there's an OTL design by Kurt Strain and a couple by Andrea Ciuffoli. You might want to look into having a builder put one of those together for you.

For whoever asked if Singlepowers get hot, this one doesn't. Well, tubes usually run warm and should not be touched when hot, but heat rejection is about what I'd expect from a 3 tube rig. I've got a collection of old radios, communication receivers, stereo gear, and even an all-tube TV set, and don't think there's anything atypical about mine.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #17 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately these are not the choices I am looking for.
The Darkvoice is (from what I read) colder, rougher, edgier and more analytical than the Woo, which is not what I am looking for. Also the better Singlepowers start from 1000 $ and I am looking for an amp for at most that price. Otherwise I can very well order the Woo2 which I belive is also closer to my tastes (a bit warmer, smoother). Also I am considering these prices new so we can have a fair contest.

So any other recommendations ?

Also please stay on topic - this is about OTL amps similar to the Woo, not for trade feedback or tuberolling for the Darkvoice etc.

The Extreme sounds very good stock and is one of the sweet spots in the Singlepower line.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #19 of 110
The Extreme is a fantastic tube amp. It delivers more than enough power to drive the most demanding dynamic cans (I used it with a K340 briefly) so it can easily handle average dynamic cans. I had a noise leakage problem with mine which prevented me from using it with low-impedance cans but the guy I sold it to reported no probs, so that was from something else in my system. And the tube-rolling options are extensive. I wrote up an impressions thread that you can search for. It's not a stereotypically "tubey" sound but that's not really necessary IMO - the Extreme delivers a large amount of harmonic texture while retaining detail. More the sound of a hybrid amp IMO than a tube amp. I really liked it paired with the K701 - a lot.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 110
What is your headphone? There are too many options and you probably won't realise which one sounds the best for you unless to give each of them a try.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #21 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check Skylab's comments on the DV337 thread. He has a singlepower and prefers the DV337. I haven't heard the SP so I can't offer an opinion.

Make an offer to jasmine through email.

If you search the threads you will get an idea of prices to offer.

Audiophilechina.com sells it for under 700.00 shipped although there might be a bit extra for paypal.

I bought mine from jasmine. The factory broke it in first and jasmine kept it running for a day to make sure the amp had no problems.

Jasmine is known for that kind of great customer service. Some other sellers might just have it drop shipped from the factory and you are out of luck if it arrives unworking or has the wrong voltage because the shipping is so expensive to send it back.

Jasmine doesn't offer the 337 through ebay so you will have to email to start a deal.

zhounk@hotmail.com

You can pay via paypal and have the same protection.

I made an offer on a 336i to Jasmine, that was 15% lower than ebay price shipped. Jasmine countered with 10% off shipped price, if I paid direct and rejected the ebay counter offer (he saved ebay fees). I paid on Wednesday the 14th and I had it the following Wednesday before thanksgiving!

That should give you an idea of where to start the offer.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 110
Wow, Skylab and i both own Samsung DV887 clothes driers and SBH headphones! I'm in pretty select company.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 110
Samsung DV887 clothes drier???

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 110
Singlepower Extreme or PPX3-slam would would be my choices in your price range. I would also keep an eye open for one of the MPX-3s with upgrades to come up used.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 110
I am only talking new. Anyone can find anything used (or not), but to compare you need a common reference.

Since you insist with the Singlepowers
smily_headphones1.gif
, does anyone have a clear and definitive price list for them (stock models up to 1000$). No mail to somebody, no forum sales or 3rd parties with particular variants. But a real and clear price list from the producer for their (lower) range.

Also, how would you compare the sound of the Singlpower extreme to the Woo2 ? Not the Woo6, nor Woo4 but Woo2 since that is its direct competitor in the Woo range.
(I couldn't even find the "Extreme" on their site. Only PPX3 and PPX3 and PPX3-6SN7. Are they the same ?)

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #26 of 110
Quote:

I am only talking new. Anyone can find anything used (or not), but to compare you need a common reference.

smily_headphones1.gif
, does anyone have a clear and definitive price list for them (stock models up to 1000$). No mail to somebody, no forum sales or 3rd parties with particular variants. But a real and clear price list from the producer for their (lower) range.

Also, how would you compare the sound of the Singlpower extreme to the Woo2 ? Not the Woo6, nor Woo4 but Woo2 since that is its direct competitor in the Woo range.
(I couldn't even find the "Extreme" on their site. Only PPX3 and PPX3 and PPX3-6SN7. Are they the same ?)

These are the recent base model prices for the
PPX3-725.00
PPX3 slam-885.00
Extreme-999.00
MPX3-1050.00

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #27 of 110
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

i've not heard the woo amps or any amp other than my personal amp but i would like to speak on it's behalf for a second.

from what i'm being told this darkvoice 332 was designed for the HD650's. in fact you can get a 332 bundled with the HD650's from the darkvoice people as well as most any other of their amps. to me that's a pretty strong recommendation for this amp.

as far as warmth and richness and all the other words you've put out there. i can't really tell you what this amp sounds like because i've not heard others and what i think may not be what you think (YMMV). i will say that tube choices (tube rolling) plays a big roll in this amp and i'd imagine in other DV designs. when i tried the OEM tubes they sounded very washed out and faded away. there was a warm fuzz over everything in a bad sort of way. details were lost, staging wasn't as accurate. honestly the amp wouldn't have been worth the money. luckily the previous owners left me some tubes to play with and one of those pairs was a set of phillips 8100's. these tubes completely changed the sound of the amp. everything opened up, mids were alot more obvious and the highs that were gone were back.

now that i've said all that. your budget is $1000. with that you should be in range for a few amps that are leagues above any of the darkvoice or low end WA amps. i think the zana deux is in your scope and while it will probably take most if not all of your budget it would be one of the best decisions you could make as far as $1000 headphone amps go. allegedly sounds amazing and regardless of that it's capable of powering everything from 650's to 701's to even Grado's. that swiss army knife capability would probably win me over first and foremost. specially since i could try different phones to get the sound i want.

i'd say that's my $.02 but this hobby has taken those two pennies from me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've not heard the woo amps or any amp other than my personal amp but i would like to speak on it's behalf for a second.

from what i'm being told this darkvoice 332 was designed for the HD650's. in fact you can get a 332 bundled with the HD650's from the darkvoice people as well as most any other of their amps. to me that's a pretty strong recommendation for this amp.

as far as warmth and richness and all the other words you've put out there. i can't really tell you what this amp sounds like because i've not heard others and what i think may not be what you think (YMMV). i will say that tube choices (tube rolling) plays a big roll in this amp and i'd imagine in other DV designs. when i tried the OEM tubes they sounded very washed out and faded away. there was a warm fuzz over everything in a bad sort of way. details were lost, staging wasn't as accurate. honestly the amp wouldn't have been worth the money. luckily the previous owners left me some tubes to play with and one of those pairs was a set of phillips 8100's. these tubes completely changed the sound of the amp. everything opened up, mids were alot more obvious and the highs that were gone were back.

now that i've said all that. your budget is $1000. with that you should be in range for a few amps that are leagues above any of the darkvoice or low end WA amps. i think the zana deux is in your scope and while it will probably take most if not all of your budget it would be one of the best decisions you could make as far as $1000 headphone amps go. allegedly sounds amazing and regardless of that it's capable of powering everything from 650's to 701's to even Grado's. that swiss army knife capability would probably win me over first and foremost. specially since i could try different phones to get the sound i want.

i'd say that's my $.02 but this hobby has taken those two pennies from me.
smily_headphones1.gif

the Zana Deux is $1900 without shipping

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #30 of 110
Noone seems to have mentioned Berning Micro ZOTL, but this is a great OTL amp and a unique design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back