Tube Amps for I-POD
Mar 17, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 15
There is already a thread on this topic.
Here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111505
Believe me, it's hard to keep up with all the stuff posted on this site.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 15
Everybody going portable is normally ready to make sacrifices: you get portability but lose the sound quality, it is obvious. The less the loss the better. BUT trying to make a Ferrari fly or a Boeing 737 - perform well on a mountain road is utter nonsense IMHO.

Prove me wrong.

A.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 15
Does that look like a portable amp to you? Many people use DAPs connected to their home speaker or headphone rigs to play lossless files. This gives the convenience of having many albums at the touch of a button. Furthermore there are many people who play lossless files on the move from their DAPs, both through the headphone out and through portable amps.
Quote:

Originally Posted by doussia1
The less the loss the better. BUT trying to make a Ferrari fly or a Boeing 737 - perform well on a mountain road is utter nonsense IMHO.

This analogy might work better if you reversed and said something like, "Trying to race a dune buggy on a NASCAR track is utter nonsence IMHO." Still, though, many people feel that a DAP playing lossless files through a lineout to an amp provides excellent sound rivaling that of a mid-range CD player.
Quote:

Prove me wrong.

Big words from someone with incoherent and poorly informed posts.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Viator 122,
The point of my message is: there are devices to give high quality sound on big speakers, and there are devices to be portable. Mixing the two results in a blend of mediocre sound and weird-looking setups.

>>>>"Still, though, many people feel that a DAP playing lossless files through a lineout to an amp provides excellent sound rivaling that of a mid-range CD player."

True, but very many people think that an Aiwa combo plays as well as a Naim setup, but is a lot better due to being a lot cheaper.

as for your "Big words from someone with incoherent and poorly informed posts."... Tell you what... I love you too :)

A.

PS Tell me, how many languages do you speak?
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Ah, ok now I see what you're saying. Sorry if I was rude. And I only speak two languages.

I guess the point of something like this is for someone who wants the convenience of a record collection at their fingertips and wants to maximize a device that, to the hi-fi world, is not at the top of the game. In that sense then, I agree with you. Before I would purchase something like this, I'd probably use an Airport Express->DAC->amp combo.

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 15
viator122,
accepted. Sorry for not being clear enough.

As for the discussion: I understand wanting to have all your recorded material handy, and the DESIRE to maximize whatever is playing them, but this maximization, IMHO, goes nowhere near a midrange player (midrange is what? $200? $500?) in terms of sound quality. Even an excellent PCDP will be inferior. Believe me, I tried
tongue.gif

Never heard of an Airport Express.
tongue.gif

Andrei
(currently enjoying Naim 5i/Naim Nait 5i + Chario Delphinus)
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Guys,
IMHO it is positively insane to put MP3 sound though a tube amp to external speakers...

A.

He he, just a tube amp to DT-880s
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

...I understand wanting to have all your recorded material handy, and the DESIRE to maximize whatever is playing them, but this maximization, IMHO, goes nowhere near a midrange player (midrange is what? $200? $500?) in terms of sound quality...

never tried it, but it seems to me like a tube amp would be a perfect pairing with the ipod... the euphonic tube sound would help smooth out the graininess of the digital compression, no?

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Still, though, many people feel that a DAP playing lossless files through a lineout to an amp provides excellent sound rivaling that of a mid-range CD player.

All depends on the "mid-range" cd player in question. Honestly though, how many complaints have i read about a dap's line out performance? Plenty of times therefore i don't consider them appealing to be used in a serious fashion or even to replace a "mid-range" cd player.

Mar 18, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 15
the ipod line out isn't bad at all.

going from my 3d gen ipod to my old pimeta to my old hd600s (playing apple lossless) sounded great.

i would say that it wasn't as good as the art dio/ nec cdr combo but it was close.

for people who want a pretty piece on their desk, and warm tubey sound with the fashionable and functional ipod, i think it is fine. i'll never buy it, but i do have a pcmkII for my ipod
eek.gif

just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it is worthless.

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 15
I use the ipod line out to feed a Stax SRM-6T tube electrostatic and a Melos SHA-1. It sounds very good. I think I can hear a slight lack of detail from my Rega Planet, but it is unnervingly close. I think the tubes are perfect for ipods.

Mar 18, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 15
Dave, you may want to start changing and rolling power cords into that Stax amp. I am positive you will be able to kick up those extra bits out of the Ipod that way! If not, I'll buy you dinner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back