tube amps for grado 325is?
Aug 2, 2007 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

afphreak

100+ Head-Fier
title pretty much sums it up... want to try a tube amp out for heck of it, but i'm wondering if there are any specific amps out there that have synergy with grados? i'm looking at getting a darkvoice 336, or a little dot ii+, or should i look else where? i listen mainly to metal, you can check my last.fm in my sig, and budget, i dunno, i'm flexiable
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 23
The Grado 325i synergises well with both the MAD Ear and the Darkvoice 336i.

I own both amps and previously had a pair of Grado SR325i, no issue with either amp driving them.

The Darkvoice is great value for money and you're hard pressed trying to find something at that money that can beat it in performance/sound. The MAD Ear range is a noticable step up from the Darkvoice in sonic performance/virtues.

If you audition the Darkvoice with other amps in and around it's price range you'll find it usually comes out on top and you'll not want for anything more. The MAD Ear range is worth it, but keep in mind that it's almost double the price of the Darkvoice.

I'm happy to recommend both these amps !

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 23
oi that MAD Ear+ looks like the amp for me but:
Quote:

Orders closed during August: In order to help clear the order backlog, no new orders will be taken during August/07.

eek.gif
frown.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 23
MAD Ear+ x 4. Tried them. Love them. BUT Mapletree's closed for orders through August. Just missed the boat.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.. then you can get the one of the HD200s!!!!

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oi that MAD Ear+ looks like the amp for me but:

eek.gif
frown.gif

There was a few on the FS forum the other week if you don't mind s/h ... otherwise you're in for a long wait i'm afraid.

Aug 2, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 23
Tube amps with rich sounding tubes will help smooth out the 325i bright treble a bit.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 23
I love my Mapletree Audio Design Ear + purist custom too !

And YES, there is one for sale in the amps 4 sale section here.

Aug 3, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PPX3 is my fave for Grados.

I was really impressed with the Woo audio 6 too.

I have both the Mapletree ear+ and the PPX3 SLAM. I have to agree the PPX3 SLAM is definitely my favorite with my MS2i's. But the ear+ is quite good.

Aug 4, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 23
i think im gonna wait and grab a MAD kit to to put together over the fall, should be a fun and enlightening project
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back