Tube amp
May 13, 2009 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone can give me information on tube amp? why is it different from solid one? what make that difference? and I really want to know how it works; I thought that amp only give extra power to drive headphone..how about the tube?

any help and information will be very helpful

Thank You

May 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 4
Well this is a very "laymans terms" commentary about tube vs ss (as I understand it
wink_face.gif
):

Both tube and solid state amps will let you play your music louder, but still sound clean.

Tubes have a higher amount of measurable distortion than solid state amps (generally speaking), but the distortion is of a type that is much more tolerable to human ears. It's something about even order vs. odd order harmonic distortion.

The way that a tube amp clips is different than a ss amp. Clipping occurs when an amp is running short of current and "chops off" the peaks of a music signal. Tubes clip too, but they round off the peaks of the signal when they are pushed hard, which probably is at the root of the belief that tube amps are more powerful than a ss amp of the same wattage rating.

Tubes are not as neutral sounding as ss, meaning that they add a bit of coloration to the sound you hear. Many describe it as warm sounding, which means that there is a bit of lower midrage/upper bass boost and the highs are slightly rolled off so that their is less harshness in the treble (a common complaint about digital sources).

Tubes are great because they let you experiment with different tubes (that are compatible with your amp) to get a different sound, and some music lovers just like what they bring to the overall sound of their systems.

If you want an amp to simply let you play louder with minimal distortion and not add any coloration to your music, go solid state.

May 13, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 4
This is a tough question because there is so much variety in tube amps. They all sound different from each other depending on the tubes used, the type of circuit it has and what the power supply is like.

First, look at the most important part - the power supply. You can change AC into DC with either solid state or tubes. An amp with a rectifier tube sounds different from an amp with diodes to rectify the power. Some tube amps use chokes to further smooth the power. Power supplies with a choke (or several) tend to sound better than ones without. Also, sometimes the amp has regulated power. There's debate whether it helps the sound, but there will be a difference whether you regulate or not. Just like rectification, you can regulate with tubes or solid state and each has its own sound. Finally, look at how the tube filaments get their power. You can use AC or DC for the filaments, each with its own sound. If you run DC, or you can also choose regulation and rectification methods.

Next are the tubes. There is such a wide variety of types and styles that it would be difficult to give an overview. One important difference is between indirectly heated and directly heated tubes. Sometimes the filament carries the signal and sometimes it is separate, like a light bulb. Directly heated tubes have a charm all their own, however, and are sought after by aficionados.

The circuit is also hugely important. Again, there are many varieties and subtle variations. But the main topologies you'll find are push-pull, single-ended and OTL (output transformerless). Each has its own signature and style, often very different from the others.

The output of the amp is important, too. You'll find them to be either transformer coupled (usually single-ended and push-pull amps are) or OTL. There are variations and exceptions, but you'll find sonic variations between the two.

If you're looking for the classic "tube" sound, try a single-ended amp with output transformers. A tube on a transformer is the sound a lot of people think of when they consider the classic tube sound. An OTL, generally speaking, is faster and brighter.

The difference in price between amps is usually a function of the complexity of the power supply and whether it has output transformers. Generally, the more expensive amps have more transformers, chokes and other parts in the power supply. Since the power supply is fundamental, and you're reall listening to the power supply, the better conditioned the power is, the more refined the amp. Also, quality output transformers can run $200-$500 and up for a pair, so those add significantly to the cost.

You'll find the least expensive amps to be OTL, with just a simple power/filament transformer and diodes for rectification. You generally won't find regulation, chokes or other methods to refine the power. The selling point for most of those is tuberolling. Tuberolling has its place, but My take is that you're much better off saving the money on extra tubes and instead putting that towards an amp with a high end power supply.

May 15, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 4
You need to hear a tube amp vs a SS amp to determine which fits your tastes. I was a SS amp fan my whole life because I'd never heard a tube amp. I thought the newer technology would be better.

I bought a tube amp based on so many people here owning one. Got to say, I won't go back to a SS amp unless I need a lot of power. (more than a hp needs) The general view here is that the K701s need a SS amp for the power demand. I think any amp can drive them but you need more power supply from a tube amp (less efficient) to compete with the cheaper SS amp. This is why many buy a beginner tube amp and are disappointed. They don't have the power supply to put out the same as the beginner SS amps.

Get to a meet to listen to the differences between the two. It's worth the effort if you are going to drop some serious cash on one and live with it a while. A general rule is to read up on the amps recommended for the hp(s) you have or are going to get. Find the vendors on line to find costs. Then save for the next unit up in the model. Many here go after the cheaper amps first and then start the upgrade journey. Save some of the trip and go after the better amp. You'll end up there eventually so even though more initially, long term it saves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back