Tube amp - with USB input
Jul 5, 2008 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
So I think my next amp will be a tube amp, just to round out my little collection of stuff. Was considering both the 336 and the LD MK3....until I realized neither had USB inputs, just balanced RCAs. Now, I don't own a receiver that has RCA outputs, and I doubt I'll be in the market for one any time soon (limited space, and the fact that all my music is digital, no cds).

I'll be running 780s, PROline 2500s, and K501s out of the amp, listening to about everything but hip hop/rap and country, primarily metal of the fast/heavy variety; however, I also swing around to stuff like Conjure One and Nik Bartsch.

Price range will be around $300, can probably bump it to $350 if necessary.

I would guess I could also get a USB DAC with RCA outs, but a few searches on google didn't really pull up any manufacturer sites for the few I've seen talked about on here, and on top of that, I wouldn't be able to tell which DAC would really complement the tube amp.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 14
I don't speak from experience but I know some members here have had luck with the Keces DA-151 and the LD MKIII. I'm currently considering that combo as well so I'd be interested in seeing input from other people as well so I'll be watching this thread.
There is also the Glow Audio One which is tubed, has USB, headphone out and speaker out. It has a thread here.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes the Glow Amp One is available. Currently I have loaned mine to dw6928 and then tfarney. Contact them in a week or so for their opinion. You can read mine in the thread referenced above.
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 14
The Glow Audio one definitely looks interesting.....just a bit concerned about the "intro pricing" not being in effect when I have some spare cash to pick the amp up, though. Looks like a tube swap is in order after the burn-in stage, too.

That DAC/LD MK3 combo could be interesting, too, as it seems a LOT of people like that particular amp.

Then, there's always custom stuff from DIY'ers to consider, too

Ideas, ideas.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 14
How about a SilverStone EB01 ($100) with an Eddie Current Lunchbox II ($225)?

I shy away from all-in-one devices. Some might be worthwhile. Thing is, if you want to upgrade, you're attached to the whole thing. Upgrades are not always voluntary, either. Sometimes the right thing jumps out at the right time.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 14
USB DAC with RCA output? KECES-151; look in the Computer Audio forum for the huge thread on it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I shy away from all-in-one devices. Some might be worthwhile. Thing is, if you want to upgrade, you're attached to the whole thing. Upgrades are not always voluntary, either. Sometimes the right thing jumps out at the right time.

Well, I really won't be able to upgrade after I buy that amp - between things I need to do to my car, buying a second vehicle (Kansas winters don't work with RWD sports cars), and Christmas, I simply won't have the capital afterwards to buy something if it comes up, even if it's an extremely good deal.

I will be considering all of the options so far in this thread before I buy anything, as it'll be a bit before I do pick up another amp, anyway.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 14
The TNS Sweet also has a USB input and is a nice little tube amp. However, I agree with what folks above have said - I think you'd be better off keeping them separate. You can get much better sound with a Firestone Audio FUBAR DAC and a Darkvoice 336SE tube amp.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TNS Sweet also has a USB input and is a nice little tube amp. However, I agree with what folks above have said - I think you'd be better off keeping them separate. You can get much better sound with a Firestone Audio FUBAR DAC and a Darkvoice 336SE tube amp.

Hm, another possibility....although the $65 shipping for the Darkvoice is sort of painful. Also, it looks like the 110v stuff is on backorder right now, too.

*ponders*

How different would that combo be compared to the Glow Amp 1, or the Keces/LD MK3 combo, as far as end result sound?

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 14
The Alien DAC is a really inexpensive USB DAC option that sounds good. I just acquired one (thanks FallenAngel!) and I'm really quite impressed with the sound this tiny little thing puts out.

The Keces DA-151 probably sounds better, but $50 for the Alien kit from Glass Jar Audio vs. $250 for the Keces... I guess it's all in how much you're willing to spend.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 14
One question I've come up with - what are the differences in the 336i and the 336SE?

Couldn't find any sort of website to look up specs and model differences.

<_<

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont quite agree with that. if you want to upgrade, do so. most of the "all in one" systems have a variety of inputs and poutputs. so, if you get a new better DAC, just use that and the original amp. the same goes for a new amp. also , you are more likely to get a better bang for your buck, as there is only one case/psu etc. for example, the Dared MP5, you get a DAC, Headphone amp, and speaker amp for around $350, shipped to the UK. what more could you ask?
BRW, how does the Sweet 2 compare with the Dared MP5?

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question I've come up with - what are the differences in the 336i and the 336SE?

Couldn't find any sort of website to look up specs and model differences.

<_<

I did not compare them side by side, but I would say the 336SE, in addition to the improved cosmetics, sounds much the same as the 336i did. Which is to say, very good, especially for the price. And you can often find them in the FS forums here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BRW, how does the Sweet 2 compare with the Dared MP5?

I cannot help with that as I have never heard the Dared. And the Sweet amps seem hard to find these days...

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not compare them side by side, but I would say the 336SE, in addition to the improved cosmetics, sounds much the same as the 336i did. Which is to say, very good, especially for the price. And you can often find them in the FS forums here.

That'll make finding one easier then...wasn't quite sure if there were any internal differences or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back