Tube amp with excellent soundstage depth?
Apr 22, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Having used good to very good sources for years with many different amps (headphone and speaker) I can say without a doubt that soundstage is affected and changed by the amp you use.

OK, we have an agreement about that part
icon10.gif

I havn't had the opportunity to listen to the very finest high-end sources or amps. But in my modest experience, not all recordings are reproducing a convincing 3D image in the first place. I think it is not controversial to say that an amp nor an IC can change that. In the ideal world they only facilitate, but sometimes they perhaps also emphasize or supress, elements on the medium, be it a CD, LP, tape or HD stream.

The topic was also actually depth of soundstage. My tip about the RCA's also includes the z-axis. Those tubes also make the timpani's really sound like there are in the back and also in a higher position than the rest of the orchestra.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 17

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Oh yes. Source first.

I believe soundstage is something you absolutley cannot create after the source. The source need to have that reproduction ability from the beginning.

Having used good to very good sources for years with many different amps (headphone and speaker) I can say without a doubt that soundstage is affected and changed by the amp you use.

I am leaning to Tom's view in this discussion but what is it in the amp that creates this illusion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back