Tube amp with excellent soundstage depth?
Apr 22, 2005 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rcgrant

Head-Fier
I've been using solid state for a long time but I think I'm ready to make the jump to tubes after extensively auditioning my friend's DIY Aren van Waarde amp. At first, I couldn't hear the benefits, but I eventually realized how much more depth the soundstage has and how much more tangible each sonic image seems. The sound just has a sense of realness and "rightness" to it.

Unfortunately, I'm not up to building something on that scale, so I'm looking for alternatives. Which amps have the characteristics I described above?

Tenatively I'm leaning towards the MPX3, as I've seen a comment or two that would suggest it has what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it's roughly at the limit of what I'm willing to spend, but it seems to be regarded as the best value in the Singlepower line. If that's the case, I'd be willing to spend a little extra for it.

Any advice is appreciated.

- Rob

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 17
the PPX3 has very good soundstage depth and width, and good instrument separation. i think it's hard to beat with the solen stage one upgrade and some good tubes but, i haven't heard the SLAM. yet
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the PPX3 has very good soundstage depth and width, and good instrument separation. i think it's hard to beat with the solen stage one upgrade and some good tubes but, i haven't heard the SLAM. yet
wink.gif

I've read your PPX3 impressions several times and indeed the PPX3 seems to have everything I desire that the HA-1 does not. I'm only compelled to keep looking because I suspect that something like MPX3 could do all of those things even better and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to afford one.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcgrant
I've read your PPX3 impressions several times and indeed the PPX3 seems to have everything I desire that the HA-1 does not. I'm only compelled to keep looking because I suspect that something like MPX3 could do all of those things even better and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to afford one.

if it's not that much more, than by all means get the MPX3. at the Ohio mini meet next saturday i'll be able to listen to my PPX3 along side MPX3's and the PPX3 SLAM. want me to give you my impressions of them all? i may even be able to listen to them with a pair of DT880's.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 17
I have a MPX3 and I am very happy with it. If you ask me does it have a good soundstage I would say yes without a hesitation, but it would not mean much. The reason is I do not have your ears and neither have I heard any other dedicated headphone amps
eggosmile.gif
wink.gif

However, if we are talking about my impression's on soundstage and the MPX3 in absolute terms, I have one in-put for you. Try early RCA's 6SN7GT. It actually does not matter that much which ones, as long as they have black plates, bottom getters and are from the very early years of the 1950's or the 40's. The big rage is about the VT-231 grey-bottles till 1948, and they are very good, but IMO the clear-bottle 6SN7GT's and even the early 6SN7GTA's are very much worth considering too, IF, you are looking for a grand presentation with a very, almost holistic, wide soundstage.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 17
I find the soundstage is largely affected by source and the headphones more so than the amp. That's another thing to consider.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 17
I'd wait for the Ohio mini-meet reviews to come in before deciding on the MPX3. The Slam has been well recieved by the people who heard it at Hirsch's place and Earl loves his. As far as depth of soundstage, all the Singlepowers I have heard (and the two owned) have done well in both width and depth. They get better in all areas as you move up the amp line. I prefer the MPX3 over the PPX3. Good luck.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I find the soundstage is largely affected by source and the headphones more so than the amp. That's another thing to consider.

Oh yes. Source first.

I believe soundstage is something you absolutley cannot create after the source. The source need to have that reproduction ability from the beginning.

If you do not get a good sound stage eventually, start looking at, in the following order IMHO: a) the software b) the source c) cables d) amplification.

Note: the order of c and d is given by if you have "good" gear

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

That's damn right! Try listening to vinyl if you want that 3 dimensional soundstage with good depth. The first time I heard it, my jaw dropped to the floor. Now I primarily listen to vinyl while my 3000+ CDs collect dust on the side, most of the time. (CDs are still convenient and portable)

Apr 22, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 17
Perhaps "soundstage" is too specific a term? The sense of depth I'm talking about is something I heard listening to the van Waarde amp with an iPod as the source. It could be that I just like tube sound in general.

In any case, I'll wait to hear impressions from the Ohio meet (EdipisReks, I would love to hear a comparison of those amps) and I'll see what I can hear for myself at the Detroit area meet next month.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 17
Hi rcgrant, I saw your post, I just didnt get a chance to respond. There will be four singlepower mpx3's battling it out in the preliminary rounds at the Ohio meet. One is a std old chassis 6sn7 mpx3, two are 6/12 volt mpx3's and one will be a newest version using 5687 tubes. This mpx3 with the 5687's is actually being finished tonight. Mikhail is seeing if the amp is better sounding with three 5687's or with a 6cg7 for the gain tube/ 5687's for output tubes combination like the SLAM. The SLAM will be going up against edipisreks ppx3-6cg7 in the opening round. The winners get to take on the tube rectified supra 6cg7 in the featured bout.
basshead.gif
This is going to be fun!!
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Oh yes. Source first.

I believe soundstage is something you absolutley cannot create after the source. The source need to have that reproduction ability from the beginning.

Having used good to very good sources for years with many different amps (headphone and speaker) I can say without a doubt that soundstage is affected and changed by the amp you use.

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Having used good to very good sources for years with many different amps (headphone and speaker) I can say without a doubt that soundstage is affected and changed by the amp you use.

definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back