Tube Amp With Darths?
Jun 23, 2007 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm just wondering if my Darth Beyers (V1 Open) would pair well with a tube amp? I'd probably end up going with a little dot II++, III or IV if I was to get one.

I've never heard a tube amp before but am intrigued by what people say about them. My only concern is how the bass is presented. I love bass with plenty of impact and power... from what I've read this can be an issue with tubes?

At the moment I'm just in the 'should I even go there?' stage of thinking... but would love to hear from other Darth owners who have heard their phones with a tube amp?

Anyone with a direct comparison between a little dot II+/++ and my current Xin Supermacro would be a bonus
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks very much

Paul

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 11
Anyone? Or is it just a stupid question?

I should have mentioned in my original post that I listen to a combination of older rock, modern rock and metal.

I'm having trouble finding much info on how tubes fare with rock/metal music and with the beyers. I've tried searching.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 11
I can't speak for the Little Dot, but my Darths are amazing with the Extreme. I used to listen to them with a Darkvoice, but I didn't like the combo as much as with the solid state Canamp, and prefered my Hornet, somewhat surprisingly, over both those amps with the Darths. I think it would depend on which tube amp and which tubes. I'm really not sure the Little Dot will give you what you're looking for, but if you buy one used, it sure couldn't hurt to try.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 11
Tubes present a warm tone to an already warm headphone. I felt with the SQ-84 that things were fine but a bit less defined than usual. I prefer a solid state. Heck the Hornet or Sr-71 is a fine fit.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes present a warm tone to an already warm headphone.

This is how I feel also. I prefer solid state.

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 11
My Darths sound very good with my Millett Hybrid. Darths plus tubes is just fine. I agree though that the tube qualities that make the Millett so ideal for the DT880s aren't really needed - or necessarily ideal - for the Darths. I'm looking forward to trying the Darths with the Xin Reference which should be more neutral.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 11
Sometimes, you just want to go overboard with the lush, tubey sound and add it to the already bassy, warm, Darth Beyers. It sounds incredibly musical and is foot-tapping in fun terms, but not the last word in neutrality or detail.

Darth 600 Ohm + ASL MG Head MkIII = sick, sick fun. Psychedelic. I love it. Screw neutrality, let's party like it's 1969 all over again!

Note: I wasn't even a twinkle in my dad's eyes when it was 1969.

EDIT: Clarification - Darths with tubes is a lot of fun, but it's a personal preference. Some people like it, some don't.

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd probably end up going with a little dot II++, III or IV if I was to get one.

Hello there,

I do own a LD2++ and I find it is a great match with my DT770 pro. I have Darth's on the way in probably 2-3 weeks. I can tell you that the LD2++ sound more solid state to me and is totally well paired with the 770's. I love the bass deepness and impact and as well the more forward mids. Don't forget you can also tailor the sound to your liking with the option of changing tubes! By switching tubes to what I use currently (see signature) I noticed a real improvement on the bass weight/midrange/instrument separation and details.

I would also consider that the LD2++ is a mature design and at the price it sells it is worth more than the money paid. I would personally wait before buying anything newly released from little-tube. Probably in the future weeks you will see more and more people selling their amps to get the newest design so it is a good time for you to go for it. I have seen LD2+ going for 40-50$ in the sell section! Some even consider this model to be more tubey sounding and prefer it's sound over the latest design which is more neutral and solid state sounding.

Just my 2 cents,

Charles

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 11
One of the best pairings I heard was a Scott Nixon Tube DAC+ as a source to an RSA Raptor hybrid tube amp to the Darth Beyers. I couldn't believe how "high class" it made these beasts sound! That was Zatara's rig BTW.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Though I agree with what some here have said about the combo of Darth's/Tubes being too much, I think one advantage you gain with the right tube amp is the ability to tube roll to tailor your sound. I just got my Darth's a few weeks ago and at first (even after burn in) could not handle the extreme bass. But then it dawned on me - the 6SL7 I was using was heavy on the bass end to pair up with my K701's. I rolled in a tube that had sounded too thin with the AKG's and it sounded great with the Darth's. So I would say tubes are a good choice if the amp you are looking for gives you options for tube rolling.

A_Sr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back