Tube amp "waking up" noises. Does anyone else like listening to them like I do?
Jan 25, 2009 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danmagicman7

100+ Head-Fier
When turning on my WA6 "cold", I get some really neat and distorted humming sounds going through the headphones. It starts in the right ear, then swings around to the left ear, gives a distorted groan then pans back to the center.

I think I've determined I'm hearing the Mullard 5AR4 rectifier tube warming up and giving me its "yawn". Tuberolling the drive/power tubes doesn't change the sound of the waking up noise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe this is a bad thing...but it sure sounds fine when the tube is all warmed up :).

Anyone else have this happen with their tube amp? Share your experiences :).

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 7
I used to experienced the same with my Raptor initially and I thought it was the tubes. Eventually I discoverred it was kinda EMI/RFI cased by interconnects and LOD during cold startup. The issue is gone since I got my hands on the ALO Wood dock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmagicman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When turning on my WA6 "cold", I get some really neat and distorted humming sounds going through the headphones. It starts in the right ear, then swings around to the left ear, gives a distorted groan then pans back to the center.

I think I've determined I'm hearing the Mullard 5AR4 rectifier tube warming up and giving me its "yawn". Tuberolling the drive/power tubes doesn't change the sound of the waking up noise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe this is a bad thing...but it sure sounds fine when the tube is all warmed up :).

Anyone else have this happen with their tube amp? Share your experiences :).

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 7
No, but I like the tinkling sound when they go to sleep!

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to experienced the same with my Raptor initially and I thought it was the tubes. Eventually I discoverred it was kinda EMI/RFI cased by interconnects and LOD during cold startup. The issue is gone since I got my hands on the ALO Wood dock.

ALO wood dock?

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a Maple dock. Great sounding. ALO Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back