Tube AMP recommendations!
Feb 20, 2023 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

omni94

Head-Fier
Hi there, have been recently lurking around the forum and after reading countless of threads, I'm still a rookie / undecided on what my next step should be!

I'm currently looking in adding a tube AMP to my setup, currently leaning for the Feliks Echo 2 or maybe a custom WBA.

I'm by no means an expert and I might be chasing a non existent unicorn, since I have no experience with tubes. I'm currently looking for more warmth and maybe more slam from my setup.

Current Setup;

Player PC > Topping E70 DAC > Schiit Jotunheim 2 / SMSL SP200.
Headphones - ZMF Auteur Classic and LCD 2C. (Future headphones that interest me, Meze 109s, ZMF Aeolus , Sony Z1R / Z7M2, Fostex th900mk2)

My budget for the amp is around 1000 Euro, but still open to more expensive products. As I have previously mentioned, I'm looking at the echo, but my limited experience is telling me that I won't see much difference from my current setup and I'm probably better off in getting other headphones.

My journey so far has been chasing the Focal sound signature from other headphones, since I cannot use Focal headphones as I find them too uncomfortable. The Auteur is almost perfect for me, but its missing that Focal slam. I know that I can EQ, but I prefer having stock hardware that pleases me as is.

Looking forward to read your recommendations !

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Headphones - ZMF Auteur Classic and LCD 2C. (Future headphones that interest me, Meze 109s, ZMF Aeolus , Sony Z1R / Z7M2, Fostex th900mk2)
With this combo of headphones you will want to stick to a TC/SET/300B amp.
OTL amps sound fantastic but do not do well driving planars and/or low impedance dynamic driver headphones. As far as which specific amp to look at, I cannot comment as many good TC amps that I've heard cost significantly more than your budget.
The Auteur is almost perfect for me, but its missing that Focal slam. I know that I can EQ, but I prefer having stock hardware that pleases me as is.
If you enjoy the sound of the Auteur but want more slam you can either look into sending it back to ZMF and have it upgraded to an Auteur Classic, or get the Atrium.
The Auteur classic def has more slam than the OG Auteur and is slightly warmer with a better stage, but the increase in slam isn't a massive jump.
The Atrium sounds quite similar to the Auteur Classic, but has a significant increase in bass response, especially in the midbass. Then there is the Atrium Closed which will be debuting at Canjam NYC this coming weekend. I havent had a chance to hear it yet, but those that have report a significant increase in sub bass.

EDIT: You can also try pad rolling on your Auteur, but just so you understand, the Auteur is ZMF's most neutrally tuned headphone, thus not having prodigeous midbass slam. IMHO you will get the results you are after from a new headphone, specifically the Atrium. That being said, a TC amp upgrade will be a benefit to all of your headphones.

This thread will give you lots of options to research if you decide to go with an amp upgrade.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 8
With this combo of headphones you will want to stick to a TC/SET/300B amp.
OTL amps sound fantastic but do not do well driving planars and/or low impedance dynamic driver headphones. As far as which specific amp to look at, I cannot comment as many good TC amps that I've heard cost significantly more than your budget.

If you enjoy the sound of the Auteur but want more slam you can either look into sending it back to ZMF and have it upgraded to an Auteur Classic, or get the Atrium.
The Auteur classic def has more slam than the OG Auteur and is slightly warmer with a better stage, but the increase in slam isn't a massive jump.
The Atrium sounds quite similar to the Auteur Classic, but has a significant increase in bass response, especially in the midbass. Then there is the Atrium Closed which will be debuting at Canjam NYC this coming weekend. I havent had a chance to hear it yet, but those that have report a significant increase in sub bass.

EDIT: You can also try pad rolling on your Auteur, but just so you understand, the Auteur is ZMF's most neutrally tuned headphone, thus not having prodigeous midbass slam. IMHO you will get the results you are after from a new headphone, specifically the Atrium. That being said, a TC amp upgrade will be a benefit to all of your headphones.

This thread will give you lots of options to research if you decide to go with an amp upgrade.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Thanks for your input , much appreciated.

I'm actually kicking myself, since recently I flown out to another country to try the ZMF line up, since I don't have any audio store over here, but in the 6 hours spent there, I still didn't manage to hear all of them. I didn't get to hear the Aeolus , Atrium and Caldera.

Apologies if I didn't make it clear, but I actually have the Auteur Classic and not the OG. I have recently swapped its pads to the perforated suede ones, simply just for comfort, since I was having discomfort with the leather perforated ones due to my glasses. I've read around that people try the Eikon suede pads with it, but not sure if they recommend the perforated or solid ones. To be fair , I didn't find the Eikon to be comfortable with its stock pads either though.

With regards to 'TC/SET/300B', could you kindly tell me what SET stands for please ?

I have seen a 300B amp from WBA, but this is still an OTL unfortunately.

I haven't figured out yet how to quote parts of your message, but thanks for the thread recommendation, I've actually been going through it on and off already ! Been googling some of the amps being shown there, since not everyone adds their opinion on their setup :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Just so you can spark an interesting conversation, check out the tor audio fully balanced amp and consider adding this high-quality matching pair of 6SN7GT tubes:

https://toraudio.com/main.html?v=49#

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-base/the-6sn7gt-the-best-general-purpose-dual-triode/

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/psvane-cv181-t-mii/2/6sn7gt-matched-pair

Just one serious caveat with this amp: do not use 6.35mm, 3.5mm, or other single-ended Cables with the XLR-or-balanced-output, as the lack of a grounding contact can damage any component(s) within the signal path.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Just so you can spark an interesting conversation, check out the tor audio fully balanced amp and consider adding this high-quality matching pair of 6SN7GT tubes:

https://toraudio.com/main.html?v=49#

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-base/the-6sn7gt-the-best-general-purpose-dual-triode/

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/psvane-cv181-t-mii/2/6sn7gt-matched-pair

I've actually stumbled upon Tor recently, but couldn't find where they're made or any online activity from them hinting that they're still in operation. I'll definitely read up on that tube type though!

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 8
I didn't get to hear the Aeolus , Atrium and Caldera.
Aeolus- very warm, great mids, slams real hard, same with the closed back version, the Atticus
Atrium- crazy staging, hard hitting, quite forward midrange, not as warm as Aeolus/Atticus
Caldera- balanced sound with a slight bump in the bass, ZMF treble and detail retrieval king, fast and precise.
I've read around that people try the Eikon suede pads with it, but not sure if they recommend the perforated or solid ones.
The pads can have a profound impact on the way ZMFs sound. Swapping pads can help with glasses, but it's the sonic differences that most people are going for.
The ZMF rule of thumb is perforated pads are for open backs, non perf for closed backs.
Apparently the new Atrium closed is going to change that though.

Perhaps @heliosphann or @zach915m can chime in with pad rolling ideas to increase the bass on the Auteur Classic. I almost always end up preferring the stock pads, so I stick with them, and FWIW I wear wire frame glasses for listening with no comfort issues.
With regards to 'TC/SET/300B', could you kindly tell me what SET stands for please ?
SET= Single Ended Triode

Essentially the SET,TC and 300B are all the same with slight variations,. but the end result is they all can drive most any headphone on the planet, regardless of impedance and/or sensitivity.

Most folks seem to rave about 300B amps for bass response, just be aware that the prices for good 300b tubes are obscenely pricey. Check the prices for Elrogs or Western electric 300b tubes and you will understand.

but I actually have the Auteur Classic and not the OG.
As I mentioned above, the Classic has slightly more impact than the OG, but not a night and day difference. The Atrium open or closed is what will get you a significant uptick in slam.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Grab the Peak currently on the classifieds. It will bottleneck your system > allow upgrades and thrash many more expensive amplifiers.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Aeolus- very warm, great mids, slams real hard, same with the closed back version, the Atticus
Atrium- crazy staging, hard hitting, quite forward midrange, not as warm as Aeolus/Atticus
Caldera- balanced sound with a slight bump in the bass, ZMF treble and detail retrieval king, fast and precise.

The pads can have a profound impact on the way ZMFs sound. Swapping pads can help with glasses, but it's the sonic differences that most people are going for.
The ZMF rule of thumb is perforated pads are for open backs, non perf for closed backs.
Apparently the new Atrium closed is going to change that though.

Perhaps @heliosphann or @zach915m can chime in with pad rolling ideas to increase the bass on the Auteur Classic. I almost always end up preferring the stock pads, so I stick with them, and FWIW I wear wire frame glasses for listening with no comfort issues.

SET= Single Ended Triode

Essentially the SET,TC and 300B are all the same with slight variations,. but the end result is they all can drive most any headphone on the planet, regardless of impedance and/or sensitivity.

Most folks seem to rave about 300B amps for bass response, just be aware that the prices for good 300b tubes are obscenely pricey. Check the prices for Elrogs or Western electric 300b tubes and you will understand.

As I mentioned above, the Classic has slightly more impact than the OG, but not a night and day difference. The Atrium open or closed is what will get you a significant uptick in slam.
Hi there, have been recently lurking around the forum and after reading countless of threads, I'm still a rookie / undecided on what my next step should be!

I'm currently looking in adding a tube AMP to my setup, currently leaning for the Feliks Echo 2 or maybe a custom WBA.

I'm by no means an expert and I might be chasing a non existent unicorn, since I have no experience with tubes. I'm currently looking for more warmth and maybe more slam from my setup.

Current Setup;

Player PC > Topping E70 DAC > Schiit Jotunheim 2 / SMSL SP200.

My budget for the amp is around 1000 Euro, but still open to more expensive products. As I have previously mentioned, I'm looking at the echo, but my limited experience is telling me that I won't see much difference from my current setup and I'm probably better off in getting other headphones.

My journey so far has been chasing the Focal sound signature from other headphones, since I cannot use Focal headphones as I find them too uncomfortable. The Auteur is almost perfect for me, but its missing that Focal slam. I know that I can EQ, but I prefer having stock hardware that pleases me as is.

Looking forward to read your recommendations !

Thanks!
Has anyone listened to the Living Sound Audio Hyperdrive 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back