Tube amp questions for endgame setup
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

some dude

Head-Fier
To start out I currently use a pair of ZMF Verite closed backs. These may be the forever pair however I’m still trying to put ears on some Abyss Diana phi or v2 before I officially declare a permanent winner though. I will be running an ifi Diablo as my portable option which can also double as a pretty decent balanced dac for a desktop. I am looking to add a nice tube amp at home to finish off my setup.

I would like to keep it under $2k but I am open to used stuff. So far I am very interested in a woo wa7 3rd gen. I really love the look, size, and built in dac. The only concern I have is if it is powerful enough at only 1.5w it’s not nearly as beefy as some other options and I like to listen loud sometimes. I am also considering a used zmf pendant or something similar like a forge if the opportunity presents itself. I’m not really sure about the difference in performance between the wa7 and a pendant, I would love to hear from anyone more knowledgeable. I’m not stuck on only these few amps, I’m open to other suggestions as well if you guys have any. The wa7 does get some bonus points from me for being a little more kid friendly than the average tube amp.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 11
You're looking for a tube amp for the VC and the Abyss, or just VC?

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 11
You're looking for a tube amp for the VC and the Abyss, or just VC?
I currently own the VC but am pretty interested in the Diana’s. I wanted to grab an amp that would be sufficient for either pair incase I end getting the abyss in the near future. I’m hoping the wa7 would cut it because it’s so sleek looking and relatively affordable at $1500 with an integrated dac. I’m definitely open to other setups though if there is substantially better performance to $ ratio within a similar price range including used gear. I’m just looking for opinions or insights from head-fi members who have more knowledge and experience than myself when it comes to dacs and amps.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 11
To start out I currently use a pair of ZMF Verite closed backs. These may be the forever pair however I’m still trying to put ears on some Abyss Diana phi or v2 before I officially declare a permanent winner though. I will be running an ifi Diablo as my portable option which can also double as a pretty decent balanced dac for a desktop. I am looking to add a nice tube amp at home to finish off my setup.

I would like to keep it under $2k but I am open to used stuff. So far I am very interested in a woo wa7 3rd gen. I really love the look, size, and built in dac. The only concern I have is if it is powerful enough at only 1.5w it’s not nearly as beefy as some other options and I like to listen loud sometimes. I am also considering a used zmf pendant or something similar like a forge if the opportunity presents itself. I’m not really sure about the difference in performance between the wa7 and a pendant, I would love to hear from anyone more knowledgeable. I’m not stuck on only these few amps, I’m open to other suggestions as well if you guys have any. The wa7 does get some bonus points from me for being a little more kid friendly than the average tube amp.
Well the WA 7 Gen 3 is new to me and have not heard it so don’t know. Have heard the WA7’s before and was not particularly impressed but it wasn’t bad at all.
I have a pair of ZMF VO’s and also the Abyss Diana V2’s and Diana TC’s (took the place of the Phi’s) as well as a iFi iDSD Diablo.
I have a Amps and Sound Kenzie that is what I really enjoy the VO’s out of and doesn’t have a problem running the Diana’s either.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 11
I can get a used wa7 gen 1 for about $500 but the gen 1 and 2 are only 1w SE. Compared to the gen 3 which is 1.5w balanced there is a substantial difference in price but also in power so I’m not too sure about the gen 1 being sufficiently powerful enough or not. If I could just grab the gen 1 and be happy forever that would be fantastic but I get the feeling that it’s probably not enough amp. I had a 1.5w xduoo mt-604 and it really didn’t seem to be enough to power my VC the way I would like but it’s also a $170 cheap Chinese amp so I’m not really sure how it would compare to the wa7 which is also 1.5w

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Well the WA 7 Gen 3 is new to me and have not heard it so don’t know. Have heard the WA7’s before and was not particularly impressed but it wasn’t bad at all.
I have a pair of ZMF VO’s and also the Abyss Diana V2’s and Diana TC’s (took the place of the Phi’s) as well as a iFi iDSD Diablo.
I have a Amps and Sound Kenzie that is what I really enjoy the VO’s out of and doesn’t have a problem running the Diana’s either.
I run a ifi signature as my portable amp atm which is pretty similar to the Diablo. I was about to get a Diablo today but the deal fell through last minute :frowning2:

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 11

I would go either Pendant SE or Forge. I auditioned almost a dozen tube amps and I settled on an Ampsandsound Rockwell, but I like most of their tube amps. Pairing is magical with ZMF VC.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 11
The Kenzie seems to have such low output specs, at least from what I’ve seen like sub 1w. How is it powerful enough to run your abyss sets? Maybe I’m missing something somewhere or not understanding it correctly.

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Well could be that I’m running a 5755 input tube that Justin set me with the adapter for a 12SL7 and have not switched it out as it just works for me. I don’t know why just that it works for me.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 11
The Kenzie seems to have such low output specs, at least from what I’ve seen like sub 1w. How is it powerful enough to run your abyss sets? Maybe I’m missing something somewhere or not understanding it correctly
Well could be that I’m running a 5755 input tube that Justin set me with the adapter for a 12SL7 and have not switched it out as it just works for me. I don’t know why just that it works for me.
there is a dude selling a Kenzie encore deluxe on here for about $1500. I’ll have to do a little bit more research on it before reaching out to the guy but I’ll definitely give it some serious consideration based on your very positive review. I wonder if my ifi signature or a Diablo would be a sufficient dac or if I’d have to pony up for a separate dedicated desktop dac.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 11
I’m not sure why it keeps adding my new replies with older replies. I’m obviously not using the reply button correctly or something, sometimes it’s hard being a noob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back