Tube amp for the RS-1 and the Denon 5000,,!!!
Jun 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

olblueyez

Banned
I am starting this thread for my friend Plonter. Plonter has a Headroom Ultra Micro but wans something a bit warmer for his Grados and he is starting the search for a new tube amp at 700 or less.

I pointed him towards the WA6, the Mapletree MAD EAR+, and the EF-1.

Let us know what you think and if you have a recommendation then explain what tubes your using and why please.

Thanks Much.

Plonter and Frank
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 67
The grado sure need a tube sound, especially mine...they seems to be less bassy than they should...i am blaming my ultra micro's for that.

but the denons...it's another whole issue. in fact..they are way too bassy.
is there a tube that can fix this? i mean...less bass?
but i guess i can keep using them with the headroom stack and the grado with a tube amp.

at the moment, i am leaning towards the EF1 or the woo.
but the EF1 still looks like a good way to start my tubes jurney and it's also very cheap!
wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The grado sure need a tube sound, especially mine...they seems to be less bassy than they should...i am blaming my ultra micro's for that.

but the denons...it's another whole issue. in fact..they are way too bassy.
is there a tube that can fix this? i mean...less bass?
but i guess i can keep using them with the headroom stack and the grado with a tube amp.

at the moment, i am leaning towards the EF1 or the woo.
but the EF1 still looks like a good way to start my tubes jurney and it's also very cheap!
wink_face.gif

Dont get me wrong, the EF-1 would be cheap and a lot of fun. I can help you with tube selections on that one too. You would want a Siemens 5814A or Siemens E82CC for your Denons. The Grados sound like they would work well with a Sylvania GB 5814A/6189. The Siemens is very detailed and almost neutral. The Sylvania is warm and soooooooooo smooth with a nice kick in the bass department, it rolls off the highs slightly too.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a tube hybrid for the D5000? Most tube amps I've heard don't sound all that great with the Denons. They're also a very hard load. Transformer coupled?

Another reason to go for the EF-1.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another reason to go for the EF-1.

yes..it's all pointing for the EF1 . the only thing that worries me is that in skylab's review of the EF1 he mentioned that he wouldnt recommend using it with already bright can (like the grado) because the EF1 (as he stated) is tends to be on the bright side (possibly because it's a hybrid?).

but if you are saying that i can change that with a help of a tube, than i don't mind. as long as the sound sig would be different and warmer than my micros.

olblueyez..i will be looking for your tube recommendations. where exactly can i get those?

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 67
I read some more comments about the EF1 in other threads,they say that it's power plug is not right for europe countries or something...
how should i change the plug..? do i have to rip off the cable or something.?
i just don't feel like going through this, just want to listen and enjoy music without headaces.

someone have a picture of the EF1 power supply plug?

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Is there a difference(soundwise) between amps with 2 or more tubes and the EF1 that has only one tube?

Well, if either one of them can sound like 20 different amps depending on what tube/s are being used then what do you think? It's just a different topology, the EF1 runs both channels through the one triode tube, (Triode tube has two sections) and the other amp is running each channel through a separate tube. Not always, but usually the more tubes the more complex the design is and the better it will sound. For your purposes don't be concerned about the number of tubes for one second. Instead I would worry more about how many tube choices do I have for the amp and how much do the tubes cost.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

I read some more comments about the EF1 in other threads,they say that it's power plug is not right for europe countries or something...
how should i change the plug..? do i have to rip off the cable or something.?
i just don't feel like going through this, just want to listen and enjoy music without headaces.

someone have a picture of the EF1 power supply plug?

230V?

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 67
I believe wiatrob bought an RS-1 after listening to that pairing in a denver meet soon after protophase was completed. He thought the combo sounded so good that it justified buying an RS-1 just for the amplifier.

I heard the HF-2s with my CTH and thought similarly at Canjam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back