Tube amp for the D2000s (I'm confused)
Oct 31, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #17 of 30
the Woo6 works. it's true that most of the lower end, and even some of the higher end tube amps cannot drive the Denons. driving the denons won't damage the amp but it will sound like crap.

however, the tube amps that have either transformer output or an OTL with HUGE capacitors can do it. or just get a speaker tube amp, one with low noise.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #18 of 30
Hmm yea, I think I may go with the Little Dot I+ Hybrid. On the specs it says that I can replace the tubes..

# 6JI - standard
# Replace standard tubes with EF92 - additional $20 USD
# Replace standard tubes with WE408A - additional $50 USD

Should I just leave the standard tubes in?

Also, the LD I+ is good right? haha

Thanks again everyone for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #19 of 30
I can't comment on the woo or ss since I have neither. But I do have the LD 1+ which goes rather nicely with my grado's which are low imped. I would swap the 6j1's out for some mullard m8100's or some 408a's. Piexx has the 408a's for a buck a piece. Matched. I forgot my LD 1+ is ss also, so I reckon I've got the best of both worlds.

David

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bada is a hybrid with mosfet output, it should be able to drive low impedance headphones right? Standard tube amp, is better with high impedance cans.
wink_face.gif

The Bada PH-12 does quite well with the D2000 and D5000, IMHE. On the other hand, the beastly, all-tube Darkvoice 337 does not drive the Denons well at all, tube choices notwithstanding. The DV337 really, really shines with the likes of the DT880/2003 or the HD650, though.

So, olblueyez' points are well taken, at least in my particular case.

Lastly, my experience with the Bada is that of a very balanced sound in terms of its not having a decidedly "solid state" versus "tube" character, although tube choices may tip the scale more to one side than the other. The hybrid G&W T2.6F, on the other hand, definitely has a decidedly SS character. The key to the Bada PH-12's success, IMHO, is its 6SN7-based design; it is one of the best balanced, musical and naturally analogue-sounding amps I've tried. And with the "Fitz-Max Jr." mods, what was already very good just got appreciably better! : )

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 30
The Bada PH-12 is way over my budget, so I think I'm better off to go with the hybrid ss/tube amp rather than a low end tube amp as I'm gathering from everyone a low end tube amp cannot drive low impedance cans.

For the $109 price tag are there any other hybrid amps that compete agains't the LD I+ hybrid?

Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 30
No, it's not a matter of low or high end tube amps, it's just that tube amps in general are not particularly suited to low impedance phones (in general) and the D2000 in particular. Tube amp designs put out a lot of voltage, and are able to handle voltage swings a lot better than solid state - something that high impedance cans need to thrive. SS amps put out more current, which is better suited to low impedance headphones. Generalizations, but that should sum it up for you...

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a tube hybrid .... the Millet Starving Student is excellent with low impedandce headphones and is inexpensive. This amp will have plenty of power and while more SS sounding vs a pure tube amp .... there is a nice a touch of tubiness to the sound.

Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier - Default Store View

Is the Millet SS "good for the money" or is it excellent even when comparing to your Singlepower amps when using low impedance headphones?

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #26 of 30
My Audio-gd C2C arrived today, and though it may be outside the OP's budget ($330), let me say it drives my MD5000s with great authority and detail right through the range. Audio-gd has a couple of cheaper SS amps as well that might be worth investigating if my experience is anything to go by.

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Millet SS "good for the money" or is it excellent even when comparing to your Singlepower amps when using low impedance headphones?

My Starving Student amps are maxxed out examples with many upgraded parts vs the standard builds. I think the amps I have are excellent with my Alessandros period. Still, you miss a certain richness and liquidity compared to my PPX3 SLAMs .... and the sense of space is better with the tube amp too. But, I know I could live with the Millet long term and I am really picky.

In fact, I couldnt resist and bought another really cool Millet SS tonight.
icon10.gif

What a beauty .... Postal_Blue's Starving Student Millett.

AtlMt0705-10.jpg

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #29 of 30
That's like the toy truck CMOY with the opamp as headers and RCA jacks for exhaust pipes, lol...damn, whose was that? I saw it today here in a really old post...rds, maybe?

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's like the toy truck CMOY with the opamp as headers and RCA jacks for exhaust pipes, lol...damn, whose was that? I saw it today here in a really old post...rds, maybe?

What a beauty .... Postal_Blue's Starving Student Millett.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back