tube amp for Senn580's < $500
Jul 6, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 26
The Little Dot MK3 is the rig with my HD580. It as though it was meant to be!! Superb looks - all class, a large/wide soundscape, dead quiet-no hiss/hum, liquid smooth details and resolution. Major step above the previous Little Dots. What ever faults they had are fixed now with the MK range.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #17 of 26
Yeah the Eddie Current Lunchbox is what I'd go with. Best possible deal at the price.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #18 of 26
I have a main WA6 and bedside Lunchbox setup. The Lunchbox is the better bang for buck, but the WA6 is superior and allows more options with impedance switch (though v2 of Lunchbox does also) and tube swap options. For the price points, for a tube amp it's hard to go wrong with either. I haven't the Little Dot or other amps you've mentioned though so don't know if the Lunchbox for instance is superior.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 26
Cary SLP-88 just got sold on Audiogon for $600. If you can scrape that, it'll be the next to last headphone amp you'll ever buy.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ASL MG Head MKIII in OTL mode works musical magic with the Senns.
Not the last word in detail, but just sounds right.

x2

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok; lets see if I got this right.

Talking about just the HD580/600, would it be safe to say that the WA3/WA3+ may produce the better SQ, perhaps due to the lack of the transformers in the output that may impart their own limits on the output clarity of the WA6?

I notice that the specs state that to be the case, but is the WA3/+ even the slightest bit better in "listenable" SQ than WA6?

I'll have to defer to someone that has heard both the WA6 and the WA3/3+.

But... my guess would be that for just Senns... the WA3 or WA3+ would be about optimum for the money - with the right tube selection - see other related threads (e.g. Woo 3 Modified, etc.).

I'd likely invest the additional money in the WA6 only if I had Grados, or other low Z phones, as well as Senns - I'm sure it's great with both.

If only Senns... I'd be tempted to try the WA3+.

But... you may want to consider the resale potential for the time when you catch "upgraditis." Because of it's versatility, the WA6 would very likely be easier to sell - more buyers.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 26
Yeah it would be great if there were more people that heard both. ToneAudios review had the WA3+ better for GS1K (low impedance) and WA6 better for variety of phones including the HD650 (high impedance). The K701 (higher low impedance) was said to do pretty well with both. The WA3+ was also tube rolled, while the WA6 was not. Still it's a tad confusing as you generally would expect the opposite. So few people have heard both, but Jack Woo certainly steered me towards the WA6 when having multiple phones.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #24 of 26
This question of 3+ or 6 can be rather confusing after all. I finally got my PDF working again and got to see the review. And, uh; interesting.

Seems to me that OTL would have worked better with the Senns for sure, even though they say otherwise. And then they go on to say "Great Grado" on the 3+ when common sense would indicate WA6!

Ya don't think it's a typo, do ya?
rolleyes.gif

Thank goodness my wallet is still in the recovery stage and I don't have to decide right away! So I've got time to listen to more comments from those who have heard both when they come in. At my age the upgraditus bug has little effect anymore, but with raising four Grandkids; all purchases have to be right the first time!
wink.gif

.....now if they were half-right and the Grado was best on the WA3+ and half wrong, that the Senns was actually better on the 3+ too!

I'd like that.

....and so would my MS2i and HD600!

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 26
I must agree... the modded XCAN v3 is truly exceptional with both Senns and Grados - especially with the Monarchy M24 DAC - it has to be heard with the HD650's to be believed - completely transforms their SQ.

But... the WA3/3+ provides a bit more of a 3D tube sound than the modded XCAN v3. So you get great sound, with versatility, but a bit less of that tube euphony with the XCAN v3. However... I won't be giving up my modded XCan v3 - no matter how sweet the WA3/3+ may be with Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back