Tube amp for RS-2 and HD600
Jul 16, 2009 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the 325i and LD I+ combo that I'm fairly happy with. However after hearing the two headphones above at the Chicago meet I'm in love and will be getting them soon. I also wish to upgrade my amplifier. So what's the best tube amp for these 2 very different phones under $450 shipped? I'd be willing to buy and try if necessary.

Edit: I will also buy used if that gets me a better amp. Audiophiles mostly take care of there stuff so I'm not too worried.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 14
I think most people here will recommend a Woo Audio amp of some sort, but I've never heard any of the models.

It's a hybrid amp, but I was always impressed with the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 with the RS-1s and the HD6x0s. Assuming things have not gotten worse from v3 to v8, I think a brand new v8 amp will fall in your budget.

EDIT: One other suggestion. Look into Earmax amps.

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm thinking something from Mapletree. If I can find one used that'd be ideal however if I cannot locate anything within the next week or so I'm going to order directly from Mapletree.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a hybrid amp, but I was always impressed with the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 with the RS-1s and the HD6x0s. Assuming things have not gotten worse from v3 to v8, I think a brand new v8 amp will fall in your budget.

The highs on V8/V8P are much smoother and not as strident anymore. Pretty nice for Grado heads such as myself.

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 14
Like some posts have already mentioned, I've heard only the best things about the MAD Ear + Purist HD amp and its synergy with Grado 'phones.

Back when I had a Little Dot MK IV SE amp with a RS-2, that also served me quite well. In fact, when I chose the WA6 amp to "upgrade" from the LD, I couldn't detect a difference or improvement from the LD. It shocked me too.

But if you do buy the LD, do be aware that for some reason, they have a hard time selling on the FS sub-forum.
confused_face.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 14
The Head-Direct EF-1 hybrid is fab with the Senn HD600 (it was voiced for it) ... and check out the Hi Flight mod. Or an RCA clear-top.

I also liked it with my Grado GS-1000s.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 14
try to find a place to audition the x can v8.I have x can v8+hd 600 and i like the sound very much.I don't know about the grado though.
The x can v8 gives the hd 600(650 cable)a nice balanced sound with wide soundstage,good imaging,clear detailed and smooth highs,and well defined mids and bass.If you buy the xpsu v8(or little pinkie) the sound gets even better,with improved prat,dynamics and transparency.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 14
i had this exact same equation. i use a eddie current ec-01 with the hd 600 and i also have the ec/dc that compliments the ec-01 to run my rs-2's. LOVE the combo. currently i use the ec-01 ec/dc combo as my desk rig. this combo is also a pre-amp, and i use it infront of a parasound z-amp pushing paradigm atoms. the entire set up is top notch. the end result is far far better than the some of its parts. you might have to do some hunting, but its more than worth it.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 14
I've got a MAD Ear + Purist HD and RS2's, really sound lovely together. You will have to hunt for something second hand to hit your price range though. I got mine by putting a wanted ad on Audigon, had a beautiful custom one in a few days :)

3594257613_fd2153385e.jpg

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 14
I am thinking about buying a 325i. People can recommend the Little Dot amps for this headphone. I have a bithead right now, but would like to get something tubed and entry level. Not too expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back