Tube Amp for rock? Little Dot II?
May 7, 2006 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm fascinated with Tube amps. I just want one, I don't know why. See those lil things glow make me warm and fuzzy inside =)

I'm going to China/Taiwan/Hong Kong this summer... and I know China has a ton of (copy and original) audio equipment that is cheap and decent.

One thing that caught my mind is the Little Dot II. I the II instead of the III because of the size and price. I'd love one
biggrin.gif
It looks awesome, no idea how it sounds but yeah...

I recently got "out" of this hobby because it was getting expensive (sold my beloved K501s, ER6s....). I still have a decent set el-cheap headphones and amp. KSC-35s, HD201s, PA2V2.

I have an itching to get back.... why? I see the K501s are selling for real cheap ($129) and if I can get the Little Dot II for ~$120 that isn't bad at all. Add a pair of Grado SR225s for a similar price... and I'll be happy.

For some reason I get the impression that tubes will sound warm and lush, but lacking speed and attack. However, I've been told that different amps sound differently, and don't just assume if it's tube it's not good for rock or whatever.

I listen to rock mainly. Though I love slipping in a classical CD or get my groove on with some trip-hop/electronica. But the main thing is rock. Glam Rock, modern, indy, alternative. Pink Floyd to Guns N' Roses to Bright Eyes to Radiohead to The Mars Volta.

I adore female vocals (AKG shining point =)). I feel tubes are better for this... a more "natural" sound?

For the rock, I want the SR225s (or maybe the SR60s).

For the rest, I want the K501s (again, I miss those)... or maybe I'll save up for 601 or even 701 in the future :| (bad expensive habit...)

The question is, is tube for me? I love the overdriven tubey guitar sound from the muffy smooth to crunchy distortion. For some reason I'm applying this to headphone amplifiers.

Main concern: will tubes remove the "attack"? I love punchy bass in rock.. main reason I'm getting the Grados.

Technical stuff... low/high impedence... *confused* different amps for different phones?

May 7, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
If you love rock, why are you getting a k501?
confused.gif

You can also try a Millett hybrid.

When's the last time you listened to rock through the K501?

May 7, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Uh... I stated I wanted the K501s because I miss them, and I love female vocals and orchestral music... which the AKGs excel at.

The Grados are for rock.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 9
^bump^

In HK now. Looking to buy a Little Dot II since it's really cheap and I've always wanted a tube amp lol.

Only thing I'm worried about is SPEED, as I've heard it's not so good with tubes as SS. I do listen to some TMV and Coheed which involves speed.. but it's not my MAIN concern.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm a huge rock/punk/metal fan, and my DT990/LD2 handle it beautifully. I listen to thrash and goth/fantasy metal at times, and I can't think of a genre that needs the attack more to maintain the sound. When you add warmth you seem to inherently remove a bit of speed, but this combo does wonderfully. I would have no problems recommending a LD2 for rocking out. Also, get your hands on some Telefunkens to repace the stock drivers, you'll be glad you did!

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I'm a huge rock/punk/metal fan, and my DT990/LD2 handle it beautifully. I listen to thrash and goth/fantasy metal at times, and I can't think of a genre that needs the attack more to maintain the sound. When you add warmth you seem to inherently remove a bit of speed, but this combo does wonderfully. I would have no problems recommending a LD2 for rocking out. Also, get your hands on some Telefunkens to repace the stock drivers, you'll be glad you did!

Whoa I'm a rock fan who loves the 990s and I just ordered the LD2+! Which tubes did you replace exactly? The telefunkens are pretty expensive though.

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 9
I will be submitting an LD2 review shortly. But I will say that the LD2 and Senn 650 perform well together.

The amp tends to a be a bit bright which compliments the Senn 650 nicely. Clarity and detail are good with this amp. The strengths of this amp are soundstage air and dynamics compared to opamp based headphone amps in this pricerange.

Bass is full and deep with good texture, but does not have the attack speed and tightness of solid state amps.

If someone has been successful with replacement driver or power tubes I would love to hear about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back