Tube amp for K701
Jul 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #16 of 34
The Doge 6210 is a transformer output tube amp which is around $410 new. I am going to get one used soon just for my K701.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 34
I agree with UNCLE ERIK. If you are thinking only tube amps will work well with the K701 then you are mistaken. Mine sound superb with the Solo SRG. Much better than the HD650 at the moment and the amp is still burning in
k701smile.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 34
You may also want to consider other types of hybrid tube amps that uses solid state and tube technology. They can be purchased for a few hundred dollars brotha.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into the x-can v8, its a hybrid. Excellent combo with the 701.

this does look good but, I was hoping for no built in dac

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm enjoying very much my 701's with the Antique Sound Lab MG- Head OTL Mark III DT.
Maybe the first time i listen to them full of sound and soundstage

this one looks good to me as well, but I'm curious what other amps have you tried the k701 with? Could you compare it to another amp?

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_goody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this does look good but, I was hoping for no built in dac

The DAC takes up very little space inside the chasis, not much is devoted to it. If you don't have a decent DAC to use you will be glad that it's there, using a decent external is much better however.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Look into the x-can v8, its a hybrid. Excellent combo with the 701.

I can concur with this statement. I just purchased an X-Can V8P from MusicDirect and it mates extremely well with it.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Head Direct EF 1 is a nice pick

The EF 1 is reviewed well here. Especially for K701/2.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #26 of 34
ry_goody;5814349 said:
this one looks good to me as well, but I'm curious what other amps have you tried the k701 with? Could you compare it to another amp?[/QUOTE

i have 3 amps, Larocco PRII (mk2), Head-Direct EF 1, and the Antique Sound Lab MG- Head OTL Mark III DT.
Before i have the Antique Sound i prefer the 701's with the ss Larocco, more bass than Ef1 equal soundstage depending on tube.With EF1 the 701's are warmer with mullards or rca black plates, but after i buy second hand Antique Sound, i think the Larocco don't give enough power to the 701's and the EF1 has not enough bass.
The Antique Sound Lab MG- Head OTL Mark III DT, has OTL and transformer so you can use it with low and high impedance hp and has 2 hp out.
With the EF1 + RCA cleartop you have a quasi ss amp.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

The DAC takes up very little space inside the chasis, not much is devoted to it. If you don't have a decent DAC to use you will be glad that it's there, using a decent external is much better however.

I am supportive of this recommendation.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #29 of 34
I've a DV336 pair with my K702 which I think is somewhat similar with the K701. A very happy man since this is my first tube amp.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 34
I wote for Yamamoto HA-2 - excellent tube Headphone amp that will serve you for a very long time - even if you once decide to upgrade your phones.

Otherwise, look at the Musical Fidelity offerings. X-Can V8 is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back