Tube Amp for Home-based HD600 Setup
Jan 4, 2004 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leftistelf

Head-Fier
Hi folks...new to the forum, but not new to headphones. I have a pair of HD600s and currently have a total airhead for travel purposes. Now I want something for home...

I want a headphone tube amp to connect to my current preamplifier (Thor TA-2000) through the Thor's second outputs (RCA). This would allow me to listen to my main rig (and its volume control) while utilizing my amazing preamp, but without rewiring my system for headphone use.

My budget is about $700. I'd spend a bit more, but would prefer to spend less. Used or new...

Jan 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 11
why would you want to connect them both in chain? other people spend a lot of money to get rid of the one nececcary pot in the signal chain, you want two of them? Most headphone amps i know, even all of them, work on line level signals, unless you need a phono stage you should connect the amp directly to your source and go for a passive switch.

Jan 4, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by leftistelf
Hi folks...new to the forum, but not new to headphones. I have a pair of HD600s and currently have a total airhead for travel purposes. Now I want something for home...

I want a headphone tube amp to connect to my current preamplifier (Thor TA-2000) through the Thor's second outputs (RCA). This would allow me to listen to my main rig (and its volume control) while utilizing my amazing preamp, but without rewiring my system for headphone use.

My budget is about $700. I'd spend a bit more, but would prefer to spend less. Used or new...

With a preamp like the Thor, rather than use a separate headphone amp, you might want to use an interface such as the ASL Reference Tools.

http://www.divertech.com/aqreferencetools.html

This should allow you to connect a headphone to the output of your preamp directly.

Jan 5, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 11
I don't want two pots in the path - I want only one, and I want it to be the one on my $11k preamp, not a $500 headphone amp. Any idea what amps might not have volume control?

Jan 5, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 11
The Krell KSA 5 came without a volume control, but is no longer manufactured, and very hard to find.

This thread talked about it.

Edit: NEVER MIND ... just reread thread title, and realized you were asking about TUBE amps - obviously the krell is SS and does not meet your criteria - sorry

Jan 5, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by leftistelf
I don't want two pots in the path - I want only one, and I want it to be the one on my $11k preamp, not a $500 headphone amp. Any idea what amps might not have volume control?

Leftistelf:
That's not a second pot on the ASL impedance matching device pointed out by Hirsch. It's a rotary switch for setting the gain to one a few choices that correspond to different source voltages.

The pot on your uber-preamp would be the only one in the circuit.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back