Tube amp for HD 600?
Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #17 of 24
I really like the Woo Audio WA3, but it is considered the most "tubey" sounding of the Woo amps, and I want a lively sound. The other Woo amps are all too expensive. :frowning2:

I could get a Crack, but I would have to get them to build it for $150, and I wouldn't be able to get the Speedball upgrade. I don't know if that is a good deal or not, versus other amps in that price range.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 24
Oh? I always believed mine sounded far more neutral than the WA2, WA22, and WA6. The right tubes can give you a super tubey sound or even a very clinical sound. If you want neutrality, try some JAN 6992 tubes and a Sylvania 7236. That tube combination has a pretty neutral sound. It also adds the the more "lively" aspect you were looking for with fast dynamics and tight, impactful bass.

Quote:
I really like the Woo Audio WA3, but it is considered the most "tubey" sounding of the Woo amps, and I want a lively sound. The other Woo amps are all too expensive. :frowning2:

I could get a Crack, but I would have to get them to build it for $150, and I wouldn't be able to get the Speedball upgrade. I don't know if that is a good deal or not, versus other amps in that price range.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
Oh? I always believed mine sounded far more neutral than the WA2, WA22, and WA6. The right tubes can give you a super tubey sound or even a very clinical sound. If you want neutrality, try some JAN 6992 tubes and a Sylvania 7A36. That tube combination has a pretty neutral sound. It also adds the the more "lively" aspect you were looking for with fast dynamics and tight, impactful bass.

Very helpful information! Thank you!

Is "mine" the Crack, or the WA3?

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #20 of 24
Does anyone else have any recommendations? I have been looking at Skylab's ranking of the 32 tube amps, and I am really curious about why the Woo Audio WA6 made it so much higher up on the list, than the WA3. I didn't figure that there was that much difference between the two, for only $100.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Does anyone else have any recommendations? I have been looking at Skylab's ranking of the 32 tube amps, and I am really curious about why the Woo Audio WA6 made it so much higher up on the list, than the WA3. I didn't figure that there was that much difference between the two, for only $100.

What tubes did he have in the WA6? If it was the Sofia rectifier, then that could explain partially why. Also, the WA6 is just...better.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
What tubes did he have in the WA6? If it was the Sofia rectifier, then that could explain partially why. Also, the WA6 is just...better.

I really don't know. I guess that I could try to go for the WA6, but I don't see how it could be much better, for only around $100.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #23 of 24
the 6 has an output tranny and the 3 is OTL (output transformer less). i've got a 3 and its hard to describe the sound.  its just a really rich pleasing sound.  very musical i guess.  never sterile. and i think that is more typical of OTL tube amps than output tranny coupled.  not to say the others sound bad.  i think the musicality of the otl is at the expense of the dynamics of an output tranny coupled amp.  i could be wrong though
i believe the 6 with the sophia rectifier tube is about 250$ more.

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
I really don't know. I guess that I could try to go for the WA6, but I don't see how it could be much better, for only around $100.

From what I have heard, the WA6 is a lot better. Not as warm as the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back