Tube amp and DT 990 mide
Oct 17, 2010 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

himj82

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I recently got DT 990  2005 edition as an upgrade from my DT 440. I really like the phones except for the recessed mids compared to DT 440. It is very obvious in bass heavy tracks when the lower mids are completely overshadowed.  This is particularly bad on increasing volume as I can feel them bottom out on some tracks.

The DT 440s do not have the bass or soundstage of the 990s, but their mid-range is a lot more forward and fuller, particularly as the volume is increased.  I am currently driving the DT 990s from the udac. Will using a tube amp significantly help with bringing the mids more forward for the DT990s. I really like them as is for movies and games, but do not like the tonality for music.

I wanted to get some advise this before I decide to spend a significant amount of money on a tube amp. Maybe buying the AD900s or AKG 701s is the way to go to get richer mids, but those phones seem to lack in the bass response from what I have read.

Sorry for the long first post lol.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 2
We all love tube amps but the newer 990's have a bit of a smiley-face sound signature, and the amp won't change the overall tonal balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back