TTVJ Portable Millett - ringing issue?
Dec 27, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 38
What is the output section?

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps Herbies Halo Tube dampers:

Herbie's Audio Lab: Tube Dampers

LOL, those are the coolest tube dampers I have ever seen. I'm sure they work too. I've seen inter-connect/speaker wire cables raisers and Mod Squad tip toes. So far, I have not seen tiny tip toes for portable headphone amps yet.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 38
I used to take plumbers teflon tape, spin it into a string and wrap that around the tube. I works and cost next to nothing. Teflon, heat no problem, need more dampening, more raps and snugger.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to take plumbers teflon tape, spin it into a string and wrap that around the tube. I works and cost next to nothing. Teflon, heat no problem, need more dampening, more raps and snugger.

That's innovative and inexpensive.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 38
I really like the TTVJ portable Millett hybrid, and have turned down more than a couple of offers to buy mine. Skylab ranked it in 7th place in April, mostly due to the tube ring of bumped. But, it only rings when flicked fairly strongly, an edge is lifted and dropped, or you plug something into it.

There were only about 360 tubes available for it, so they were limited to 200 amps, to keep spares for the future, although they theoretically should last the life of the amp. This summer only 38 of them remained to be sold, and I know one guy who bought two of those, so he'd have a spare just in case.

It's good for classical, jazz, new age, electronica, rock, acoustic, etc. But, it is not the best choice for highly sensitive IEM, due to the tube rush ("swirly noise") and high gain. Klipsch Image X10 actually did pretty well from it, but not recommended for SE530, TF10Pro, Westone 3, etc...

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 38
I've commissioned my TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp as the primary amp in my Bedside Rig (now using my ALO-Modded SR225's). In this rig I often AM overwhelmed by what I hear. I originally bought it for my work rig to use with PK1's. For that rig, I prefer the RSA SR-71A. But in my present Bedside Rig with Grados, I am SO loving the TTVJ Portable Millett. Since I don't use it on-the-go or change connections to it when it is on, I don't ever hear the high, sweet tube-song that the rest of you have been discussing. My phone preference with this amp is: Grado SR225 > Senn HD650 > Senn HD600. It's a perfect bedside amp: instant-on (less than 5 minutes use to optimal sound once it's fully burned in), stays cool so it's safe to be in reach where I sleep, sounds aMAZing with a favorite phone for playing nighttime lullabies to myself (Margaret Far's "Sing Me To Sleep" from her CD "DayTrip" is an abiding favorite in this rotation).

In answer to a question put out previously, the tubes in my TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp are the Raytheon CK534AX. Since mine is one of the earliest ones sold, I can't say whether Pete Millett has switched to using another tube since then. That's probably unlikely since, when he introduced this amp, he responded to questions about tube-rolling by saying that he'd designed the circuit around this tube, that there aren't many other compatible tubes, and none of those would likely sound as good. But I have no specific knowledge of what tubes are installed in anyone else's amp. When I bought the amp and decided that it is a long-term keeper, I opened the case, read the tube label, and then found and purchased a small supply of those tubes for the day when a tube swap (as in desolder-resolder) is needed. They were about $10 each.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #22 of 38
In the review I did in the loaner thread, I found the TTVJ was particularly synergetic with Grados. If I recall correctly, Todd bought all the tubes that Mikhail (single power) had on hand for the portable Millett, which is where I got the 360 tubes number (or was it 380, don't recall) and it might have been 360 full sets (pairs), not 360 tubes.

The TTVJ rotates in my bedside rig with my Meier Headfive, Headroom Micro Amp and Travagans Red.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #23 of 38
Larry's portable Millet Hybrid is my favorite portable amp I've yet heard. Its synergy with Grados is undeniable, and that rig alone could keep me happy for pretty much ever.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #25 of 38
Larry & sbulack: can you comment on the SR-71A v. TTVJ Portable Millett - in terms of synergy - to use with iMod and ESW10jpn? Thanks.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard the SR-71 or 71a, but the TTVJ, iMod and ESW10 work very well together.

Larry, I am out on a trip/vacation and upon my return I will be sending Skylab a couple of portable amps. I can have him send mine to you after his review. We will discuss this further.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry & sbulack: can you comment on the SR-71A v. TTVJ Portable Millett - in terms of synergy - to use with iMod and ESW10jpn? Thanks.

I've never had the opportunity to listen using the ESW10, so I can't comment on the synergy of any amp or source with it.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, I am out on a trip/vacation and upon my return I will be sending Skylab a couple of portable amps. I can have him send mine to you after his review. We will discuss this further.

Okay. He could probably fit it in the box with the D2 Boa and Nuforce Icon Mobile when he returns them, since the D3 is going on to Casey at Nuforce for an audition and it wont be in the same box upon return.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #30 of 38
So now would this amp be a suitable one to use transportably with an iMod and grado/etymotic IEMs and also be able to hold it's own as a desktop amp hooked up to a dedicated DAC from my optical out?

I am really intrigued by the tube idea and this amp seems to fit the bill.

How is the "ringing" when you have it in a coat or shorts pocket and walk around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back