TTVJ Portable Millett - ringing issue?
Dec 26, 2008 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

ghostmusic

100+ Head-Fier
I'm very keen on trying this amp, but I've read in the Tone Audio review that the amp "rings" on certain hard surfaces... I've read that the tubes "ping" by another user. Has this issue been resolved now, and is confined to early production models only? Or is this something that you'll have to live with?

I'd also appreciate your feedback on how it fares against the competition, musically speaking... thanks...

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 38
The pinging is something you have to live with. It only occurs when you lay the amp on a hard surface or when you plug the headphone/source and the amp is on.

The sound reminds me of an small, dark, and smokey jazz club. For jazz it is a very nice amp IMO. Battery life is pretty good at about 50-60. Good luck.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 38
Thanks, marroyo... 'small dark and smokey jazz club' is a very attractive analogy, but I'm thinking with large-scale classical or some classic rock stuff, it won't do? Would love your feedback on such genres, since that's the kind of stuff I listen to a lot... right now, I'm thinking about either the TTVJ Portable Millett or SR71A...

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 38
The tubes are just sensitive and don't care much for being jostled about. If it gets to be a real problem you could always wrap the amp in a leather case for more isolation.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might this work?

The portable Millett uses sub-mini tubes, and they're partially affixed to the pcb. I suppose if it was a serious issue you could open it up and put some blu-tak on the tubes to help dampen them.

Either way, this is not something that will ever be "fixed". Tubes are microphonic to varying degrees. There is only the one variety of tubes for the portamillet, and they can be microphonic. I don't imagine it would be much of a problem for most people, but if it is for you you can address it through DIY, or look to a solid state portable amp.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 38
Regardless or not, the amp rings when placed on a hard surface.

I would not take Tone Audio as a reference for anything.

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The portable Millett uses sub-mini tubes, and they're partially affixed to the pcb. I suppose if it was a serious issue you could open it up and put some blu-tak on the tubes to help dampen them.

Either way, this is not something that will ever be "fixed". Tubes are microphonic to varying degrees. There is only the one variety of tubes for the portamillet, and they can be microphonic. I don't imagine it would be much of a problem for most people, but if it is for you you can address it through DIY, or look to a solid state portable amp.

Ok. Some people have put inexpensive silicone o-rings, two or three per tube, to attenuate tube microphony.

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Ok. Some people have put inexpensive silicone o-rings, two or three per tube, to attenuate tube microphony.

I didn't mean my post as a dig against you. I'll just point out that the link you attached doesn't make any silicon rings for a 5-pin subminiature tube that I can find. Even if they did, it would be tough to fit rings on this:

469155190_7ab092f3ac.jpg

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 38
Is the Portable Millet still being made? I love tubes but from reviews I was never totally impressed. Yes we should judge with our own ears but I never saw anyone really overwhelmed with it.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 38
ghostmusic, I hardly ever listen to rock anymore so I can not help there. I will do well IMO w/ classical and new age music. If you are looking for an SS portable amp I would suggest:

1. Original SR71
2. Reference
3. MiniBox-E+
4. Portaphile V2^2

jamato8, the TTVJ Millet Portable Amp is indeed a lovely amp. Perhaps if I had not been hasty I should have kept it. In my case it is more of a transportable amp than a true transportable so once I set it on my desk at the office it does not get moved. Thus no pinging. :)

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 38
When I tried the amp at the 2007 Head-Fest National Meet, there was an issue with a swirling noise (sort of like a ham radio or am drift) when using low impedance headphones such as IEM's. Otherwise I would have bought it on the spot because it sounded great.
I assume that that problem has been addressed by Pete M. and is no longer an issue.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Sherwood, those are really small vacuum tubes. What kind of tubes are they and who makes them? Do they supply the power or are just used as pre-stage, i.e., a hybrid design?

They are definitely small. I read somewhere who makes them, but i can't seem to find it again. Suffice it to say, tube rolling is not possible, as almost all the known stock is owned by TTVJ. The getter is also wired up, IIRC, which is uncommon.

Like all of Pete's designs save the $6,000 home amp Todd sells, the tubes are only used for a gain stage. It is still a solid state output, but it's awfully nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back