Trying to switch from blade razor to electric, but feeling the burn.
Jun 9, 2003 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
So I picked up a Norelco Advantage razor (the one that dispenses lotion) to give electric another try. My only previous experience was in high school with a Braun shaver I’d gotten for X-Mas. With the Braun, I had a big issue with razor burn and soon stopped using it in favor of a regular razor.

I decided to give electric the benefit of the doubt again. The instructions say to give it 21 days for the face to get used to the electric razor and that irritation is normal at first.

Well… I’m on day 2 and I’m not having an irritation issue like with the Braun in high school on my face, but this new Norelco still gives my lower neck razor burn – looks like a rash.

I can stick with it and hope my skin “gets used to it,” or I can return the Norelco after the 21 days for a refund, or I can quit now and avoid the irritation.

Have any of the guys here tried to switch from a blade razor to an electric?

Experiences?

I like the speed of an electric because it seems cool. Both of my grandfathers used electric with no issues, however my dad uses a blade. Are electric razors for old people? Or can 20 somethings use them too?

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 48
i tried the one with the lotion, i found that it gives me more razor burn then the normal one. i dont use the lotion one anymore, as it broke after 2 months. but in the time i used it, the burn went away after about a month.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 48
I had the same problem when I went from razor to electric, both with a Braun and Norelco. Both times I got used to it within a week or so, and after that it didn't bother me again.

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
everytime I tried my face looks like raw hamburger meat
redface.gif

That's my lower neck the last two days. :|

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 48
Usually, the only time I get razor burn is from shaving too hard, or on the same spot too much or for too long. That might be your problem. Try shaving more lightly.

BTW, don't use Remington. It may be the most expensive, but it gives me 10x more razor burn than any other brand.

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 48
i still believe in cheap disposable razors. i usually use em twice and throw em out. i should probably shave at least every other day but i get lazy and stretch it out to 3 or 4 so i don't go through razors that quickly. when i used to shave my legs though, that got nuts how many razors i'd go through.

recently my neighbor convinced me to stop using shaving cream and just shave after showers. i was amazed. works great. no burn.

oh yeah, how much time does it save really? it can't take me more than a couple minutes. i always wanted to get one of those cutthroat razors and learn how to shave with that. but anyways... good luck getting acclimated.

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose

recently my neighbor convinced me to stop using shaving cream and just shave after showers. i was amazed. works great. no burn. but anyways... good luck getting acclimated.

Me also. Seems to work.

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i should probably shave at least every other day but i get lazy and stretch it out to 3 or 4 so i don't go through razors that quickly.

You can go for a couple days without shaving without looking like a bum? Lucky you. About 10 hours after shaving, I have to shave again or I look like a homeless person. This means that after work, I usually shave again before going out for dinner or whatever.

Jun 9, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 48
nah, it just makes us look rugged.
cool.gif
used to bug my ex though when we were sleeping cause it'd irritate her back. but since i was alleviated of that whole mess and then discovered this place i don't know if that'll be a problem for me anytime soon.

Jun 9, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 48
I agree with shaving after showers. But not immediately. Maybe about 10 minutes after.

Jun 9, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 48
My routine is to apply a small amount of powder to my face, followed by using the electric razor. Powder allows graceful sliding over the skin. No irritation here.

If I am going someplace special (ie. where there will be women
very_evil_smiley.gif
), or have an important day at work, I also use a Gillette Mach3 razor in the shower afterward - gets me smooth as a babies bottom! By using the two-step approach, I don't get any irritation at all.

Jun 9, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 48
Zol, I aways wanted to use an electric (convenience) but my dermatologist told me to stick to a razor, because a razor is easier on and better for your skin. So I never made the switch. Go back to manual scraping!

Jun 10, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 48
I started with razors, went to electric for a while and just could't get used to it. It always left some stubble, and I got bad burns, even with the Norelco shaver with the lotion. I use Gillette Mach IIIs now with Aveeno shave cream...no stubble, no irritation, very close shave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back