Trying to isolate a noise
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CodeToad

100+ Head-Fier
Setup: Audigy 2 ZS > the stock Little Dot mini to rca cable > Little Dot MK III > HD650

When I plug the 650 into the sound card directly I get no noise when I turn up the volume with nothing playing.

When I plug the 650's into the MK III and disconnect the source cable I get no noise.

When I connect 650's into MK III and the MK III into the sound card with nothing playing....when I turn up the volume knob on the MK III (with the volume all the way up or down in the computer side...no difference) I get what sounds like interference (fan or electric motor noise).

What do I need to do to get rid of the noise?

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Without having actually having used your particular setup, I would suspect you are getting some noise from the computer - fan or other compenent. Do you have another component - like a cd palyer or turntable - you could test with the MKIII? This would help you identify if the problem is with interferece with your computer or another anomaly.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 6
It sounds like fan noise to me...like motor. Would a shielded cable help?

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Ah. Plugged in my portable and laid it behind the puter...no noise...ground loop problem?

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Went to Walmart and picked up a 3 pack of SooperLoop Isolators with pure Rhodium tangs and nano-cryo intertransports and super ferrite triple dieletric shielding for a buck fifty. That fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back