Trying to hear the difference between 320 mp3 vs flac (16/24-bit, 44.1/88.2)
Oct 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #61 of 75
Maybe it was the songs i listened or the headphones i have, but i didn't care that mucho about the changes. Y es, flac was more open and clear than the others, and yes, 128 distorts songs, but people should not expect the kinz of difference you get with a new pair of headphones

I've actually found replacing old 128, 160, and 192KBps songs with 320 or FLAC to be the easiest upgrade in sound quality.

Also, something I've noticed, is that some sound tests people actually end up preferring lower quality files, as it seems to remove some slight details that can be perceived as unwanted. Extra noise and harshness people may think is being introduced by a low quality mp3, is actually on the original recording, and the higher quality mp3 doesn't mask it.

People seem to like the sound of that comes from loss of details and distortion, just look at tube amps or "warm" and "smooth" gear. So asking "what sounds better" isn't really the question that should asked.

The real question that should be asked, is "what sounds truest to the original recording?"

Also, I feel the ABX test on here is flawed, instead of FLAC being a 3rd unknown, the FLAC file should be the reference, and the 128 and 320 file should be blind tested to see which one is closer to the lossless reference file.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #62 of 75
I've actually found replacing old 128, 160, and 192KBps songs with 320 or FLAC to be the easiest upgrade in sound quality.

Also, something I've noticed, is that some sound tests people actually end up preferring lower quality files, as it seems to remove some slight details that can be perceived as unwanted. Extra noise and harshness people may think is being introduced by a low quality mp3, is actually on the original recording, and the higher quality mp3 doesn't mask it.

People seem to like the sound of that comes from loss of details and distortion, just look at tube amps or "warm" and "smooth" gear. So asking "what sounds better" isn't really the question that should asked.

The real question that should be asked, is "what sounds truest to the original recording?"

Also, I feel the ABX test on here is flawed, instead of FLAC being a 3rd unknown, the FLAC file should be the reference, and the 128 and 320 file should be blind tested to see which one is closer to the lossless reference file.

Would you rec me a good abx test?

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #63 of 75
  You are saying the difference between 128. 320, and FLAC is small? 128kbps sounds like pure trash. Instantly noticeable in almost any complex song. Between flac and 320, The difference is small to none depending on the song and equipment used.

Depending of the music , and also the encoder used ....   Lame encoder, is almost  the "reference" today. 
Yeah 128 kps is not that bad, although I prefer to stick to a minimum of 192 kps. And actually I only use VBR now (when I need it).
I think people won't notice difference  with some soppy smooth jazz at 128 kps .....

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #64 of 75
  Lossy audio isn't supposed to sound noticeably different at such high bitrates, even with the best gear dare I say. There might be some instances where you can hear a difference (see julian67's post), but generally, it's supposed to be transparent. People who say they can easily hear a difference are probably suffering from the placebo effect. Double blind tests are necessary. You said the lossy MP3 had attenuated highs, but are you sure you're not imagining it?

I haven't found this to be the case but best kit is so relative. I recently heard a low required current, low noise Luman linux music only setup with an SSD, linear or battery supply into a Berkeley Alpha usb adapter and some top DACs using a preferred bit perfect player program. I know the DACs and suspect the Alpha is quite good so I'm assuming the linux PC was so limiting that it would make your assumptions correct. Prefered downsampled redbook on a streaming home audio setup to HiDef on this. System was built by a physics prof with help from his audiophile prof friends that can write code if needed. 

It's no surprise to me that opinions can be this varied when using PCs as source.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #65 of 75

There is one on this forum. Though it is the 3-way blind one I spoke of which I feel is flawed.

I would create one, though I am not sure how to go about hosting it, converting files so they appear the same size.

I would have three test clips. Ideally music recorded well, with low drum kicks, as well as many high notes like cymbals/crashes/horns. The music should also be fast and fairly layered. This will help draw out an loss of sound quality from compression.

Then the FLAC sample will be the reference, or control sample. With the 128kbps and 320kbps samples being tested blind.

I feel this will yield truly accurate information on whether or not there is actually a difference between bit rates. As the idea that is being questioned is "is there a difference between bit rates"?, but the question that is being asked with current tests is "which do you think sounds better?"

So the wrong question is being asked, as many people prefer coloured (distorted) sound, therefor, some people may prefer the sound of lower bitrates.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #66 of 75

ABX tests compare only two things at a time, so you need to conduct two sets of ABX tests: 128 vs FLAC and 320 vs FLAC.

Follow this guide.

...Or are you asking about which source material to use?

Depending of the music , and also the encoder used ....   Lame encoder, is almost  the "reference" today. 
Yeah 128 kps is not that bad, although I prefer to stick to a minimum of 192 kps. And actually I only use VBR now (when I need it).
I think people won't notice difference  with some soppy smooth jazz at 128 kps .....

AAC is the successor to MP3 and is a superior format. I would not use the word "reference" in reference (*chuckle*) to MP3. (...Then again, the context of this thread is MP3. Just sayin'.)

I had someone create a custom command-line encoder for me to use tVBR QuickTime AAC with dBpoweramp.

FWIW, before I explained to someone that it's impossible to hear the difference between lossless 16-bit files converted from 24-bit, he told me this:

I can play a 88Khz audio files on my home system and I have used the dBpoweramp to down convert with to 256-355kbps range, and both my wife and I can absolutely hear a difference.  The sound stage falls apart, the resonance in the voice is gone, the overall imaging diminishes and the instruments lose their positions and it all sounds mushed together.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #67 of 75
I don't think you understand the testing I am talking about.

The test is to use FLAC as a reference, a known control sample, and then two blind samples, one 128, one 320.

The goal of the test would be to pick the blind sample that is the closest match to the known reference FLAC sample.

While not technically strictly an ABX test, it would be a variation that would be better suited to discerning differences between 128 and 320.

This would be a better test, as it asks the question of "which sounds closest to a known lossless reference?" rather than asking "which do you prefer?"

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #68 of 75

The test is to use FLAC as a reference, a known control sample, and then two blind samples, one 128, one 320.

The goal of the test would be to pick the blind sample that is the closest match to the known reference FLAC sample.

While not technically strictly an ABX test, it would be a variation that would be better suited to discerning differences between 128 and 320.

This would be a better test, as it asks the question of "which sounds closest to a known lossless reference?" rather than asking "which do you prefer?"

Yes, that is a different type of test, so it's not an ABX. However, an ABX should be used to see if one can distinguish between 320 (or 128) and FLAC in the first place. Then again, assuming that there is an audible difference between 128 and 320, it's only natural that 320 is closer.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #69 of 75
The current tests for ABX on here though ask which people prefer. Some people may prefer lower bitrate recording if it "smooths" out the sound. Just like how many people prefer coloured sounding gear and phones.

So when you pose it as an ABX and ask which do people think sounds better, you may have more people choosing 128kbps since they prefer the colouration that the lower bitrate adds.

What people are actually trying to figure out though is if there is a difference between 128, 320, and the lossless. So the comparison needs to be the 128 and 320 directly against a lossless file.

That is why a reference lossless file must be used as a comparison point, and the question needs to be, which of these compressed files sounds closest to the lossless file.

That is the only proper way to tell if there is an actual difference, since you are asking people to draw a comparison to a known value. When you only ask what sounds better across 3 unknown files, you are asking people what they prefer.

The flaw in the current testing is the assumption that people will prefer a file which is the closest to the source material. An assumption which is likely incorrect, as many people prefer non-neutral gear.

My method would remove this assumption, and would better control the variables.

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #70 of 75
GUYS, important question and something i thought about today . Is the music in spotify 128kbs? listen to this song on youtube (192kbs AAC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1032cn2DmQc

and listen to it on spotify. In youtube its louder and bass souns fuller, with voices sounding better. Does this mean spotify uses 128kbs?

Altough, i found something interesting. At first the youtube one sounded better, but then it became ear piercing. the spotify one is very quiet but still doesn´t sound as "detailed"

Thoughts?

Update: HOLY MOLY. i downloaded this song on flac and i have to rethink some stuff. The record DOES make the difference. I heard the song in flac and the drums became both detailed and powerful. Suddenly, everything became open and airy. It was truly awesome. To anyone who wants to check if there is a difference, listen to this track on FLAC and on 128kbs. You will be surprised. I conclude, for now, that the bitrate or file DOES matter, but it depends on the track. My recommendation? listen to everything in FLAC first, compare it to 320kbs/256kbs and decide if there is really a difference

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #71 of 75

There is one on this forum. Though it is the 3-way blind one I spoke of which I feel is flawed.

I would create one, though I am not sure how to go about hosting it, converting files so they appear the same size.

I would have three test clips. Ideally music recorded well, with low drum kicks, as well as many high notes like cymbals/crashes/horns. The music should also be fast and fairly layered. This will help draw out an loss of sound quality from compression.

Then the FLAC sample will be the reference, or control sample. With the 128kbps and 320kbps samples being tested blind.

I feel this will yield truly accurate information on whether or not there is actually a difference between bit rates. As the idea that is being questioned is "is there a difference between bit rates"?, but the question that is being asked with current tests is "which do you think sounds better?"

So the wrong question is being asked, as many people prefer coloured (distorted) sound, therefor, some people may prefer the sound of lower bitrates.

The current tests for ABX on here though ask which people prefer. Some people may prefer lower bitrate recording if it "smooths" out the sound. Just like how many people prefer coloured sounding gear and phones.

So when you pose it as an ABX and ask which do people think sounds better, you may have more people choosing 128kbps since they prefer the colouration that the lower bitrate adds.

What people are actually trying to figure out though is if there is a difference between 128, 320, and the lossless. So the comparison needs to be the 128 and 320 directly against a lossless file.

That is why a reference lossless file must be used as a comparison point, and the question needs to be, which of these compressed files sounds closest to the lossless file.

That is the only proper way to tell if there is an actual difference, since you are asking people to draw a comparison to a known value. When you only ask what sounds better across 3 unknown files, you are asking people what they prefer.

The flaw in the current testing is the assumption that people will prefer a file which is the closest to the source material. An assumption which is likely incorrect, as many people prefer non-neutral gear.

My method would remove this assumption, and would better control the variables.

Have you ever done an ABX test? It would appear that you haven't.

From Wikipedia:

An ABX test is a method of comparing two choices of sensory stimuli to identify detectable differences between them. A subject is presented with two known samples (sample A, the first reference, and sample B, the second reference) followed by one unknown sample X that is randomly selected from either A or B. The subject is then required to identify X as either A or B. If X cannot be identified reliably with a low p-value in a predetermined number of trials, then the null hypothesis cannot be rejected and it cannot be proven that there is a perceptible difference between A and B.

ABX tests can easily be performed as double-blind trials, eliminating any possible unconscious influence from the researcher or the test supervisor. Because samples A and B are provided just prior to sample X, the difference does not have to be discerned from assumption based on long-term memory or past experience. Thus, the ABX test answers whether or not, under ideal circumstances, a perceptual difference can be found.

The purpose of ABX tests is to determine if you can distinguish between two sound samples with statistical significance, that is all.

There is no "third unknown" in the sense that you are implying, and which one you prefer has nothing to do with it. You already know that (for example) A is FLAC and B is MP3. The only unknown variable is X, which is either A or B played randomly. You can press the buttons and listen to known and unknown samples as much as you like.

In addition, you should have already listened to the samples beforehand in order to familiarize yourself with any perceived differences. (Testing out those perceptions is the only reason you would be taking the ABX test in the first place.) If the lossy file sounds more smooth and pleasant, this distinction should have been identified prior to the experiment, reducing the chances of mistaking the smoother sound of the lossy file as the lossless file. Doesn't matter anyway, because, like I mentioned, A and B are the known variables. During the test, you know whether A or B is playing, since you select it yourself; you just don't know whether X is A or B each time X is played.

If you would like to do your own ABX test, I suggest reading the instructions in the guide that I have repeatedly linked to.

As for your variation, what you are proposing is similar to a duo-trio AXY test:

AXY – one known, two unknown (one equals A, other equals B), test is which unknown is the known: X = A (and Y = B), or Y = A (and X = B).

...Except you're not testing which unknown is the known, but instead testing which unknown is closer to the known.

The benchmark of any scientific experiment is to have one control and test one variable at a time, not two. You're not controlling the variables; you're just introducing new ones.

If you insist upon comparing both 128 and 320 to FLAC, you need to conduct two sets of ABX tests like I suggested...if you want to do it right, that is.

It's a moot point, in the end. If there is an audible difference between 128 kbps and 320 kbps MP3 (which can be verified in its own ABX), it's obvious that the latter will sound closer to lossless. Your method is misguided and unnecessary.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #72 of 75
HOLY MOLY. i downloaded this song on flac and i have to rethink some stuff. The record DOES make the difference. I heard the song in flac and the drums became both detailed and powerful. Suddenly, everything became open and airy. It was truly awesome. To anyone who wants to check if there is a difference, listen to this track on FLAC and on 128kbs. You will be surprised. I conclude, for now, that the bitrate or file DOES matter, but it depends on the track. My recommendation? listen to everything in FLAC first, compare it to 320kbs/256kbs and decide if there is really a difference

The first thing you need to do when comparing bit rates is to ensure you aren't comparing two different masters of the recording, which is often the case when listening to or downloading from different online sources.

So just convert the FLAC file to whatever lossy format you need, then compare.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #73 of 75
Music Alchemist, I've already said my proposed testing isn't an actual ABX testing. You seem to be so obsessed with the term ABX to realize there is other, often more accurate testing methods. You seem to act as if the ABX is the end all be all of testing.

If you took 15 seconds to actually think about what is being said to you, maybe you would understand it.

Keep going though. Maybe you should read that massive wall of text you quoted.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #74 of 75
  Music Alchemist, I've already said my proposed testing isn't an actual ABX testing. You seem to be so obsessed with the term ABX to realize there is other, often more accurate testing methods. You seem to act as if the ABX is the end all be all of testing.

If you took 15 seconds to actually think about what is being said to you, maybe you would understand it.

Keep going though. Maybe you should read that massive wall of text you quoted.

I urge you to review your past statements and read my response again.

While you are correct about the need to compare each lossy file to the lossless file, you made incorrect claims about ABX, which is the reason I elaborated.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #75 of 75
  AAC is the successor to MP3 and is a superior format. I would not use the word "reference" in reference (*chuckle*) to MP3. (...Then again, the context of this thread is MP3. Just sayin'.)

AAC shows some superiority only for low bitrates.  At the bitrate people usually use (above 128 kps), mp3 is as good , and has the big advantage to be compatible with most hardware.
I also just want to pointed out, that there are different mp3 encoders; and regarding mp3 compression at least, Lame is considered as a reference .

If you want to perform a proper blind test, there's a faq at hydrogenaudio :
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=16295

It's a bit a a pain in the b** to read it plainly, but some easy , not so obvious rules:
- Hide the results while you are performing the tests.
- Off course, you can begin by showing results, to see if it works, but don't consider it as the final "validated" test.
- Decide in advance the number of trials.

Off course I recommend the ABX comparator component for foobar to perform the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back