Trying to hear the difference between 320 mp3 vs flac (16/24-bit, 44.1/88.2)
Jun 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #46 of 75
Quote:
The recording matters as well when trying to distinguish between mp3/flac and different bitrates/sampling rates.  E.g., I can't tell the difference between 128kbps bit rate and FLAC on Dream Theater's Images and Words, but I could easily tell the difference between NIN's The Slip in 320kbps mp3 and 24 bit 96khz FLAC.  You can download The Slip for free online in different qualities.  I usually can't tell the difference between 224kbps VBR and FLAC though.

that's what PeterBj from Sound Liaison is saying too,the source recording is SO important.

And Julian67 go check out those Sound Liaison recordings,you can listen to them on their site.They are truly remarkable recordings maybe the best
in my audiophile collection.
here is the link.http://www.soundliaison.com/

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #47 of 75
...Julian67 go check out those Sound Liaison recordings,you can listen to them on their site.They are truly .....

I've already visited the site and listened a couple of days ago. I'm not sure how listening to the label's 24/96 content is supposed to be useful in discerning a difference between lossless and mp3 (already demonstrated on page 1 btw), which is what this thread was about before it became a boring advertisment for sound liason.

How about you do something? Do what extrabigmehdi and I both did and perform a credible listening test and then comment on the basis of that. Whatever the result it would at least be something relevant to the subject at hand.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #48 of 75
I am an average guy and I can tell a difference between flac / mp3...Not always flac sounds better may I say...Depends on how qualitative it is made...I got lossy jumping mp3 file of Camille Jones - Someday and it is gooooooood Sounding! And yet I have flac files that I doubt the quality of...

So yeah depends on the audio file itself and the equipment your using...

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #49 of 75
I did perform  listening tests,and on well recorded material I do find that there is a difference.
Just now I have been comparing wav to 320mp3,using, just for the fun of it. a SOUND LIAISON wav file [he,he,].
And it is the same as with the other tests I did,after awhile I hear that the stereo image gets less wide,and that the reverb (echo) sounds a little bit more harsh,and that there is less depth with the 320mp3.
But Julian why do you so quickly in your responses lose your top?
Lets talk nice or go join the Good Sound club forum,they lose their top in that forum in an instant.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #51 of 75
As silly as I am but hearing difference between lossy and lossless is like comparing oranges to apples, both are fruit, but they are different.

lossy means you lose a lot of the dynamics of the sound, for example the clearest of differences is the muddiness. Almost no instrument separation, you can also tell more of a difference as you go down the kbps (Take youtube for example) there are some tracks that are not all that great and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference but if you take dynamic music (Not pop), I'm talking about Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal (Prog works best) you will not only swear you can hear the difference but even if you do an ABX test, you will definitely pass it on all 100% - Unless you're deaf.

Muddiness is like, well go listen to a real acoustic instrument, then come back and hear that same instrument in a lossy format :) Try to attend some more concerts and concentrate on the sound, how natural it sounds.

Regarding todays onboard sound cards well they really are not all that bad as some people swear that they must be banned, they work well, just not for uhm, audiophile purposes (The need for perfection)

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #53 of 75
I would like to participate on this thread. I didnt made a blind taste, but i made something similar
Source: Nexus 5
Headphones: adh700
Now there is the thing. I made a a/b comparison between 190 and 320, and believe it or not, i heard a difference. It is not a big difference, but its there. I felt that the 320 was more "alive". There were some tracks where The difference was minimal, but there were others where The difference was pretty spotable. For example, i compares sun araw - horse steppin un youtube quality vs 320 and i felt that The difference, While minimal, was there, i felt that The sound was bigger, clearer, and The soundstage was a had better, but The difference was so small i didn't pay attention to it. Now, when i compared crystals by M.O.O.N, i could easily differenciate them. I haven't made the blind test but in my opinion, there IS a difference, but it isn't as important as some say. Though i will still hear music in 320, i understand why most people can't hear The difference. About FLAC, i havent heard it yet but i judgibg by The file size, i think there might be a difference

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #55 of 75
  Underestimating the power of placebo is a common mistake. Either you perform the blind test properly, or you might just be misled.

Funny thing, i made a blind test today and im even more comfortable with my response

FLAC, 320 and 128 do have a difference, but man, its so small

i did this test http://www.head-fi.org/t/646411/lossless-vs-128kbps-mp3-vs-320kbps-mp3-blind-test

and i guessed group 1 perfectly, its the easiest group, and semi guessed 3, i spotted the 128 track but exchanged the lossless and 320 track. i didnt try group 2 because i sneak peeked, so it lost all sense. after all of this, i firmly believe that the difference sound files make is about 5%, it will never be the difference everyone wants you to believe

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #56 of 75
I'm sure it has been said, but you need to be using something like foobar2000 with the WASAPI (use WASAPI Push, instead of Event) and there are a few other plugins that help too. 

Take a look here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components

The other thing is if you really want to hear the difference you are going to need either a hell of a speaker setup (my setup can do it with the upgraded/modded ZXR but you are talking $1000+ in audio equipment, I have $350 or so in just the ZXR after opamps and mylars) with a good sound card or a nice set of headphones with a good outboard DAC/AMP.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #57 of 75
Use the abx comparator, that's the proper way to perform a blind test. Background noise has more impact for me than a $1000+ equipment. You'd see people succeeding hard blind test with cheap audio equipment. It's not obvious at all.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #58 of 75
You are saying the difference between 128. 320, and FLAC is small? 128kbps sounds like pure trash. Instantly noticeable in almost any complex song. Between flac and 320, The difference is small to none depending on the song and equipment used.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #59 of 75
  You are saying the difference between 128. 320, and FLAC is small? 128kbps sounds like pure trash. Instantly noticeable in almost any complex song. Between flac and 320, The difference is small to none depending on the song and equipment used.

At lower bit rates, AAC doesn't suffer from as many compression artifacts as MP3.

Anyone who wants to do a proper test can follow this guide.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #60 of 75

Maybe it was the songs i listened or the headphones i have, but i didn't care that mucho about the changes. Y es, flac was more open and clear than the others, and yes, 128 distorts songs, but people should not expect the kinz of difference you get with a new pair of headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back