Trying to get some IEMs
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spud of Doom

New Head-Fier
It seems based on the discussion I've seen here that the HeadDirect/HifiMan ones are probably the best for their price since I live in New Zealand and most things don't ship/sell here for a fair price, but I'm trying to decide which is best for me.

RE2 - $44USD incl shipping
RE2 and Fiio E5 Combo with carry case - $54 USD incl shipping
RE1 with carry case - $79USD +$10 shipping? It says free international shipping on the page though.
RE0 - $89USD incl shipping

I mostly listen to rock and electronic, although lately I'm listening to a wide variety of music, including classical, hiphop and acoustic/vocal stuff. I also realise that the RE1 and particularly the RE0 won't be optimum without an amp on them and an E5 portable amp will set me back another $30USD if I get it separately.

Here are the specs, which are accurate as far as I know:

RE2
Driver unit: 9mm
Impedance 32Ω
Sensitivity 103dB/1mW
Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 18KHZ

RE1
Impedance 150Ω
Sensitivity 103dB/1mW
Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 18KHZ

RE0
Impedance 64Ω
Sensitivity 100dB/1mW
Frequency response: 15Hz ~ 22KHZ

And here's what the case looks like:
2008May07170043re1-1.jpg

2008May07170057re1-2.jpg

Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 14
You've got it backwards, the RE0 are fine without an amp. It's the RE1s that require one. I say go for the RE0 unless you plan on a decent amp. They're closed so there's less soundstage but they've got better isolation.

Also, FWIR the RE1 has a darker, warmer signature, so if that's your thing look more towards those, the RE0 are kinda bright.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 14
I can't say I've listened to a very wide range of headphones. No store I've found around where I live lets you listen to them before you buy, so... Yeah. The only ones I've owned were Denon AH-D1001 and I liked the sound of those, although I can't seem to find a description of their signature.

EDIT: My decision is coming down to a choice between getting the RE0 and possibly picking up an amp later or getting the RE2 with the E5 amp and leaving myself open for an upgrade later down the track.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 14
All I can say is I have the RE0 and the are hands down one of the best bangs for the buck of all my IEMs. The sound detail and clarity from then are just incredible. I hear things with these IEMS that I can only here with my DT48's and SA5K cans.

To me the RE0's are so good I am seriously thinking of picking up another pair to have a spares.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 14
All I can say is I have the RE0 and they are hands down one of the best bangs for the buck of all my IEMs. The sound detail and clarity from then are just incredible. I hear things with these IEMS that I can only hear with my DT48's and SA5K cans.

To me the RE0's are so good I am seriously thinking of picking up another pair to have as spares.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Your best bet is either the RE0 (cool sound) or RE1 (warm sound) with a separately bought amp.

The RE2+E5 combo is a bizarre bundling choice; The RE2s neither require nor benefit from amping.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 14
I wish there was a RE0 + E5 combo
frown.gif

I don't think I'll get the RE1 purely because I won't really have a choice whether I amp it or not. With the RE0 I will still be able to run it unamped at least until I find a decent amp somewhere.
How bad will the bass end on the RE0 be if I run it without an amp?

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 14
I just found out that I should be able to get the Fischer Eterna for about $75usd if I wait 3 weeks. Anybody got a comparison between these 2 IEMs? I can get silver bullets for a few dollars less as well, but I'm not sure if I'd like their signature. I do, however, enjoy the look of them.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Sorry to bump in, but i my self am looking in the RE0/RE1 direction, but where did you find the Eternas?. Could you pass me a link where to buy?

Thanks a lot

Niels

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi again.

Thanks, but i allready ordered from Bugden. There price is ok, and shipment isn´t that expensive.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back