Trying to get back into portable/closed neutral/reference headphones
Apr 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vapman

Member of the Trade: bhobuds.com
Can't do open headphones because there's just too much noise around me most of the time (be it other people, be it studio noise, whatever). I've owned at least 30 different kinds of headphones, 10~ different IEMs during my time here at Head-Fi so I know what's good with headphone signatures.

The thing that makes it more complicated for me is that I'm finding closed headphones to be a necessity. Also, low impedance is also very important as I have to be able to use these unamped out of my iPhone.

I currently only have a Superlux HD681, MEElec HT-21's and VSonic R02 PRO II's in my possession. The HD681s are nice, but they were painfully bright to begin with and became razor sharp after I added some Megami cable. The HT-21's are awesome but they're also prone to being harsh on the mids and highs. If you know what the R02 PRO II sounds like, it's pretty much exactly the sound signature I love.

I had Senn HD 25-1-II's for a while, but I got really sick of the sound signature. Seemed too congested, for lack of a better word. The mids took a lot of getting used to.
Big fan of DT770/880/990, but again, wouldn't be appropriate for outside the studio usage.
Had the Ultrasone PRO 650s, they were nice, but something about them bugged me. Couldn't remember what. I was a huge fan of the Ultrasone HFI580 when I had it, but I could tell all too well that it was low end among high end headphones. That said, I really enjoyed the HFI580 while I had them. I ended up selling them for a more neutral pair of headphones for audio production.
One of my friends has the ATH-M50's which are great, but I thought they were too hollow sounding, I think.

So here I am now. Ideally I would like something as neutral as possible for recording purposes, but I also am definitely a basshead and I want tons of clear and loud sub bass (my main issue with the Etymotics and AKGs i've owned). Maybe I should be looking into DJ headphones? I've been hearing a lot about the Koss PRO DJ 100 but I hear a lot of mixed responses about those and would like the opinion of someone who is familiar with reference headphones. I'm not insisting on something that has a perfectly linear response curve per se but anything that is intended for the purpose which reference headphones typically serve.

I also have been liking what I have been hearing about the Panasonic HTF600, especially the reviews that liken it to a HD650 in terms of similar sound quality. But I already own three pairs of cheap headphones, and I'm on a small budget, so I'd like to spend as little as I have to but I'm willing to spend closer to the $100+ range. I was interested in the M-Audio Q4 (i remember looking at it when i bought the HD25-1-II's) but I remember hearing some people say it was sibilant (can't be having that at all - i'm extremely sensitive to high end sound, so i prefer headphones with less prominent extreme high end).

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 19
Budget? The first one that comes to mind is the Shure SRH840.

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 19
I haven't heard the DJ100. Not a whole lot of people have; it isn't the most popular headphone around here. You might want to ask tdock

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
AKG K701?

OP doesn't want something open.

I like the 840 more than DJ100, for what it's worth. But that may be due to my own preferences (mids were way too much for me on the DJ100, 840 was much more balanced and laidback) Another recommendation if you want some detail monsters: KRK KNS-8400. Wonderful headphone, especially at the price.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 19
yeah i like what i'e heard about the KNS 8400 and SRH840, but my concern with those is if they're going to be very bright. i'm rather sensitive to high pitch frequencies so i still hear all the details when the highs are rolled off, and phones with prominent highs just hurt my ears.

by the way, what about the KNS 6400 in comparison? i heard those have a different sound signature than the 8400 but how so?

i might go and grab the koss dj100's if the KNS are all very bright.

edit: in response to ImperialX's suggestion: one of my friends used to own K701's. i listened to them through a very good warm tube amp and they sounded excellent, but i fear i'd need to invest heavily in an amp like that to even get bass response out of it. but i am a fan of the AKG sound signature (weak bass aside)

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
yeah i like what i'e heard about the KNS 8400 and SRH840, but my concern with those is if they're going to be very bright. i'm rather sensitive to high pitch frequencies so i still hear all the details when the highs are rolled off, and phones with prominent highs just hurt my ears.

by the way, what about the KNS 6400 in comparison? i heard those have a different sound signature than the 8400 but how so?

i might go and grab the koss dj100's if the KNS are all very bright.

edit: in response to ImperialX's suggestion: one of my friends used to own K701's. i listened to them through a very good warm tube amp and they sounded excellent, but i fear i'd need to invest heavily in an amp like that to even get bass response out of it. but i am a fan of the AKG sound signature (weak bass aside)

On second thought maybe you should steer clear from the 8400. It's pretty flat but it's a touch bright. But then again, if you liked the sound coming from a K701 maybe you'll like the 8400.  I'm not sure exactly how the 6400 compares. And personally, I felt that the DJ100 was a bit fatiguing for me, due to the upfront mids. But everyone's ears are different.

The SRH 840 seems to be pretty balanced and more laidback than the others, although I only auditioned them for about 10 min.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 19
^ thanks, that's very helpful knowledge. it's too bad there is nowhere around here i can demo all of these phones.

i think i'll wait for some more input on the KNS because they are very intriguing. i know they're very weak with the bass, but is it more like the bass is there and just not up front or the bass is just not there at all? i'm wondering not only because i love bass but i'm also going to be producing music with these headphones and i need to be able to hear low frequencies, like 10hz-50hz. doesn't need to be in the front but i just need to be able to hear it in the mix.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 19
I think you'll definitely hear it although it's not as upfront as something like the M50. The bass on the 8400, IMO, is very detailed and prominent to my ears and has really good extension. I actually prefer the overall sound to a lot of headphones in that price range and I do like my bass (although I'm not necessarily a basshead). 

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 19
Have you tried the dt1350? They are quite neutral and much more separation than the hd25-1.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
I think you'll definitely hear it although it's not as upfront as something like the M50. The bass on the 8400, IMO, is very detailed and prominent to my ears and has really good extension. I actually prefer the overall sound to a lot of headphones in that price range and I do like my bass (although I'm not necessarily a basshead). 

that sounds good. i'm very intrigued by the KRK headphones so I'm willing to give them a shot, and that's exactly what I didn't like about my friend's M50s. maybe the bass improve with amplifying (like, I have an older NAD stereo amp that would make Grados into bass monsters somehow). could one use them straight out of an iphone/laptop?

Have you tried the dt1350? They are quite neutral and much more separation than the hd25-1.

i would kill for a tesla headphone... but unfortunately that's about double my budget :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 19
i bought some krk 8400's this morning, listened to them for a 5 hour bus ride. i am a huge fan of these so far! definitely see what you mean about amping being necessary for bass (it was there, but it was clear it could have been better amped)

edit: i've had a chance to listen to these driven by my stereo amp. they're good enough out of a low power source but the bass seriously comes alive with a powerful amp. relistening to many old enka cassettes, female vocals are so great on these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back